EFL Extending the Season

Next season starts in July due to the world Cup taking place in the winter. Can't see how they can extend unless they are going to scrap the play offs?
Must admit I'd forgotten about that point, guess it just further reduces chances of it happening.

I think they'll be left disappointed if they think the football community will give two shits for the situation Wigan find themselves in.

Tough luck Wigan. Why should other L1 teams like ourselves who have got games on even with Covid stretching our squad to breaking point suffer because they haven't and because they've had Cup success. They could have always put out weak teams in the Cup and still can if fixture backlog is a potential problem for them. I remember us seeming to play Tuesday/Saturday for January/February when doing well in Cups a few seasons a go and I don't remember any suggestion of the season being extended for player safety. As I say tough luck Wigan, use your squad, so I have no sympathy as fixture backlogs have happened for a couple of teams across the leagues every season since I can remember (bar the cut short season) and Covid isn't a justification.

Also, I've played in local teams where we were playing Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Saturday for 2 or 3 weeks and reasonable standard non league teams higher up have had similar schedules for longer.

f**k Wigan and their deluded fan base. Strangest lot of fans I’ve come across in years.

f**k Wigan and their deluded fan base. Strangest lot of fans I’ve come across in years.

Their belief that we intentionally travelled up to Wigan and wasted our own fans time and money by calling the game off at midday on the day of the match was a legitimate plan was one of the weirder points of the season.

Sorry, Wigan. It happens from time to time that one team has a number of games in hand. It just so happens to be you this season. Suck it up and get them played.

f**k them, shorten the season, get the league done by the end of March and the play offs by mid April.

Of course, the funny thing is that the other team that has the most games still left to play in League One is AFC Wimbledon - despite the fact that they are absurdly proud of not having had any cases, or having had to postpone any games themselves because of Covid. They've just had a succession of their opponents calling off games.

Not that I think the season should be extended for their benefit for a second......but the World Cup is only going to bring forward the next league season by a week. It's not going to be a massive impact on League One (although the Championship is going to be a mess next year - start one week early, have a five week break in the middle.....everyone's going to be having a dramatically condensed schedule)

Back
Top Bottom