National News Extinction "Rebellion"

The way I see it, only a huge scientific breakthrough (nuclear fusion/fission) is going to save us now so we might as well crack on and hope for the best.

I'd actually respect ER if they were doing cool s**t like sabotaging HS2 instead of targeting the little man.

I'd actually respect ER if they were doing cool s**t like sabotaging HS2 instead of targeting the little man.
I'd expect they would be more in favour of HS2 than against due to mass transit systems being generally better for the environment than personal transportation.

I do think that ER despite fighting for an important cause do manage to P**s off a lot of people who are generally on-board with the overall environmental message.

The way I see it, only a huge scientific breakthrough (nuclear fusion/fission) is going to save us now so we might as well crack on and hope for the best.

They've made some steps forward with fusion but still likely decades away sadly.

In one of the most environmentally improved countries in the world?
Maybe they should try China, India, Russia?
Totally agree. They won't protest in the countries with the most environmentally chaotic policies because they would receive short shrift from the authorities and get a good clip round the ear and a spell in prison. Here we give them loads of publicity and indulge their" infringement of civil rights" when they don't care a stuff about the general population s rights to get to work and earn a living

The ‘but look at China!’ argument does my head in when it comes to climate change.

The argument would be legitimate if China was a closed shop who manufactured for its own needs only but it’s a global superpower who trades with the west. Spin the majority of the plastic crap in your home over and see ‘Made in China’ on it. Blame them all you want but if the west is buying it, they’re just as culpable.

Parochial thinking and naval gazing is one of the many reasons why ER are needed. Mother Nature won’t pick and choose those who are sustainable and those who aren’t. It’ll take out everybody unless the world changes and that includes the manufacturers and the enablers of colossal carbon emissions.

Before a country tries to take the moral high ground and starts telling other countries what they should be doing it need to be doing everything it can (or at least making a fair fist of it) in the first place. Surely.

Before a country tries to take the moral high ground and starts telling other countries what they should be doing it need to be doing everything it can (or at least making a fair fist of it) in the first place. Surely.

We are - except for the consumers buying cheap plastic sh!te from China.

Meanwhile who needs a gas guzzling diesel to get her kids to "rugby & football" on a Sunday?

That`ll be the founder of XR then..... https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/08/23/extinction-rebellion-founder-admits-drives-diesel-car/

Have they not got legs or bikes?

its probably just me .... whenever I hear about a rebellion, any rebellion, Marlon Brando playing 'Johnny', in the Wild One comes to mind.... ( with the timeless line) ....

Meanwhile ‘compassionate’ Harry and Meghan who spend hours preaching about the environment and our carbon footprint continue to chug to and from their £14 million mansion in a series gas-guzzling SUV and back and forth from polo matches on free private jet flights…

Meanwhile ‘compassionate’ Harry and Meghan who spend hours preaching about the environment and our carbon footprint continue to chug to and from their £14 million mansion in a series gas-guzzling SUV and back and forth from polo matches on free private jet flights…
Does that change the validity of their message though? If they lived in a mud hut in the woods, or stabbed seals every morning, it wouldn’t change the accuracy (or lack of it) of their message.

Also, 100 companies have been the source of more than 70% of the world’s greenhouse gas emissions since 1988. It’s big business that is polluting the earth. But the media make sure that anyone who tries to promote a green message is ridiculed and pointed out that they also exist in the world, have cars and don’t ride donkeys everywhere. I wonder why 🤔 Could they be owned by anyone with an agenda?

I'd expect they would be more in favour of HS2 than against due to mass transit systems being generally better for the environment than personal transportation.

I do think that ER despite fighting for an important cause do manage to P**s off a lot of people who are generally on-board with the overall environmental message.
I've heard that if you took the top 6 cruise-liners (vessels, not the companies themselves) out of business it would have the environmental equivalent of taking every car in Europe off the road.

HS2 is going to destroy so much land and ancient woodland it's almost sickening.

I want to get behind a group who can do damage to these bigger ticket items. Blocking roads really turns me off / increases congestion and pollution and reduces air quality 😭

I wonder how many people have actually changed their opinion because of ER

I've heard that if you took the top 6 cruise-liners (vessels, not the companies themselves) out of business it would have the environmental equivalent of taking every car in Europe off the road.

HS2 is going to destroy so much land and ancient woodland it's almost sickening.

I want to get behind a group who can do damage to these bigger ticket items. Blocking roads really turns me off / increases congestion and pollution and reduces air quality 😭

I agree. ER turns people off by their weird actions. Mucking about with normal life does not endear you. Probably same people on these activities are the same people covid deniers

Well I guess large-scale action like that has been the traditional preserve of Greenpeace. And nobody gave a f**k about them, because they didn't impact anyone's daily life.

XR at least keep the conversation going, albeit at the cost to themselves you mention.

Therein lies the paradox.

(I don't know the answer)

Does that change the validity of their message though? If they lived in a mud hut in the woods, or stabbed seals every morning, it wouldn’t change the accuracy (or lack of it) of their message.

Also, 100 companies have been the source of more than 70% of the world’s greenhouse gas emissions since 1988. It’s big business that is polluting the earth. But the media make sure that anyone who tries to promote a green message is ridiculed and pointed out that they also exist in the world, have cars and don’t ride donkeys everywhere. I wonder why 🤔 Could they be owned by anyone with an agenda?

Exactly.

Society spends its time chastising those who have failings despite preaching a good message than chasing after those who don’t give a s**t. I try my best to recycle, walk and take public transport to places, reduce my meat content and seek out environmentally better alternatives. However I’m also human, living in the UK and have a limited number of hours to dedicate to other needs - I drive a diesel car, take the occasional flight and buy plastic stuff from time to time.

I’m not perfect and nor do I ask anyone to be. I do expect everyone - individual or business - to try better though. 95% people trying to be sustainable but falling short in some areas is better than 5% who live a truly carbon neutral existence.

... and HS2 doesnt have any tangible benefit for anyone living along the route either

I don't think it was ER, but, a couple of years ago in Brighton (August BH weekend) was deffo a sizable bunch of grubby looking treehuggers (with drums) causing unnecessary problems - Brighton had seemingly more roadworks ongoing than even Oxford at that time, so traffic was already very slow-moving, then compounded by a sizable march of hippie types- protesting about vehicle emissions, which brought Brighton to total, non-moving gridlock , by slowly marching along the seafront towards Hove, tunelessly banging drums out of time.... the irony of their actions seemed to be totally oblivious to them ....... and, they pissed me right off ,as I needed to head off in the opposite direction , but couldn't, not for over 40 minutes, until they'd passed, and the gridlock they'd caused in both directions had cleared- very slowly

No we are not. We are nibbling at the edges. Be honest with yourself.

Having completed several carbon footprint surveys I know EY Towers is well below the UK average.
That is my nibbling done, other things sit outside of our control with or without protests.

We are back to over-population and over-consumption again.
As people want "everyone to have the same" both population & consumption continues to consume the planet.

Having completed several carbon footprint surveys I know EY Towers is well below the UK average.
That is my nibbling done, other things sit outside of our control with or without protests.

We are back to over-population and over-consumption again.
As people want "everyone to have the same" both population & consumption continues to consume the planet.
From what you've posted before I have no doubt you are doing 'your bit' (more than possibly). Having an obvious passion for the matter I don't understand why you are believe our government is doing what it can when it clearly isn't.

It almost becomes like peeing into the wind when things like this happen in Germany.

And for perspective.....

Well Switzerland are trying to do their bit:

Back
Top Bottom