Ex Player Ex-Player Thread

So James Clarke was playing for Walsall and is only 30.

Who is our oldest ex-player still playing league football?

What is the longest gap between an ex player playing for us and still playing league football ?

Just wondering as Mattie Taylor and James Clarke are really rolling back the years to our conference days.
Matt Green is still going, at Grimsby

It is, and always will be, Dannie Bulman - especially given he’s just signed a new twelve-year deal at Crawley...

I wasn't replying to the question about who the oldest player was. The question was what is the longest gap between a player playing for Oxford and still playing in the football league!

I wasn't replying to the question about who the oldest player was. The question was what is the longest gap between a player playing for Oxford and still playing in the football league!

Yes indeed you were - but what calibre of a man would I be if I let a chance for a Dannie Bulman jibe slide...?

I hope we re-sign him in January - just what our midfield needs at the moment.

Yes indeed you were - but what calibre of a man would I be if I let a chance for a Dannie Bulman jibe slide...?

I hope we re-sign him in January - just what our midfield needs at the moment.

He (presumably) has functioning legs and rubs, so I’d be happy with him.

Plus, that free bus of his will mean one less car in the car park on match days.

He (presumably) has functioning legs and rubs, so I’d be happy with him.

Plus, that free bus of his will mean one less car in the car park on match days.

Those rumours about Dannie Bulman giving out rubs were just that; rumours, never proven.

In fact I’m not sure in seventeen years of watching him at Wootten’s Field and latterly The Manor, that I ever saw a happy ending.

Last edited:
Seeing as we're halfway through the season, I thought I'd give an update on some of the Class of 18/19:

Curtis Nelson (Cardiff) - Starting to establish himself in the first team (12 apps/1 goal)

Gavin Whyte (Cardiff) - In and out of the matchday squad (17 apps/no goals)

Luke Garbutt (Ipswich) - Couple of injuries, but playing in the LW role we taught him last year (17 apps/5 goals)

Marcus Browne (Middlesbrough) - Currently in Woodgate's bad books (14 apps/no goals)

Ricky Holmes (Sheffield United) - No idea. The occasional reserve game? (no apps)

Ahmed Kashi (Troyes) - Listed as a member of their 'B' side (no apps)

Jordan Graham (Wolves) - 3 games in the PL reserve league. Surely has to move on in January (no apps)

Jerome Sinclair (VVV Venlo) - Struggling in the Eredivisie (17 apps/0 goals)

Jon Obika (St Mirren) - Bottom of the SPL, but glad to see he can score somewhere (20 apps/5 goals)

Samir Carruthers (Cambridge) - Not sure what's going on here. More injuries? (6 apps/no goals)

Sam Smith (Cambridge) - League Two seems to be his level (28 apps/8 goals)

Jonte Smith (Cheltenham) - Hat-trick in the cup, otherwise a squad player (14 apps/4 goals)

Charlie Raglan (Cheltenham) - Pushing for promotion in League Two (25 apps/1 goal)

Fiacre Kelleher (Macclesfield) - Club captain of the cash-strapped Silkmen (23 apps/no goals)

Cameron Norman (Walsall) - League Two squad player (12 apps/no goals)

Ivo Pekalski (Norrby) - In the Swedish second tier (13 apps/no goals)

Wai-Tsun Dai (Wolves) - Substitute in the PL reserve league. Still can't believe the money we got for this guy (no apps)

Armani Little (Torquay) - Newly promoted to National League, currently mid-table (13 apps/3 goals)

Tony McMahon (Unattached)

Last edited:
Interesting beyondthefourth.
Kashi and Sinclair from a football perspective may wish they has stayed at Oxford (who in turn may be pleased that they didnt).
Jordan Graham could be one of those players who really wasted their talent (I appreciate that he had a bad injury but the rumours re his attitude).
Really good to see Curtis Nelson winning his place in the Cardiff side.

Interesting beyondthefourth.
Kashi and Sinclair from a football perspective may wish they has stayed at Oxford (who in turn may be pleased that they didnt).
Jordan Graham could be one of those players who really wasted their talent (I appreciate that he had a bad injury but the rumours re his attitude).
Really good to see Curtis Nelson winning his place in the Cardiff side.

It mostly started out of curiosity about some of the youth members, which I didn't include here. I can't find any new clubs for Albie Hopkins, Brandon Taverner, etc. Though Dejon Noel Williams has scored a few goals for Wealdstone, who are top of National League South.

Most of what I got from compiling that list was how much we had actually been able to trim from what was a bloated squad (still with large numbers of injuries), and how much more competitive our squad is on a like-for-like replacement basis. Of the players on that list, we're only really missing Whyte.

It mostly started out of curiosity about some of the youth members, which I didn't include here. I can't find any new clubs for Albie Hopkins, Brandon Taverner, etc. Though Dejon Noel Williams has scored a few goals for Wealdstone, who are top of National League South.

Most of what I got from compiling that list was how much we had actually been able to trim from what was a bloated squad (still with large numbers of injuries), and how much more competitive our squad is on a like-for-like replacement basis. Of the players on that list, we're only really missing Whyte.

Yes, although Garbutt and Browne would be useful if they were still here.

Jonte Smith linked with moves away from Cheltenham, strangely

Good luck to him. Based on what happened to other English strikers in the past, if the financial benefits were similar and it is down to him he should pick the Scottish option for a chance to kickstart his career.

Jonte Smith linked with moves away from Cheltenham, strangely

If he's out of contract, he's a fairly cheap extra striker, presumably okay with a lack of game time.

For the clubs, I wonder if the fact he is an international in the Bermuda squad helps? If you have two others on your books, it means you have a good option to move difficult fixtures.

Back
Top Bottom