Eurovision song contest

Sorry, I just love it - compulsory viewing every year

I thought it was quite reflective of the season. Song 1 started things off punchy and high energy. Expectation was high. Then the Spanish appeared with a love ballad (about old friends winning together) and then it declined into a farce. A bizarre woman clucking wins it but the highlight for me was watching the very last deciding vote and the Cyprus wannabe Shakira thinking she had won, and then realising she hadnt, Cut camera.

Great how Russia were booed even when voting and how backward thinking the Chinese were not to air it because of rainbow flags and tatooes. Crazy world.

Next year Bethlehem. Hopefully an English 3 piece who perform dressed as 3 kings riding camels. Honestly the song doesnt matter...

I thought it was quite reflective of the season. Song 1 started things off punchy and high energy. Expectation was high. Then the Spanish appeared with a love ballad (about old friends winning together) and then it declined into a farce. A bizarre woman clucking wins it but the highlight for me was watching the very last deciding vote and the Cyprus wannabe Shakira thinking she had won, and then realising she hadnt, Cut camera.

Great how Russia were booed even when voting and how backward thinking the Chinese were not to air it because of rainbow flags and tatooes. Crazy world.

Next year Bethlehem. Hopefully an English 3 piece who perform dressed as 3 kings riding camels. Honestly the song doesnt matter...
isn't it Jerusalem 2019....that EUROPEAN city of culture:unsure::unsure::unsure:

"Bethlehem to Jerusalem" - sounds like a winning name for the band. Just make sure the camels dont spit - rapping kings?

I have to confess that I enjoy Eurovision as any multi-national event normally has my attention (unless it involves rugby or motorsport).

However, I was disappointed the UK did as badly as it did. I never expected it to win or even trouble the top of the leader board but our song was deserving of so much better than 24th out of 26th. Even with the stage invader (SuRie did brilliantly to continue) and a bit of a sympathy vote, we struggled. Are we really that disliked in mainland Europe nowadays? Last year, you could blame the public as the juries actually gave the UK over 100 points. This year without much in the way of jury support we did a lot worse. Then again, Australia are starting to know what it’s like to receive ‘nul points’ from the public too. The last two years have seen them get very few points from the public vote. Their entry should have taken some sandpaper out on stage with her …

As for the winner – well, that just about sums up Eurovision!

I have to confess that I enjoy Eurovision as any multi-national event normally has my attention (unless it involves rugby or motorsport).

However, I was disappointed the UK did as badly as it did. I never expected it to win or even trouble the top of the leader board but our song was deserving of so much better than 24th out of 26th. Even with the stage invader (SuRie did brilliantly to continue) and a bit of a sympathy vote, we struggled. Are we really that disliked in mainland Europe nowadays? Last year, you could blame the public as the juries actually gave the UK over 100 points. This year without much in the way of jury support we did a lot worse. Then again, Australia are starting to know what it’s like to receive ‘nul points’ from the public too. The last two years have seen them get very few points from the public vote. Their entry should have taken some sandpaper out on stage with her …

As for the winner – well, that just about sums up Eurovision!
The thing is if Israel's entry represented the UK it would not have won...

As light entertainment, it's moderately amusing and makes a change from Casualty and all that talent competition rubbish. This year (as always) I got bored about halfway through.

As an evening of the best music in Europe, it is an absolute and total failure of course.

What a waste of license fee money! It fits in perfectly with the BBCs dumbed down entertainment schedule.

If we are to keep it, put a band like Napalm Death on it as the UKs entry next year. We'll never win it, so let's do something that isn't painfully MOR and make it fun.

Ok I’ll fall for it...whoosh!
Sorry, no whoosh here - I genuinely love watching it, despite (or maybe because) of the politics, the chicken songs outscoring beautiful ballads tenfold or more, different countries styles and likes/dislikes, Graham Norton, the utter joy when someone actually DOES give us some points, just the whole madness of it, and just occasionally a decent song (in fact of the 26 each year, I probably like more than the top 26 in any given week in the UK charts or that I would hear on Radio1 or whatever other mainstream stations exist nowadays).
We will probably never win again (unless we join a European invasion of the US) but once you accept that the whole thing is a fantastic diversion from real life for an evening.....

I watched a bit of it, on and off, thought the UK song was pretty good, she remained professional even when some w****r ran on stage and stole her mic.
The idiot who took the mic had previous for it as well.

There is no way we should have ended 3rd from bottom, makes it a farce really.

I last watched it the night my son was born 23 years ago. And I couldn't say who won then?

Always reminds me of when I worked in Norway. It was the year that Jahn Teigen got the infamous "Null points". He became a hero in Norway overnight. I was working in his home town (Tønsberg) and got to know him quite well, the night he got back we met up with a few others and got hammered while laughing our heads off at the result and ensuing popularity of his music. His girlfriend, at the time, one Anita Skørgen was a stunner and joined us for a while. Also a fine singer and musician she went on to have quite a career even appearing over here on Radio 2.
Great character was Jahn and, to my knowledge, never once regretted taking part. His flat was directly above the local record shop so he often popped down to sign a few covers.

I actually decided to watch the end bit this year, when the votes are presented. Didn't hear any songs but was a little amused to see UK finishing last. Assume it was all still farcical, like every year.

I actually decided to watch the end bit this year, when the votes are presented. Didn't hear any songs but was a little amused to see UK finishing last. Assume it was all still farcical, like every year.

Again, the UK's entry was far from the worst there (check out San Marino's entry - a bald dentist saying 'na na na na' over and over again and sounding like Leonard Cohen going through an ill-fated disco phase. It was so woeful I had to vote for it), but it still finished last and by some distance. The juries threw it a handful of points but with the public only Germany received fewer. Maybe we're just disliked in Europe nowadays? Maybe we are up against too many nations who just aren't going to be voting for us - Azerbaijan aren't likely to throw points our way but will send them towards the culturally similar Russia? Who knows? It's a bit dispiriting seeing us barely even trouble the left hand side of the scoring board let alone get anywhere near winning it!

One aspect about the winner, and Italy who also performed well, is that they tend to choose songs that have already received a lot of airplay on the continent. The UK tends to choose a talent show reject. They've tried bringing back well known names, but they've tended to be those in the twilight of their career like Bonnie Tyler and Blue (too old to be a 'boy band' anymore!) who have also struggled. Perhaps an overhaul of the system is needed and aim for a current name and well played song as our entry for next year.

Back
Top Bottom