National News Extinction "Rebellion"

I think Extinction Rebellion amongst others like Greta Thunberg are doing a pretty good job. They are forcing the debate on the international agenda. Because we all agree things urgently have to change drastically.

Don‘t we?

Scientists support Extinction Rebellion

We believe that the continued governmental inaction over the climate and ecological crisis now justifies peaceful and non-violent protest and direct action, even if this goes beyond the bounds of the current law,"

"We therefore support those who are rising up peacefully against governments around the world that are failing to act proportionately to the scale of the crisis,"

There were ER protesters in Leicester City centre on Saturday. They were outnumbered by the Hare Krishna folk. They did nothing except loiter by the "Save our NHS" Union stall.
They must also have missed the news about the funding.... https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/local-news/leicester-hospitals-gets-huge-450m-3372784

Of course that building work, the staff etc etc etc....will impact the climate...but we need it....can`t have it both ways eh?

The only way to stop, rather than reduce, climate change is to put the brakes on and hard.

Ban all air travel, don`t need it.
Stop all countries importing food.
Stop the import of "stuff".

We are all happy with that aren`t we?

Britain hasn’t been self sufficient in food since at least the 19th century.

The only way to stop, rather than reduce, climate change is to put the brakes on and hard.

Ban all air travel, don`t need it.
Stop all countries importing food.
Stop the import of "stuff".

We are all happy with that aren`t we?
Project fear, or project head in the sand. I'm not sure which.

Britain hasn’t been self sufficient in food since at least the 19th century.

I know that, we`ve been importing & exporting since Roman times, on boats.....with sails...or oars & slaves, carbon neutral travel! :)

The point being nobody wants to, or can, wind the clock back to the times we made less impact on the climate.
Neither can "we" deny those in other populace countries who desire the things we have.
We can`t stop it, we can only minimise the impact in a very,very small way......and its probably too late for that as well as the planet has become more populated.

Yes I`ll do my bit, because it is the right thing to do....not because some 16 year told me too.
Yes I`ll do my bit, because it is the right thing to do.... millions will not.
Yes I`ll do my bit, because it is the right thing to do..... it won`t change the life of a child mining lithium or cobalt.
Yes I`ll do my bit, because it is the right thing to do...... ;)

Project fear, or project head in the sand. I'm not sure which.

OK, lets go for one then.

Air travel, particularly "leisure"....................... not necessary for any reason.

Let`s all stop flying off on holidays tomorrow.

Good with that?

And some quickly acquired "stats" about European air travel,
"In Europe, the average airline fuel consumption per passenger in 2017 was 3.4 L/100 km (69 mpg‑US), 24% less than in 2005, but as the traffic grew by 60% to 1,643 billion passenger kilometres CO₂ emissions were up by 16% to 163 million tonnes for 99.8 g/km CO₂ per passenger."

Still good with holidays at home?

The problem with air travel is that the cost to the consumer (not only for the fuel, staff etc) SHOULD include the amount it will take in the future to clean up the mess it makes. And that's the case with all polluting/destructive technology - charge the real cost and then people will be free to choose how to spend their money. If you are desperate to go to Malaga and are willing to pay the £400 (or whatever) each way then fine. If you can't pay the fare, you cannot go.

Not charging the whole cost does not make the extra future cost disappear - it just means that someone else has to pay for it later. Ditto cleaning up nuclear waste, industrial pollution etc.

We should ban the use of private jets as well and also first class air travel. Further, we should put a mezzanine in aircraft to cram as many people in as possible, reducing the CO2 emissions per person further.... ;)

And also ensure protestors clean up their own mess and recycle it all so that they can understand the impact of their protesting on the environment, along with a pollution levy on protests due to the amount of people stood around doing nothing, etc etc

Scientists support Extinction Rebellion

We believe that the continued governmental inaction over the climate and ecological crisis now justifies peaceful and non-violent protest and direct action, even if this goes beyond the bounds of the current law,"

"We therefore support those who are rising up peacefully against governments around the world that are failing to act proportionately to the scale of the crisis,"
So they are academics and not scientists?

Eh? A large proportion of academics are scientists.
I'm being facetious like they are at times.

If I was being truly cheeky, I'd ask for proof that each academic had appropriate qualifications and who financed/finances their work. But I'm not going to do that

The problem with air travel is that the cost to the consumer (not only for the fuel, staff etc) SHOULD include the amount it will take in the future to clean up the mess it makes. And that's the case with all polluting/destructive technology - charge the real cost and then people will be free to choose how to spend their money. If you are desperate to go to Malaga and are willing to pay the £400 (or whatever) each way then fine. If you can't pay the fare, you cannot go.

Not charging the whole cost does not make the extra future cost disappear - it just means that someone else has to pay for it later. Ditto cleaning up nuclear waste, industrial pollution etc.

However we give people credit so they can go to Malaga.............. its just part of the consumerist chain.
"We" are consuming the resources and making the mess that, without doubt, will kill "us" all off.

Ho hum.

Luckily we used our Jet2 voucher!!

However we give people credit so they can go to Malaga.............. its just part of the consumerist chain.
Not sure I understand that. People can have credit, yes. Why does that mean they shouldn't pay the proper cost of air travel? The debt would then be theirs rather than some future 'other person'. And unless you are advocating unlimited credit with no interest charges for everyone, people wouldn't be able to do that for long!

Seems odd to be “blockading” the BOE .
The banks symbolise everything that is evil and funding the spread of CO2 apparently.
Strange that, as it will be the same banks that will be funding the technological advances that will lead to the reduction of CO2 etc.

OK, lets go for one then.

Air travel, particularly "leisure"....................... not necessary for any reason.

Let`s all stop flying off on holidays tomorrow.

Good with that?

I'm good with that as I've never flown (unless you count a Glider) anyway. :)

Back
Top Bottom