National News Extinction "Rebellion"

That's hilarious. Charged with criminal damage when you've failed miserably in your activity - harsh man!

Is this a Brass Eye stunt that hasn't been announced yet? Or a Baron-Cohen one?

It's fair to say they've all gone a bit mad

I see the Bourgeoisie had a nice day out today
EGR7aNhXUAAcZ8A.jpg:large

We're all doomed by massive corporations ruining the planet, etc, etc , but I love McDonalds, their cheap food and their free wifi. ? ;)

To be fair to McDonalds their sustainability programmes and targets are actually quite good. In fact a lot of the massive corporations are leading the way in sustainability and social accountability.

Unfortunately the more I read and see on my social media the less I’m inclined to support Extinction Rebellion. Unless they’re particularly unfortunate in who is selected for interview a lot of the protesters appear to know little other than soundbites.

Even those who may not have been ‘selected’ for interview that I know and see appear on my various feeds appear to lack any specific knowledge other than “beef is bad, flying is bad and would you rather be disrupted now or dead”.

I believe in the science of climate change and wholeheartedly believe we need to work now to prevent irreversible damage for future generations (particularly after just having a son) but having worked fairly heavily for 10 years in industry supporting multi nationals in developing sustainability programmes I do feel some of their anger is misplaced or misunderstood.

It's the hypocrisy of them, if you want zero carbon emissions by 2025, going to McDonalds after protesting is not a way to achieve it - you bring locally sourced organic food with you from home. But as you say, I've not seen much enlightened philosophy from the protestors. I saw a clip of Katie Hopkins arguing with a protestor last night, and there was nary a brain cell on show.

All I can see id a bourgeoisie rabble with unrealistic goals disrupting people's lives because they can, without sustained media pressure on them or criticism of the disruption to people's lives. Outlets like the BBC are rather indulging their hubris and ego.

I think the owner of that twitter account needs to look at themselves before laughing at others.
I can't say I looked deeply into the owner of the account, but regardless of it, the video is the video. They look off their heads on something psychedelic don't they?

I can't say I looked deeply into the owner of the account, but regardless of it, the video is the video. They look off their heads on something psychedelic don't they?
Havent watched it, but they as a group aren't helping their cause at all recently, coming over as a right bunch of idiots. Well the ones the media are focusing on are at least.

Well the ones the media are focusing on are at least.
And that is exactly the point. The vast majority are normal, generally law abiding members of society who are (whether you agree with them or not) concerned about the environment and world governments' lack of movement on climate change. Of course the media focus on the 'dramatic' rather than the bulk of the protests because its more newsworthy. And that suits the deniers and those who would stand to lose from tighter environmental controls.
It's just a way of focusing on the minutiae rather than the actual issues. Big business and government 101.

From twitter:

You know who the real villains are in this climate crisis?" "The corporations purposefully destroying the globe for profit? "No" "The billionaires hoarding money and refusing to help anyone?" "No" "You're gonna say the..." "IT'S THESE YOUNG PEOPLE MOANING ABOUT IT"

Havent watched it, but they as a group aren't helping their cause at all recently, coming over as a right bunch of idiots. Well the ones the media are focusing on are at least.
I've not seen the media cover that at all - it's all been quite polite middle class coverage - even the questioning is polite. It's sad to see the seedy side of ER though - I can't be the only one who thought they were better than that.

Back
Top Bottom