Ex Player Ex-Player Thread

Lundstram has now scored in each of England's top four divisions.
Can't think of many of our players or ex-players who hold that record (apart from John Aldridge obviously).

Although only a loanee, Flabbier Donkey did.

I should be writing reports, but instead I'm going to make it the sole intention of my evening to find at least three more.

EDIT I'm claiming Jeremy Charles, but this is harder than I thought. b****r!

Last edited:

I should be writing reports, but instead I'm going to make it the sole intention of my evening to find at least three more.

I'm thinking of making my evenings start at 11:15.*

*yes, I know

How about worst goalkeeping error by an Oxford goalie. My vote goes to Mick Kearns 1969-1972.
The first year that goalies were limited to 3 consecutive steps holding the ball in the penalty area, they overcame this by taking the 3 steps then rolling the ball a few yards and picking it up again.
Kearns did this, totally forgetting that an opposition forward had run past him and was now behind him as he rolled the ball. The player promptly ran back past him and collected the rolling ball and side-footed it into an empty net.
Kearns was rightly distraught as the rest of the team looked on in disbelief.
The Clarke own goal in the playoff final v York comes instantly to mind...

Opposition goalkeeper, Pat Jennings letting in Langan's speculative shot in the Milk Cup win in '84 is my first thought. Feeble one-handed attempt.

You'd think Paul Kee would have a few contenders but I can only think of run of the mill clangers like dropping the ball.

Matt Elliott surely scored in all 4 divisions, Prem for Leicester, div 1 and 2 with us and div 4 for Torquay.

Did he score for Scotland too?

What a player!!!

Matt Elliott surely scored in all 4 divisions, Prem for Leicester, div 1 and 2 with us and div 4 for Torquay.

Did he score for Scotland too?

What a player!!!
Ashley Barnes has appeared in all five top divisions and has scored in four of them (exception is L2)....

Gavin Whyte has started for Cardiff this evening. Nelson on the bench. Their fans have been complaining about lack of pace so I'm sure that will change this evening!

EDIT I'm claiming Jeremy Charles, but this is harder than I thought. b****r!

It is tough - I could've sworn that Dean Whitehead was going to be one.
But despite playing for us 20 times in the third tier, he didn't score his first goal until the following season in the 4th (a 3-2 win against Rushden that I remember well, because I went straight to the pub afterwards and watched England win 5-1 in Germany. A great double header of a day!)

Surprising as it sounds, I think Manny Onoyinmi is actually one.
He scored a whole two goals for West Ham in the Premiership (both in the same game) when he was a youngster
He scored three goals for Gillingham in the second tier when he was on loan there (including an absolute blinder against us at the Manor)
He scored a solitary goal for Orient while on loan to them in the third tier
And then he scored a few for us in the fourth tier (as well as several for a number of clubs in the Conference)

Bringing back more terrible memories, but Phil Gray is another - scored for Luton when they were in the top tier pre-Premier League; scored a bunch for Sunderland in the second tier; then scored for us in both the third and fourth tiers.

Finally, I think Sam Ricketts did it too.
He scored one goal for us in the 4th tier; one goal for Swansea in 05/06 in the 3rd tier; one goal for Hull in 06/07 in the Championship, and a single solitary goal in the Premiership for Bolton in December 2011.
Rather brilliantly, at that point in his career, he had scored exactly one goal (and no more) in each of the top four divisions; although he later blew that statistic by scoring a couple of League One goals for Wolves and unforgivably scoring for the Scum in the League One playoffs.

Right, that's three. I can go do some work now.

You'd think Paul Kee would have a few contenders but I can only think of run of the mill clangers like dropping the ball.

Not forgetting this fine performance! Listen to the Villa fans before the second goal! So many memories in that video. Some great Ox players on both sides !

Not forgetting this fine performance! Listen to the Villa fans before the second goal! So many memories in that video. Some great Ox players on both sides !

The looks the defenders gave him when that 1st goal went in amply demonstrates their thoughts.

John Fahy goal at Tranmere April 17th 1965, hit from virtually where the touchline was bisected by the centre line. Must have been 40-50yds. Tranmere had won every single home match in the 1964/5 season going into their penultimate match against Bradford which they drew so needed to avoid defeat against Oxford to maintain an unbeaten home record. We were hanging on to a 3-2 lead nearing the end of the game when Fahy scored his wonder goal to seal a 4-2 win and confirm our first promotion in the football league. I was stood directly behind him when he scored, unbelievable. The Tranmere fans were absolutely livid that their record was ruined by such a goal.
My memory may have been coloured by the 54yr gap but that goal will always stay there.
I remember as a young lad on the Osler road terrace with my Dad watching John Fahy score a hat-trick against Bradford PA . What a player we thought. He scored 10 goals in 11 games and helped us win promotion.
It was Grand National day as well. Jay Trump was the winner, announced over the tannoy. Happy days!!

Back
Top Bottom