National News Extinction "Rebellion"

Fear not .....swampy is out of a 10 year retirement & back to save us all ;)

I see the Bourgeoisie had a nice day out today
EGR7aNhXUAAcZ8A.jpg:large

We're all doomed by massive corporations ruining the planet, etc, etc , but I love McDonalds, their cheap food and their free wifi. ? ;)

How do we know what they were ordering? They could have had their water bottle refilled, having a coffee from a Keep Cup or ordering a veggie meal. This photo has lazily done the rounds as proof that all of ER are somehow hypocrites.

They could have been ordering a meal with meat and, you know what, who cares if they do? As I said in the climate change thread, we can't go and live in the woods. The modern world still exists and these people seek to make it better. Some may come across as anti-establishment hippies with nothing better to do than camp out like the world is one big festival, but let's judge the collective instead. They're bothering to do something and they're getting noticed. The people who should be chastised are those who do nothing at all, not those who try but aren't perfect.

95% people living sustainably imperfectly is better than 5% living totally carbon neutrally. Let's aim for that instead.

How do we know what they were ordering? They could have had their water bottle refilled, having a coffee from a Keep Cup or ordering a veggie meal. This photo has lazily done the rounds as proof that all of ER are somehow hypocrites.

They could have been ordering a meal with meat and, you know what, who cares if they do? As I said in the climate change thread, we can't go and live in the woods. The modern world still exists and these people seek to make it better. Some may come across as anti-establishment hippies with nothing better to do than camp out like the world is one big festival, but let's judge the collective instead. They're bothering to do something and they're getting noticed. The people who should be chastised are those who do nothing at all, not those who try but aren't perfect.

95% people living sustainably imperfectly is better than 5% living totally carbon neutrally. Let's aim for that instead.

Is going on a march doing something? Just a jolly to make yourself feel good really.

This interview by an ER spokes person last night sums the movement up nicely:

It was quite a forensic take down on the facts from ER, not the emotionally verbose stuff the media have been reporting. Bourgeoisie project fear at its finest....

I have some sympathy with environmental protestors, but Andrew Neil took apart the ER spokesperson with very little effort. In the end he felt sorry for her and eased off.

Politicians of all persuasions would be well advised to avoid being interviewed by Andrew Neil unless they really are fully prepared.

This interview by an ER spokes person last night sums the movement up nicely:

It was quite a forensic take down on the facts from ER, not the emotionally verbose stuff the media have been reporting. Bourgeoisie project fear at its finest....
I love Andrew Neil, took the alarmest rhetoric apart, it seemed a bit unfair to have the little antelope in with the lion. It's interesting when it's put to the ER people what is required to achieve the the 2025 target which I understand is their aim, they don't seem to want to detail it.

I have some sympathy with environmental protestors, but Andrew Neil took apart the ER spokesperson with very little effort. In the end he felt sorry for her and eased off.

Politicians of all persuasions would be well advised to avoid being interviewed by Andrew Neil unless they really are fully prepared.
Or, they actually have some verified factual information, are articulate enough to present that information and, are not just scaremongering.

But presumably none of the naysayers on here are daft enough to deny that there IS climate change?

And that being the case, even if your informed opinion is that it isn't changing as fast as some fear, isn't it better to try and at least slow it down as much as possible? And even if you don't think that, then you must concede that fossil fuels are finite. And then you have to say that while you might not sympathise with the way ER go about things, and may even think they are alarmist and only have a march as a 'jolly', that what they are doing is bringing the whole matter to people's attention and keeping it near the top of the news agenda (although of course, not knowing your facts is simply idiotic). And that MUST be a good thing.

I suggest that if you want solid scientific facts about this, you read the stuff climate scientists have written and don't rely on either the apologists OR ER. Having done so to at least some degree, I know who I sympathise with...

But presumably none of the naysayers on here are daft enough to deny that there IS climate change?

And that being the case, even if your informed opinion is that it isn't changing as fast as some fear, isn't it better to try and at least slow it down as much as possible? And even if you don't think that, then you must concede that fossil fuels are finite. And then you have to say that while you might not sympathise with the way ER go about things, and may even think they are alarmist and only have a march as a 'jolly', that what they are doing is bringing the whole matter to people's attention and keeping it near the top of the news agenda (although of course, not knowing your facts is simply idiotic). And that MUST be a good thing.

I suggest that if you want solid scientific facts about this, you read the stuff climate scientists have written and don't rely on either the apologists OR ER. Having done so to at least some degree, I know who I sympathise with...
The issue with ER is their rhetoric is now affecting young people who believe that the world is ending, etc, etc, when most of us can see it won't be in those silly time frames unless a non-environmental issue occurs.

I don't think many people can deny the we've fouled up our home and have to be so much better than we are over many areas such as fuels, power, pesticides, but the stuff that comes from people like ER is just shrill bourgeoisie fire stoking that I can only assume will turn some people off of what we need to do because they are fed up of being patronised and disrupted.

Where ever there is an opinion there are extremists on both ends of the spectrum. The reality normally lies somewhere in the middle.
Yes the planet is warming, yes a lot has to do with human influence.
However can we stop other countries gaining the luxuries that we have?
Can we stop our insatiable demand for goods?
Can we take a step back?

I doubt it, sorry Greta, you are as much the cause as the solution.

i guess some people are just fed up of lack of action.
when i studied horticulture in the early 90s we did a bit on ecology and environmental issues and even back then the same arguments were being discussed.
here we are nearly 30 years later and still too much talking.
not saying i support what ER are doing, but at least they’re doing something

I doubt it, sorry Greta, you are as much the cause as the solution.
Really? There are multi-nationals and governments burning up resources as if there is no tomorrow (!) and a 16 year old girl who has spoken out against is it 'as much the cause as the solution'? She may or may not be the solution (I don't think she would think she is the solution herself!) but she certainly isn't the cause!
I get that as an old chap you aren't keen on being lectured by a child - I am in the same boat - but that doesn't actually make her wrong.
And let's not focus on one person - the issue is much, much bigger than that.

Last edited:
i guess some people are just fed up of lack of action.
when i studied horticulture in the early 90s we did a bit on ecology and environmental issues and even back then the same arguments were being discussed.
here we are nearly 30 years later and still too much talking.
not saying i support what ER are doing, but at least they’re doing something
But in that, there is a kind of arrogance that they think they know what the biggest issue is based on their feelings and perhaps do not understand that others may not see it that way or other priorities are bigger - a big recession for example. So we have an epic bourgeoisie strop that is getting more and random as it goes on.

I can't help but feel environmentalists have fallen into a Boy Who Called Wolf scenario and do not understand that if you keep saying Wolf and nothing bad happens, people will stop listening to you. My feeling is a big majority of people understand we need to look after this planet a lot better, but are fed up of the every 10 years the ice caps will be gone, oil run out, etc etc. We aren't stupid.

Oxford Mail reporting they are going to do some form of protest at 5:30 heading from the City Centre to East Oxford.

Oxford Mail reporting they are going to do some form of protest at 5:30 heading from the City Centre to East Oxford.
aim being to gridlock Oxford by snarling up the Plain roundabout, affecting London road, Cowley road, Iffley road and Magdalen bridge

Back
Top Bottom