Ex Player Ex-Player Thread

Rothwell joins Blackburn. We get a fee though because he's under 24.Shouldn't think it's anymore then 100k. Hopefully we have a few lined up for next week as the squad going to ireland looks very slim at the moment.

Sad but we never got him playing at his full potential - which is why we managed to get him from Man U in the first place, he might even struggle to make an impact at Blackburn too but we'll see. Good luck to him...now no more outgoings and let's get some more new faces IN please!!!!!

Can't imagine him breaking into Blackburn's first team with the squad they have, including Jack Payne there. Sat just behind the striker(s) is definitely his best role but with his injuries and hit and miss performances, I just don't think he'll cut it. Another season here to get back to full fitness and prove himself championship pedigree may have been more savvy.

Nevertheless, I enjoyed his mazy runs at defences and the way that ball sticks to his feet like glue, I hope he does well and he can fend off the recurring injuries.

Chris Maguire 'heavily linked' with a move to Sunderland, according to Bury forum. Described as ex Oxford cult-hero centre forward. Bit of a surprise to me if he went there even with the history with SD

Chris Maguire 'heavily linked' with a move to Sunderland, according to Bury forum. Described as ex Oxford cult-hero centre forward. Bit of a surprise to me if he went there even with the history with SD
Why a surprise? He's got no future at Bury, Sunderland would mean he didn't have to take a wage drop while getting to play football again, it's right up towards Scotland, AND certain people would feel they've got one over on Oxford United. Frankly I'm amazed it's taken this long to come up!

Why a surprise? He's got no future at Bury, Sunderland would mean he didn't have to take a wage drop while getting to play football again, it's right up towards Scotland, AND certain people would feel they've got one over on Oxford United. Frankly I'm amazed it's taken this long to come up!
....and he'd be working with a Scottish manager too....if he goes to the Mackams

God the days of Maguire when it was actually enjoyable going to the football.

He will thrive up there.

God the days of Maguire when it was actually enjoyable going to the football.

He will thrive up there.

Maguire always wanted to be the star player in the team and be given a free role. I can't imagine he will be anything other than a squad player at Sunderland if they spend the money being alledged. Far from thriving, I can see Maguire becoming another dressing room problem that Sunderland are so desperate to avoid.

If Maguire did go to the Mackams he probably would thrive there tbh a bigger team more freedom for him, but depending on who else they have he may well bench warm

He's got talent, and was a good cult hero for us. But I'd be annoyed as a Sunderland fan if you're getting millions in transfer fees, and spending them on a relegated L1 player who only scored 2 goals last season.

Without the SD connection, they're surely better off going for someone like Marcus Maddison

SAFC are only prepared to pay upper L1 wages for incoming players. They have a massive wage bill - but that's paying premier league contracts to players who don't want to be there. If they can be shipped out, there will be massive cutting of their cloth to size. SD's view is that a squad of players on £3-5k per week will be enough for promotion if managed properly. If they get Mags, I would expect him to have an important role there. Would have him back at OUFC in a heartbeat mind.

SAFC are only prepared to pay upper L1 wages for incoming players. They have a massive wage bill - but that's paying premier league contracts to players who don't want to be there. If they can be shipped out, there will be massive cutting of their cloth to size. SD's view is that a squad of players on £3-5k per week will be enough for promotion if managed properly. If they get Mags, I would expect him to have an important role there. Would have him back at OUFC in a heartbeat mind.

If Mags is the highest quality player they are looking at, I'd be worried for them.

Sunderland are a Premier League club, upper Championship at the very least. They can't be looking to do the bare minimum and scrape out of the division. They need to have a squad that lasts beyond this year, and that can be developed to push on afterwards.

If Mags is the highest quality player they are looking at, I'd be worried for them.

Sunderland are a Premier League club, upper Championship at the very least. They can't be looking to do the bare minimum and scrape out of the division. They need to have a squad that lasts beyond this year, and that can be developed to push on afterwards.

Just going on snippets of an interview given by SD. Shipping out the big-time Charlie's (pun intended) will take time as fair transfer fees will be demanded. Lot of financial & operational issues need straightening off the field. Promotion with upper L1 players the aim for this season and then starting to invest more heavily once the decks have been cleared next season onwards - potentially with Signor Satori's cheque book.

Not t the moment they’re not, they’re a L1 side

Not t the moment they’re not, they’re a L1 side
Next year, barring complete failure, they'll be a championship side. And will have to offload an entire squad that's not up to standard, if all they're looking at are decent L1 players.

Next year, barring complete failure, they'll be a championship side. And will have to offload an entire squad that's not up to standard, if all they're looking at are decent L1 players.
But who’s to say they could be back in the championship next season. This last season was pretty decent for a straight return for Wigan, Blackburn and Rotherham but it doesn’t mean that Sunderland can achieve it having just suffered their 2nd consecutive relegation and that being with players who arenof championship standard

Please support Jamie Brooks and raise awareness and funds for the charity GAIN Guillain Barre syndrome (a rare neurological disorder) ❤️

But who’s to say they could be back in the championship next season. This last season was pretty decent for a straight return for Wigan, Blackburn and Rotherham but it doesn’t mean that Sunderland can achieve it having just suffered their 2nd consecutive relegation and that being with players who arenof championship standard

But that's what they need to be aiming for. It's not like us, where we can choose to make a big financial push for the championship or consolidate for another year. They're in huge financial trouble if they don't bounce back. And to definitely bounce back, they need to spend big on championship level players.

Back
Top Bottom