National News Extinction "Rebellion"

I'm being facetious like they are at times.

If I was being truly cheeky, I'd ask for proof that each academic had appropriate qualifications and who financed/finances their work. But I'm not going to do that

Who are "they"?

Both Airbus and Boeing (although they’re a little bit preoccupied) are investing a lot of money in R&D for a whole range of solutions to reduce the environmental impact of flying. Some of these only make small improvements and are in place, however, investment into battery technology and even solar is quite high. A number of your operators are also changing practices when planes are sat on the tarmac in an effort to minimise their impact where possible.

As I’ve written before I completely agree with the need to minimise our environmental impact to ensure the planet can sustain our existence, 100%! I do find myself wondering from time to time whether some of the protesters/groups fully realise what positive things companies are doing and also how it is limited by the advances of science.

There are plenty of people across the world who could never afford the cost of a low cost flight but have a higher environmental impact than someone flying 20+ times per year for work. Unfortunately (at the moment) we seem to be in an era where everything is somehow black and white, no one engages to see how they could work together or compromise to build a better society/sustainable planet.

In the next six weeks I’ll have been working with the lead contractor and client for Europe’s largest onshore wind farm, one of the top fish processing and distribution companies in Europe to work on their sustainable fishing programme and then over to Asia to see if there can be any work done to reduce the impact of battery manufacturing at a couple of companies who have recently set up to supply said wind farm. None of the above could be done through Skype, Teams or any other software solution. Do I recognise that my travel will have a negative impact on the environment, yes, but it also has the potentially to reduce emissions far more than me not travelling.

The Johnathan Pie piece is really good and probably sums up my position fairly well. Ultimately it’s about balance like everything. There’s small things (as have been mentioned in here) that can positively change the Earth for the better without going on a full bore campaign that maligns, alienates, and in some corners antagonises the people you’re trying to influence. On Saturday I spent an hour with someone I’ve known for a few years who’s currently protesting in London and has been for a week or so now. I just found the whole discussion a bit sad in that other than a few buzz words and the occasional reference to big corporation there wasn’t more substance.

I hope they succeed for the most part and that they are ultimately happy with the outcome. I have a feeling they won’t be but we’ll have to wait and see. Aside from it all if it wakes people up to living just a little more sustainably and conscious then that’s a good thing. Doesn’t need to be full bore ‘swampy’ and I think that’s perhaps something a few of them forget.

I'm being facetious like they are at times.

If I was being truly cheeky, I'd ask for proof that each academic had appropriate qualifications and who financed/finances their work. But I'm not going to do that
Oh Lordy. Is that one of these theories that academics can’t possibly be objective because they rely on funding to support their work, while the whole weight of capitalism is based on an intrinsic conflict of interest around money!

Lucky the oil and car companies don't spend any money lobbying against the existence of man-made climate change:

American Petroleum Institute
Koch Brothers, Exxon,
And more.

not to mention Google.

from Wikipaedia:
"Organised campaigning to undermine public trust in climate science is associated with conservative economic policies and backed by industrial interests opposed to the regulation of CO
2 emissions.[20] Climate change denial has been associated with the fossil fuels lobby, the Koch brothers, industry advocates and conservative think tanks, often in the United States.[12][21][22][23] More than 90% of papers sceptical on climate change originate from right-wing think tanks.[24] "

Oh Lordy. Is that one of these theories that academics can’t possibly be objective because they rely on funding to support their work, while the whole weight of capitalism is based on an intrinsic conflict of interest around money!
No

I hope the protests work and they get results. Not sure there will be significant results until capitalism is overthrown.

