Ex Player Ex-Player Thread

as long as contract was terminated before 5pm yesterday then he can sign elsewhere as a free agent i believe

I fully expect that to have happened as it was in the interest of each party. And the way the club operates they would have done their best for the player considering the situation.

I would understand if this had happened yesterday, but if he’s released today he can’t sign for another team until January. Anyone know if this is accurate?

Free agent ... which, I believe , means he can sign for anyone?

Which is exactly what I said would happen in an earlier post for which I was virtually ridiculed.

Yes westyorkshire. This is a completely unfair scenario as the clubs who have already played Bolton have had big wins rattling in goals against a team of youngsters. Within the next few weeks they (Bolton) could have assembled a pretty useful team of "journeymen" making them a totally different proposition for us & all the others. If the relegation or promotion places come down to goal difference I can see there being a major row!

Yes westyorkshire. This is a completely unfair scenario as the clubs who have already played Bolton have had big wins rattling in goals against a team of youngsters. Within the next few weeks they (Bolton) could have assembled a pretty useful team of "journeymen" making them a totally different proposition for us & all the others. If the relegation or promotion places come down to goal difference I can see there being a major row!
Not just goal difference. Points as well. The fairest thing to do would be to replay the games. We all know that won't happen. Once again the EFL have made a right Dogs breakfast of something.

Just watched the Class of 92- full time. Glad to see Matty Greens knees are better at last! ?

as long as contract was terminated before 5pm yesterday then he can sign elsewhere as a free agent i believe
Correct - the paperwork would need to have been signed off before the deadline yesterday so that McMahon was a free agent before the window closed. Otherwise any player unwanted by a club could just be 'released' at any point during a season - be it October, December, March etc - and picked up the same day. Given how many clubs in the lower leagues still rely heavily on free transfers, this would mean the window effectively never closed all season, and players could just move around willy nilly in spite of the transfer window. So while it's been announced publicly today, it must have been processed by 5pm yesterday.

Otherwise any player unwanted by a club could just be 'released' at any point during a season - be it October, December, March etc - and picked up the same day. Given how many clubs in the lower leagues still rely heavily on free transfers, this would mean the window effectively never closed all season, and players could just move around willy nilly in spite of the transfer window.

And I imagine that would also be susceptible to corruption where "releases" could be agreed between clubs through agents etc.

And I imagine that would also be susceptible to corruption where "releases" could be agreed between clubs through agents etc.
As the EFL are responsible for preventing flaunting of the rules, they would have governance in place to stop this happening.

Back
Top Bottom