National News Extinction "Rebellion"

I saw that yesterday.... Kind of made me laugh - you'd almost think that COVID has marginalised the organisation and donations had dried up.

Not sure what is says for the Nuclear industry hiring a PR person who struggled in PR? Did they call Methven first? ;)

The bloke clearly didn't fail at PR as ER has been headline news for quite a while nationally and internationally.

The bloke clearly didn't fail at PR as ER has been headline news for quite a while nationally and internationally.
Did you see her interviewed by Andrew Neil? I'd argue that interview exposed ER for what they are at a time of the peak of their popularity.

Did you see her interviewed by Andrew Neil? I'd argue that interview exposed ER for what they are at a time of the peak of their popularity.

No but she was part of a group that prior to Coronavirus was at the very top of headlines/agenda nationally and internationally pushing climate change action so in PR terms that is successful.

No but she was part of a group that prior to Coronavirus was at the very top of headlines/agenda nationally and internationally pushing climate change action so in PR terms that is successful.
They were even successful enough to get a thread titled "Extinction Rebellion" active for many months on an obscure League 1 football forum ...
Hard to criticise, really.

It’s not such a contradiction. While nuclear has a small but finite risk of serious environmental effects, it can be considered clean compared to the guaranteed ongoing pollution and environmental damage caused by fossil fuels.
Huh? Any idea how close we came to large parts of Russia/Eastern Europe being completely uninhabitable after Chernobyll? We got huge contamination from that even here, where the lamb industry in Wales for example was wiped out. There is no place for nuclear power, whether it be in weapons or power stations. We can't safely handle the waste and when the plant goes "BANG!" the earth pays the price.

Huh? Any idea how close we came to large parts of Russia/Eastern Europe being completely uninhabitable after Chernobyll? We got huge contamination from that even here, where the lamb industry in Wales for example was wiped out. There is no place for nuclear power, whether it be in weapons or power stations. We can't safely handle the waste and when the plant goes "BANG!" the earth pays the price.
My post said "a small but finite risk of serious environmental effects". The fact that you can probably name all of the actual and near-miss nuclear accidents ever supports that. How do the effects of Tchernobyl stack up against the constant and persistent environmental effects of fossil fuels? What proportion of of the Earth's surface is being made unihabitable by after global warming? We can't safely handle the fossil fuel waste and smouldering year-on-year the earth pays the price.

What do we do with all the spent but still heavily radioactive waste left over by the nuclear industry? At the moment, the attitude is that we bury it quite deep, hope nothing happens and leave it up to future generations to sort out. Which is (of course) exactly the wrong attitude and what has got us into this mess in the first place!

In one of the most environmentally improved countries in the world?
Maybe they should try China, India, Russia?

Maybe this country should continue to improve and set an example by doing our small bit (ie. grants to support replacing Gas Boilers with air source heating systems, improving insulation in old housing stock etc). Plenty that this country can be doing.

Maybe this country should continue to improve and set an example by doing our small bit (ie. grants to support replacing Gas Boilers with air source heating systems, improving insulation in old housing stock etc). Plenty that this country can be doing.

It almost becomes like peeing into the wind when things like this happen in Germany.

And for perspective.....

It almost becomes like peeing into the wind when things like this happen in Germany.

And for perspective.....

Still doesn't stop us getting our house in order, if nothing else for local air quality etc.

Still doesn't stop us getting our house in order, if nothing else for local air quality etc.

Jigger me, I thought it was a global problem?
Surely everyone should be doing their bit as that air stuff gets around a bit...........in fact its everywhere. ;)

Back
Top Bottom