The Panorama programme last night was good - backed up everything that XR and the experts have been saying. Clearly we can all make changes like revert to electric cars but the government needs to do more to increase charging points ten fold. We can also use cleaner energy in homes, but as it said the government needs to step in to stimulate this around pricing, and defo cut VAT on solar panels etc. We can all cut our footprint drastically and owe it to our kids and grandkids to do so, but the mass changes needed require us to adopt some social responsibility and need government support/incentives. The technology the government are relying on to "wind back the clock" hasn't yet been invented. Calling socially responsible people crusties doesn't help. Anyone in denial is as much a bonehead as our useless politicians who clearly dont want anything to change on their watch - commitments are not enough when you don't back them up with actions. The metropolitan police, banning XR protests is a gross infringement of our rights to free speech and to demonstrate and will surely be thrown out at court. Their brutality against peaceful protesters, I hope also gets punished through the courts. We need to be careful about allowing the UK to become a police state. It isn't what our grandfathers fought for

Last edited:
  • React
Reactions: m
The Proles finally got fed up this morning with the ER Bourgeoisie protesting, this time on trains and it all rather kicked off. While I don't agree with the slaps and verbals the protestors got, surely the Bourgeoisie must understand that some Londoners are more than a bit fed up with their nonsense and want to get to work to pay their bills and get on with their lives? Why target people who aren't clogging London's streets with cars?

Have the Bourgeoisie finally pushed it too far? Even the London Mayor is chippy this morning

Oh my word...
EHEx4cRW4AE7Zc0.png

They deleted this but still. How arrogant and bourgeoisie does this sound?

I hope the protests work and they get results. Not sure there will be significant results until capitalism is overthrown.
And somebody on here suggested that there us too much black and white in discussions these days....

The Panorama programme last night was good - backed up everything that XR and the experts have been saying. Clearly we can all make changes like revert to electric cars but the government needs to do more to increase charging points ten fold. We can also use cleaner energy in homes, but as it said the government needs to step in to stimulate this around pricing, and defo cut VAT on solar panels etc. We can all cut our footprint drastically and owe it to our kids and grandkids to do so, but the mass changes needed require us to adopt some social responsibility and need government support/incentives. The technology the government are relying on to "wind back the clock" hasn't yet been invented. Calling socially responsible people crusties doesn't help. Anyone in denial is as much a bonehead as our useless politicians who clearly dont want anything to change on their watch - commitments are not enough when you don't back them up with actions. The metropolitan police, banning XR protests is a gross infringement of our rights to free speech and to demonstrate and will surely be thrown out at court. Their brutality against peaceful protesters, I hope also gets punished through the courts. We need to be careful about allowing the UK to become a police state. It isn't what our grandfathers fought for
I agree with a lot of the protestors aims but wonder where the protestors are in China and Brazil and Russia.
Trying to stop the London Tube though in my view is pure stupidity. A BA jet? I can just about get that but trains?

...and if this behavior took place anywhere near a football match, or after a football match, I wonder how differently the situation would be dealt with? .... including the rather large chappy in the foreground at the end of the footage, who appears to kick and/or stamp on the protester laid on the platform ? :oops: :unsure::cautious:

See if you can go a post on this thread without using the word 'bourgeoisie' ? ?
It's my personal challenge to get bourgeoisie into every single post.
source.gif

I agree with a lot of the protestors aims but wonder where the protestors are in China and Brazil and Russia.
Trying to stop the London Tube though in my view is pure stupidity. A BA jet? I can just about get that but trains?
My feeling is that some in ER are quite frustrated with the order in place and wanted to still make their point. They didn't think about the reception they'd receive in Canning Town, or were perhaps assuming that the bubble they exist in is a London wide one. Even the protestors at Shadwell were met with a little force from people who want to get on with their lives.

I suppose working people are fed up of being yapped at by a bunch of bourgeoisie poseurs? People have been remarkably tolerant and understanding, but at some point, we just want to earn our crust and live our lives without the fuss or hysteria.

Everyone realises that for a protest to be effective you actually have to P**s people off, right? If no one is inconvenienced, no one notices. The fact that a bunch of people on here are complaining about it and are a little bit triggered by the demographics of the protestors is probably a good sign for how the protest is going!

Back
Top Bottom