Ex Player Ex-Player Thread

more than few contenders for that accolade IMO ... among my personal favourite goals at the manor are a rare Gary Briggs goal, diving header from outside the penalty area ( cant remember who it was against) , Joey B's goal against Sw*nd*n after returning home , the celebration in front of the Cuckoo lane packed with inbreds , kissing the badge and taunting them was superb, A Ken Skeen thunderbolt winner during the 60s, late on in a game ( again cant rememberagainst who) are three that come to mind

I'd add Rosie's volley vs Chelsea which was simply stunning. Also, one of the small number of goals scored by Trevor Aylott but can't find it on Youtube.

David Penney 35 yard screamer at the Manor, London Rd end. Cannot remember opposition but believe it was the winner.

David Penney 35 yard screamer at the Manor, London Rd end. Cannot remember opposition but believe it was the winner.

Mark Stein scored some absolute belters for us but couldn't hit the target from a few yards. He was fantastic for Stoke in both regards iirc.

The goal I remember the most was a 40 yard screamer by Colin Clarke against Sunderland back in the early 70's which gave us a 1-0 win. Bearing in mind he was a centre half made it even more memorable.

It wasn't just how good a goal it was - although it was an insanely accurate strike from a ludicrous distance.

It was also how crucially important it was - the only goal of the game, in April, against our chief promotion rival who we ended up beating to second place by a single point!

If Joey hadn't scored that goal, then we'd have ended up in the playoffs that season
(although the way we were playing towards the end of 95/96, it was hard to imagine anyone beating us - but you never know!)

Steve McMahon's goal in 1987 is right up there. Not sure if I was at that one, think I went to the previous one which we lost 3-1.
Steve Basham has a top flight goal for Southampton, goals in the second and third tiers for Preston and then goals at the fourth (and fifth) tier for us.

Difficult to think of too many more.
Mackie comes close. He's scored at every level from Conference South to Premier League except League Two, which he's never played in. Maybe he will drop down to there in a year or two, not with us obviously.

John Fahy goal at Tranmere April 17th 1965, hit from virtually where the touchline was bisected by the centre line. Must have been 40-50yds. Tranmere had won every single home match in the 1964/5 season going into their penultimate match against Bradford which they drew so needed to avoid defeat against Oxford to maintain an unbeaten home record. We were hanging on to a 3-2 lead nearing the end of the game when Fahy scored his wonder goal to seal a 4-2 win and confirm our first promotion in the football league. I was stood directly behind him when he scored, unbelievable. The Tranmere fans were absolutely livid that their record was ruined by such a goal.
My memory may have been coloured by the 54yr gap but that goal will always stay there.

Langan scored a screamer at the away end at the Manor first game of the season in a 4-2 win, a pompey defender did a headed clearance from a cross high out to the edge (actually it was a couple of yards outside the edge) of the box - it took an age to drop - and Langan belted it on the volley without breaking stride into the far top corner, absolute thunderbolt!, I wasn't there for Joey's goal v Blackpool so Langy gets my vote. Billy Whitehurst scored a couple that day too including a beauty curled in with his left. The sun was shining, the grass across the slope was immaculate, the London Road in full voice - cherished memories for a young me were made that day :)

Mark Stein scored some absolute belters for us but couldn't hit the target from a few yards. He was fantastic for Stoke in both regards iirc.
I remember Stein missing from about 2 yards against Swindon, right in front of the LRT, which would have put us 3-0 up. It stayed 2-0, they made it 2-2 at half time, then scored a couple more in the second half to beat us. Oh what could have been if he'd hit the target...

How about worst goalkeeping error by an Oxford goalie. My vote goes to Mick Kearns 1969-1972.
The first year that goalies were limited to 3 consecutive steps holding the ball in the penalty area, they overcame this by taking the 3 steps then rolling the ball a few yards and picking it up again.
Kearns did this, totally forgetting that an opposition forward had run past him and was now behind him as he rolled the ball. The player promptly ran back past him and collected the rolling ball and side-footed it into an empty net.
Kearns was rightly distraught as the rest of the team looked on in disbelief.

I remember Stein missing from about 2 yards against Swindon, right in front of the LRT, which would have put us 3-0 up. It stayed 2-0, they made it 2-2 at half time, then scored a couple more in the second half to beat us. Oh what could have been if he'd hit the target...

Yes I have a vague memory of that.

How about worst goalkeeping error by an Oxford goalie. My vote goes to Mick Kearns 1969-1972.
The first year that goalies were limited to 3 consecutive steps holding the ball in the penalty area, they overcame this by taking the 3 steps then rolling the ball a few yards and picking it up again.
Kearns did this, totally forgetting that an opposition forward had run past him and was now behind him as he rolled the ball. The player promptly ran back past him and collected the rolling ball and side-footed it into an empty net.
Kearns was rightly distraught as the rest of the team looked on in disbelief.

Peter Hucker scoring an OG by falling into his own goal, after slipping, whilst clutching the ball at the time in our 2-1defeat at Bournemouth.

Opposition keeper in our favour is tricky as Vigoroux's propensity for getting sent off against us is fantastic. But for me it has to Gordon Marshall who was on loan at Stoke in the 93-94 season and he quite brilliantly threw a Joey shot into his own net when the original shot was going wide. We ended up drawing 1-1 at Stoke midweek and it was amusing discussing the goal with some of home supporters as we walked out.

Back
Top Bottom