Ex Player Ex-Player Thread

I remember watching Robbie Cundy and Aaron Martin as the CB pairing in a pre-season friendly at Solihull and posting on the forum that I thought they were so good that they would see us to the championship.
Which is why I don't manage a football club...

Cundy clearly has something about him for Bristol City to give him a chance. From memory, didn’t he score an unusually high number of goals for the youth team?

Cundy clearly has something about him for Bristol City to give him a chance. From memory, didn’t he score an unusually high number of goals for the youth team?

Remember him being one of our better players for the Youth team on the occasions I saw them play but don't remember about goals. He for whatever reason didn't get a chance in the 1st team or didn't kick on in training with us so good luck to him as he looked to have potential.

Which is why I hope Nico Jones gets more chances this season. As a minimum, if the Abomination Trophy is played then he plays in everyone of those games and is considered part of the 1st team squad.

Remember him being one of our better players for the Youth team on the occasions I saw them play but don't remember about goals. He for whatever reason didn't get a chance in the 1st team or didn't kick on in training with us so good luck to him as he looked to have potential.

Which is why I hope Nico Jones gets more chances this season. As a minimum, if the Abomination Trophy is played then he plays in everyone of those games and is considered part of the 1st team squad.
With the salary cap and probable squad size restrictions, dev' squad and youth team players are more likely to get first team squad cameos across L1 &L2 ...although as we know KR isn't adverse to featuring youngsters, having used a number of them in the first team squad for various games

With the salary cap and probable squad size restrictions, dev' squad and youth team players are more likely to get first team squad cameos across L1 &L2 ...although as we know KR isn't adverse to featuring youngsters, having used a number of them in the first team squad for various games
i'd say everyone prefers to see one of the youngsters given a runout instead of some journeyman loan player as we have seen over the years. Fairplay to KR for having it in his arsenal as part of the clubs development system
edited due to fat finger small keyboard syndrome

I love how Cundy’s height is listed everywhere as 6’2” when the guy is easily 6’5”. That would make he and Jake Wright only an inch apart ;)

He looks like he’s filled out a bit - never thought he was overly skinny but he wasn’t that stocky either. Now he looks like a bit of a unit. Will be really interesting to see if he starts regularly at L2 level and if so how he gets on.

Anyone got any interesting player interaction stories? One came back to me earlier, I was viewing a house in Kirtlington but got a bit lost so I tried to hunt out a local for directions, so low and behold in his garden was all of the alleged 6 foot of Jake Wright. Stumbled over my words abit and pretended I didn't know who he was. Really lovely bloke though and helped me find the house no issue.

Last edited:
  • React
Reactions: MJB
Had a long chat with Beano when I was in the hospital. Lovely bloke and a club legend.

Anyone got any interesting player interaction stories? One came back to me earlier, I was viewing a house in Kirtlington but got a bit lost so I tried to hunt out a local for directions, so low and behold in his garden was all of the alleged 6 foot of Jake Wright. Stumbled over my words abit and pretended I didn't know who he was. Really lovely bloke though and helped me find the house no issue.
I saw Ricardinho in the Coop! Looking very cross. It was after the season had ended so maybe a meeting about a new contract hadn’t gone well.

I kicked Darren Purse in the shin when trying to tackle him in an Open Day players vs kids game. Stuart Massey picked me up as a result and put me over his shoulder, as you do.

There’s a picture of me in the Beach Road Stand getting autographs from the players in summer 96. The last photo is one of Matt Elliott showing me, a 12-year-old boy, his leg as he was recovering from a tight groin. Odd.

Was awarded football awards by Joey and Jim Magilton too. Joey said nowt from memory, but Jim answered a question to say he preferred Brian Horton to Denis Smith, as they used to run less.

Was going to save these for the memoirs...

On one of our rare visits back to Oxford, we bumped into Alex MacDonald in George St. He was Billy’s favourite player at the time (because he’d been nicest when he was a mascot - that day he discovered that his previous favourite, Liam Sercombe was a bit up himself), but Billy was so star struck he couldn’t say a word.

I remember watching Robbie Cundy and Aaron Martin as the CB pairing in a pre-season friendly at Solihull and posting on the forum that I thought they were so good that they would see us to the championship.
Which is why I don't manage a football club...
Give me a thousand stories like this over people arguing who is more in the know, any day of the week.

Gino van Kessel is the best footballer I've seen since Ricky Sappleton, whilst Lee Bradbury and Tommy Mooney will get you c.70 goals a season in L2.

On one of our rare visits back to Oxford, we bumped into Alex MacDonald in George St. He was Billy’s favourite player at the time (because he’d been nicest when he was a mascot - that day he discovered that his previous favourite, Liam Sercombe was a bit up himself), but Billy was so star struck he couldn’t say a word.

No one ever has a bad word to say about AM

Give me a thousand stories like this over people arguing who is more in the know, any day of the week.

Gino van Kessel is the best footballer I've seen since Ricky Sappleton, whilst Lee Bradbury and Tommy Mooney will get you c.70 goals a season in L2.

No one ever has a bad word to say about AM
Unless your name's Lawrence Vigouroux

I kicked Darren Purse in the shin when trying to tackle him in an Open Day players vs kids game. Stuart Massey picked me up as a result and put me over his shoulder, as you do.

There’s a picture of me in the Beach Road Stand getting autographs from the players in summer 96. The last photo is one of Matt Elliott showing me, a 12-year-old boy, his leg as he was recovering from a tight groin. Odd.

Was awarded football awards by Joey and Jim Magilton too. Joey said nowt from memory, but Jim answered a question to say he preferred Brian Horton to Denis Smith, as they used to run less.

Was going to save these for the memoirs...

Ah Joey. I remember he was the guest of honour at a u12s final I was reffing at the Manor and he obviously didn't like Refs as he couldn't have shaken our hands and moved on any quicker! ?

Last edited:
  • React
Reactions: MJB
Surprised you found Liam Sercombe to be like that. I bumped into him twice at Tesco Cowley. Both times with his wife who was a good character and very nice. I was with my wife and we went into the cafe. I asked Liam for a selfie and he said yes, his wife then said sit down and have a coffee with us. We chatted for about 20 minutes and we all got on really well. They loved it in Oxfordshire. It was just before the Boxing day game against Exeter and Liam said he couldn't wait for the game as all their family would be there. We won 3-0 and he bagged the last goal. Saw him there a few weeks later and he stopped for a quick chat.
Saw quite a few players there during the Appleton era.

Alex Dyer , now manager of Kilmarnock keeps Celtic below Ross County

Back
Top Bottom