National News Extinction "Rebellion"

So Extinction Rebellion spend months protesting (mostly via idiotic stunts) that human behaviour is causing climate change and pollution, then something happens which causes everyone to change their lifestyle and pollution drops...

Doesn't that prove they were right all along?

No, clearly it is only about Greta Thunberg......

So Extinction Rebellion spend months protesting (mostly via idiotic stunts) that human behaviour is causing climate change and pollution, then something happens which causes everyone to change their lifestyle and pollution drops...

I`ve never disagreed with the fact that it is human behaviour and volume of population that creates climate change & pollution. :)
We (given the choice) were never going to change, just look at peoples behaviour of late.

Mother Nature stepped in, all of a sudden the need for cheap plastic stuff from China or your holiday flight aren`t there anymore, and as bonus she`s thinning the population down a bit.

1584976381931.png

Nothing to do with Greta.................. our actions have consequences... its the old butterfly flapping its wings thing again.

I`ve never disagreed with the fact that it is human behaviour and volume of population that creates climate change & pollution. :)
We (given the choice) were never going to change, just look at peoples behaviour of late.

Mother Nature stepped in, all of a sudden the need for cheap plastic stuff from China or your holiday flight aren`t there anymore, and as bonus she`s thinning the population down a bit.

View attachment 3234

Nothing to do with Greta.................. our actions have consequences... its the old butterfly flapping its wings thing again.
So you are having a go at someone who shares the same thoughts as you on things like pollution and climate change, but instead of whining on a football forum, she gets off her a**e and tries to make a difference?

So the very thing that some people have been asking society to choose to do, which society has now been made to do, has started working and backing up their point, and that makes them worthy of ridicule because...?

They asked people to make better choices and now that people don’t have any option but to do so, things are rapidly improving. I’m struggling to understand how or why I’m meant to use this to take the P**s out of children. And I’m a man who enjoyed seeing that fake blood hose going mental as much as the next.

So you are having a go at someone who shares the same thoughts as you on things like pollution and climate change, but instead of whining on a football forum, she gets off her a**e and tries to make a difference?

The way it is done alienates people.......... the very people they were trying to convert. They are like a new version of the Jehovah`s Witnesses.

My solution would be a lot swifter and a bit Third Reich. :)

So the very thing that some people have been asking society to choose to do, which society has now been made to do, has started working and backing up their point, and that makes them worthy of ridicule because...?

They asked people to make better choices and now that people don’t have any option but to do so, things are rapidly improving. I’m struggling to understand how or why I’m meant to use this to take the P**s out of children. And I’m a man who enjoyed seeing that fake blood hose going mental as much as the next.

ER are not all "children" it was rammed of "rent-a-protestor" types.

ER are not all "children" it was rammed of "rent-a-protestor" types.
Their age is kind of irrelevant tbh. They’re still mooning people in victory at present.

Speaking of people getting their arses out, I had to do an emergency dash to the local Tesco earlier and noticed that they’re all out of Durex Play. That’s the spirit, Blighty ??

No, because global economies are having to be bailed out and wages subsidised to keep the low paid "in work". It actually proves what unintended consequences some of their demands come with.

A. you seem to have missed the point that was made (that human behaviour is causing climate change and pollution) - the drop in pollution is clearly caused by a change in human activity.

B. I'm not aware that ER or any other activist has claimed that there would be no change required to distribution of wealth or human activity; you appear to be damning an idea you oppose with something it's supporters have never claimed.

Last edited:
The way it is done alienates people.......... the very people they were trying to convert.
That's what revolution is about! It's not as if explaining things rationally with a strong evidence base has been working that well.

In line with many of your other comments, covid is probably more likely to effect some change than humans trying to rationalise or rebel. We will have stark fresh evidence of the negative effects of overpopulation, overconsumption and overproduction, and people may actually start reassessing their values and priorities.

We will have stark fresh evidence of the negative effects of overpopulation, overconsumption and overproduction, and people may actually start reassessing their values and priorities.
Unfortunately, I wouldn't bet on that. The economies of many countries will be in a parlous state and one way to get them going again is to encourage people to spend whatever money they have on the cheapest tat with the largest mark-up.

I have some sympathy with environmental protestors, but Andrew Neil took apart the ER spokesperson with very little effort. In the end he felt sorry for her and eased off.

Politicians of all persuasions would be well advised to avoid being interviewed by Andrew Neil unless they really are fully prepared.

Extinction Rebellion spokesperson quits to become campaigner for nuclear energy.

Extinction Rebellion spokesperson quits to become campaigner for nuclear energy.
I saw that yesterday.... Kind of made me laugh - you'd almost think that COVID has marginalised the organisation and donations had dried up.

Not sure what is says for the Nuclear industry hiring a PR person who struggled in PR? Did they call Methven first? ;)

I saw that yesterday.... Kind of made me laugh - you'd almost think that COVID has marginalised the organisation and donations had dried up.

Not sure what is says for the Nuclear industry hiring a PR person who struggled in PR? Did they call Methven first? ;)
I know I posted it in the SD thread, but seems a shame not to share again!!!

Screenshot_20200625-234028_Twitter.jpg

It’s not such a contradiction. While nuclear has a small but finite risk of serious environmental effects, it can be considered clean compared to the guaranteed ongoing pollution and environmental damage caused by fossil fuels.

It’s not such a contradiction. While nuclear has a small but finite risk of serious environmental effects, it can be considered clean compared to the guaranteed ongoing pollution and environmental damage caused by fossil fuels.
The latest generation of Nuclear Reactors are a great step forward from the ones the UK has today. We should be investing in those to provide a good backstop of power for the UK.

The optics for ER are not good tho!

Back
Top Bottom