Ex Player Ex-Player Thread

e03a75e6f1ade76659ae3ba8731e1f7f.jpg

Interesting feature on Mapples in tomorrow’s i.

It’s a familiar story but good to hear it again from Jamie in his own words.

When we talk of ‘most talented’ home grown players we tend to overlook Brooks. He only had one full season with us which was pretty miserable overall but good for him to when the Arsenal call came in. What happened to him was cruel and touch and go for a worryingly long time.

It was remarkable to see him back on the pitch but he never looked the same. The pace he had was extinguished and he never looked sharp, always looking like a rusty player returning to fitness.

Regardless of that, his health should always come first and it’s great to know he’s doing well now and has his mental health in check too. Having that opportunity taken away would challenge anyone. If Joey is the #1 ‘what might’ve been’ for us in having a career that could have gone further, Brooks is second to him but for altogether different reasons.

Why were Oxford playing in an all yellow strip for that monumental home match with Leyton Orient in 2006 ?

The article is a good read though.

It’s a familiar story but good to hear it again from Jamie in his own words.

When we talk of ‘most talented’ home grown players we tend to overlook Brooks. He only had one full season with us which was pretty miserable overall but good for him to when the Arsenal call came in. What happened to him was cruel and touch and go for a worryingly long time.

It was remarkable to see him back on the pitch but he never looked the same. The pace he had was extinguished and he never looked sharp, always looking like a rusty player returning to fitness.

Regardless of that, his health should always come first and it’s great to know he’s doing well now and has his mental health in check too. Having that opportunity taken away would challenge anyone. If Joey is the #1 ‘what might’ve been’ for us in having a career that could have gone further, Brooks is second to him but for altogether different reasons.
Fantastic article. You'll always be loved at Oxford Jamie.

When working at the club in the youth and community/ed department i visited Jamie in hospital with Les just a day or two after he was admitted. It was heart wrenching. He could only communicate by blinking. We were close to tears. How he recovered is testimony to Jamie’s character and determination. His rehab was tough. It was so hard to believe that all that talent and potential was likely to be extinguished. To show what he was like he organised a big fundraising event in aid of Guillaume Barry syndrome. He was a top, top lad and still is. Arsene Wenger sent flowers to hospital I seem to recall. As a fan, I truly believe 3 home grown lads of that era could have starred in the Premier League. Joey, Powelly and Jamie.

How many clubs has Jefferson Louis played for 'professionally'?
Without searching on Google or Wikipedia>

I won't give the answer away (having looked it up!) but apart from Wealdstone, we were the ones who employed him the longest!

I counted 45, including as a loanee. But with all that scrolling, I could be wrong.
Didn't realise that he was with us that long & is still playing.
Atkins wanted to convert him into a defender and I think he played that role in the friendly against Chelsea.

I counted 45, including as a loanee. But with all that scrolling, I could be wrong.
Didn't realise that he was with us that long & is still playing.
Atkins wanted to convert him into a defender and I think he played that role in the friendly against Chelsea.
Atkins used to play young forwards in defence at times when the opposition had an experienced forward in the side, so that the youngster could see up close how the other guy moved and positioned himself in different situations.
He explained this thinking when I asked him about it when he did the same with Dexter blackstock in a game, possibly against iwan Roberts. No

Back
Top Bottom