World Cup European World Cup Play-Offs

captainox

Single legged semi-finals, first team drawn at home. The hosts of the final also drawn today.

PATH A
Scotland v Ukraine
Wales v Austria (winner hosts the Path A Final)

PATH B
Russia v Poland (winner hosts the Path B Final)
Sweden v Czech Republic

PATH C
Italy v North Macedonia
Portugal v Turkey (winner hosts the Path C Final)

So either Italy or Portugal won't be at the finals. Italy didn't qualify for the last one if I'm remembering correctly. Possibility of Wales v Scotland for a place at the finals, which will no doubt bring back a few memories of the passing of Jock Stein in the game between them for qualification to Mexico '86

Single legged semi-finals, first team drawn at home. The hosts of the final also drawn today.

PATH A
Scotland v Ukraine
Wales v Austria (winner hosts the Path A Final)

PATH B
Russia v Poland (winner hosts the Path B Final)
Sweden v Czech Republic

PATH C
Italy v North Macedonia
Portugal v Turkey (winner hosts the Path C Final)
Path C - ouch!

So either Italy or Portugal won't be at the finals. Italy didn't qualify for the last one if I'm remembering correctly. Possibility of Wales v Scotland for a place at the finals, which will no doubt bring back a few memories of the passing of Jock Stein in the game between them for qualification to Mexico '86
It would be good to see Italy not make it.
England have an outside chance and Italy are very capable of winning it.

Technically they both night not! Don't knock North Macedonia or Turkey!

Shows how important it is to win the group, can’t really even afford a second place

A nice little warm up tournament will it be on terrestrial tv? Hope so

Potential Wales v Scotland. I think Wales can get past Austria. Scotland v Ukraine will be harder

Ha ha ha ha - I was hoping for Italy & Portugal to end up in the same Path. Delighted it's happened.
From a competitive standpoint, would be great for England if Italy, who would be one of the favorites next year, don't even qualify.
But from a schadenfreude perspective, nothing would beat Ronaldo watching his last World Cup on the telly!

Scotland & Wales got super-lucky for once.
Not just for avoiding the two big guns, but because in my mind, the next four best teams all ended up in Path B.

Back
Top Bottom