Eurovision song contest

I watched it, but can't say it has much, if anything, to do with modern music. Quite a lot of the entries sounded like bad Wham B-sides from the 80's. The voting was (as ever) ludicrous, Madonna (doing a 'Queenie' impression from the pirates episode of Blackadder :) ) was out of tune and the 'humour' of the presenters excruciating. I quite like the fact that the whole thing is inclusive, but it's so camp and tacky that it's almost self defeating.
We won't get a currently popular artist to perform - imagine if Sam Smith came last, defeated by a non-singing dentist from San Marino! But getting the song released and hyped all over Europe well before the show seems to be the way to win it.

I watched the results, laughed heartily at the UKs lack of success and went to bed in a great mood.

We will probably never win again (unless we join a European invasion of the US) but once you accept that the whole thing is a fantastic diversion from real life for an evening.....
....another interesting contest, if only, as always, for a vareity of wrong reasons.... not least taking joy in Madonna embarrassing herself in oh so many ways...like watching your granny on Stars in Their Eyes!!!

One thing worth noting is that it is not just the UK that struggle every year, but all four of the Big Four who are exempt from having to appear in the semi-finals (Italy are now also exempt but seem to do OK since dropping out for 10 years or so). Over the last fifteen contests, the UK have averaged 20th place (out of 26), but so have Spain, while Germany and France do little better, both averaging 18th.
Suggests that rather than just being an anti-UK thing, it as an-anti Big Four thing. Most years, one of the four break the stranglehold and make the top half, but the four together have only managed 6 top 8 finishes between them over those 15 years.

All good fun - and roll on next year

As a supporter of NL as well as GB I was very surprised when Duncan won. He has a good voice with a large range and kept the presentation nice and simple. But the song itself was not a show-stopper. But NL slipped Belgium 10 euros to vote for NL instead of their own entry. :oops:

The fact it was in Israel, a terrorist state, is one of the biggest jokes of all! Eurovision is about "peace, love and unity" - try telling that to the children in Gaza while they're being bombed. We should boycott the whole thing. Waste of time and money.

Last edited:
Complete and utter waste of time entering it.

We never do any good, and haven’t since going to War in Iraq. Not sure if that’s a coincidence or not.

I used to like Wogan doing it god rest his soul.

The fact it was in Israel, a terrorist state, is one of the biggest jokes of all! Eurovision is about "peace, love and unity" - try telling that to the children in Gaza while they're being bombed. We should boycott the whole thing. Waste of time and money.

I'll have a nibble at this.

Israel won it last year and were therefore obliged to host it. Pretty dim to call for a boycott now considering it took place on Saturday! The boycotters actually missed a few brace people in the show, including the woeful but high profile Madonna, make a few references to the Palestinian cause. The show was never going to be free from politics and we all knew a reference was going to pop up somewhere and good on them for trying it on.

Also, Eurovision really is just a camp show with silly songs and dance routines and forced humour designed for a mass audience. For anyone watching, it could more or less be filmed anywhere. People didn't tune in because its Israel, they tuned it because it was Eurovision.

Finally, it's easy to spin the Israel-Palestine conflict into goodies v baddies and oppressors v the oppressed. The Israeli government should really be held to account a lot more by all concerned but this event was not a government-sponsored event. The organisers, who probably have little to nothing to do with Netanahyu's policies, held a safe and vibrant event that's probably the most LGBT friendly event going in the calendar. Would such an event in a less secular, more religiously conservative part of the world such as as Gaza have been so tolerated?

Won’t ever happen, but I would like to see a genuine big British star give it a go, as an experiment if you like. Someone like Ed Sheehan or Adele, who is current and massive all other the world. Surely they would do well?!

Won’t ever happen, but I would like to see a genuine big British star give it a go, as an experiment if you like. Someone like Ed Sheehan or Adele, who is current and massive all other the world. Surely they would do well?!

Completely agree with those two stars. Then if we still finish last, then we can pack it in and let to others get on with it. Eurovision and includes Australia total joke of a show now.

Morrissey? Marr was always the talent in The Smiths. If you are going to do it, do it properly...

Morrissey? Marr was always the talent in The Smiths. If you are going to do it, do it properly...
Personally, I think it was the combination of the two of them that made that band special. The combination was much more than the sum of the parts...

I'm not, and that is the whole point. He'd be awful to watch, but be brilliant to watch at the same time. If you're going to be persistently in the relegation zone, have some fun doing it!

Popbitch should be in charge of the UK's selection process.

It's not that the UK entry is the worst and that's why it came last it's more to do with us being inherently disliked by everyone else!

It's not that the UK entry is the worst and that's why it came last it's more to do with us being inherently disliked by everyone else!

Also that we have a thriving music industry that already has a worldwide appeal so only the nonentities/past it acts take part for us. Whereas for many of the other countries' acts, it is their main chance to get continental/world exposure so take it far more seriously.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom