National News Extinction "Rebellion"

Just wanna shout at others if we aren't climate "sheep" and baa along with whatever Attenborough of Thunberg say.
Whereas you just want to baa along with Trump? ?

One thing that is apparent though, not a lot of support for Extinction Rebellion from either side on here, they don't appear to be resonating with those who sort of agree with their aims, so how the hell are they going to convince those who don't?

@EY

And in the real world, that will only happen to a degree.

Many people cannot make their kids walk to school (too far, too dangerous), or just walk everywhere. I live in a village with a sh!t bus service. Are you suggesting that all of us who live here cannot go to a supermarket - or a football match?
Buy and scoff as many crisps as you like if the packaging is environmentally friendly.
Tech doesn't last. I am pretty frugal, but a lot of the phone apps I use simply stopped working on my old version, the (built in) battery wouldn't hold a charge and it would not update to to the latest operating system. It was a brick. So (while I completely agree that changing your phone every ten minutes because the colour of the one you have is no longer trendy or it can take a photo with a billion pixels that you only ever look at on the phone screen anyway is ridiculous) that's not much of a goer unless you freeze tech development where it is now. Do that some years ago and we would all be using IBM 386 computers and there would be no mobile phones!
People are not going to sit in the cold if they don't have to. The answer here of course is to make houses more thermally efficient. New builds should have such measures built in by law, including photovolteic or Tesla roof tiles, rainwater saving, proper insulation. That doesn't address the older housing stock of course but it's a start. Many people aren't going to be able to afford to upgrade their existing homes - the government will have to help to some degree (which of course will generate jobs in the private sector to carry out the work). That wouldn't be new, we had some (completely ineffective) cavity wall insulation done under some government scheme and they still offer loft insulation I think. Expand those schemes, advertise them. Ensure all new windows and double glazing sold is in fact thermally efficient triple glazing and produced to a higher standard.
Again, people (in general) will not spend double what they have to for clothes. The solution? To make sure the clothes producers stick to environmental (both in production and disposal) and labour rules - wherever in the world the stuff is made. If they can then sell it at those prices, good luck to them.
Etc etc

The common theme here is that in this consumer society (in which we have been taught that cheaper is better!), companies will continue to churn out cheap rubbish (whether that be a 99p t-shirt or a new-build home) with a large environmental cost because people will buy it - many because they can afford little else. If governments FORCE firms selling/making goods in their country to abide by certain standards and prosecute/ban those who do not abide by that then the option to buy it simply isn't there.

You touch on one of the main problems, there is no standardised coherent recycling strategy. Everyone does their own thing, the difference from Bicester to Thame in what is recycled is marked.

Clothes recycling got a bit of a kicking the other week...

Nail on the head regarding recycling in England/mainland UK absolutely no cohesion or uniformity....to be fair oxford city council recycle more 'recyclables' than most...however what various councils across the county and country accept or not to recycle the differences are immense in the differences....now Bojo has got brexit done (31 jan long gone) maybe the government should standardise recycling with a priority on as much being recycled as possible , everywhere IMO

It's this thinking that is so frustrating, but peeps don't wanna listen. Just wanna shout at others if we aren't climate "sheep" and baa along with whatever Attenborough of Thunberg say.

Yes, that Attenborough knows nothing after spending his whole career looking at the natural world and how it is changing.

Clearly, Standardising recycling across the country is a big ask, many council areas are just not in a position to take this on at present but I think it is something that we should be looking to achieve within the near future.
Public Education will definitely be needed but in the main, big money will be required to fund the construction of many recycling plants to handle the volume of recyclable materials.

Well we can all agree on the dogs dinner that is recycling across the UK. ✅

So Transport................ not an issue for me, I walk the 1.7 miles to work and home, I might get the bus when its tipping down.
Mrs EY has an electric bike for her 3 mile commute or a bus alternative.
We have 2 cars mostly sat on the drive for weekend stuff.

Our nearest town is 10 miles away.
When my daughter was still at home, she had a job there. She could get there on the bus, but the last bus home left town before she finished work. At 5.30pm!
As a consequence we had to drive into town to pick her up every evening, which was crazy. It was either that or a taxi (which of course would have been just as bad environmentally and much more expensive).
Without proper public transport provision, many many people have absolutely no choice other than to use a car.

When my daughter was still at home, she had a job there. She could get there on the bus, but the last bus home left town before she finished work. At 5.30pm!
As a consequence we had to drive into town to pick her up every evening, which was crazy. It was either that or a taxi (which of course would have been just as bad environmentally and much more expensive).
Without proper public transport provision, many many people have absolutely no choice other than to use a car.

Yes and the Beeching cuts, like many of the dire planning and infrastructure decisions of the 60s and 70s, should be reversed as much as is possible.

Agree 100% that without a proper and decent public transport system, ( deep and vicious Tory austerity cuts have decimated bus services over the past ten years), that there is little or no choice other than using a car- even more so for anyone unfortunate to suffer from a disability or limited mobility

However for the younger and fitter off the grid as far as public transport provision is concerned, a possible solution, a greener one at that, could be an electric bicycle?.... good for the enviroment, good for health, and (electric) power assisted on uphill sections too

theres a very good outlet for them on Magdelen road ( between Cowley & Iffley road), very close to the Gold Fishbowl shop

You touch on one of the main problems, there is no standardised coherent recycling strategy. Everyone does their own thing, the difference from Bicester to Thame in what is recycled is marked.

Clothes recycling got a bit of a kicking the other week...

Agree and it really annoys me. The Govt are bringing in a framework for the UK, but even so, we waste so much stuff that we can recycle because people are lazy and the lack of said framework. We also make recycling complicated and people just can't be arsed with it or are ignorant of the latest council diktat.

We've lost the mindset of make do and mend and have to be a lot more thoughtful with what we buy and how we dispose of it. Plastic packaging is a bug bear of mine

Whereas you just want to baa along with Trump? ?
Nah, just enjoy watching him fleece the coats of those sheep ;) .

Although I can't believe he will be the youngest US presidential candidate for their coming election!

Strange irony is that pollution across the globe is dropping like a stone since the Covid-19 Pandemic started to bite.

China stopped producing as much plastic tat.

Planes have, pretty much, been grounded.

People are using cars etc less.

Far fewer avocado`s being flown around the globe. ✅

Good old Mother Nature. ;) :):)

Strange irony is that pollution across the globe is dropping like a stone since the Covid-19 Pandemic started to bite.

China stopped producing as much plastic tat.

Planes have, pretty much, been grounded.

People are using cars etc less.

Far fewer avocado`s being flown around the globe. ✅

Good old Mother Nature. ;) :):)
Has anyone seen Greta Thunberg recently?

Last seen in a park in Bristol in February ;):ROFLMAO:

So Extinction Rebellion spend months protesting (mostly via idiotic stunts) that human behaviour is causing climate change and pollution, then something happens which causes everyone to change their lifestyle and pollution drops...

Doesn't that prove they were right all along?

Back
Top Bottom