European Super League

Foley

Well it's been coming and of course these owners couldn't give a shi* about the supporters- there would be more TV revenue if there were a European League. So

Tottenham not invited
The 'founders' wouldn't get relegated
The club's would totally withdraw from the English League/ Cups etc.

So Arsenal would potentially never play Spurs/ West Ham
Liverpool could never play Everton

I am sure that the supporters will love it (not)

I wonder how much some of these fans of the European big clubs will enjoy years of being mid table/bottom half of a league? They can’t all be at the top of the league, I doubt it would be much fun being an Arsenal fan knowing you can’t be relegated but you are unlikely to ever challenge, lose the cup competitions and Derby’s to play meaningless games against Roma, Dortmund etc from Xmas onwards.

Makes you wonder how many fans will stick around to watch the less successful teams who have gone from big fish in small ponds to small fish in an ocean. They can’t all be part of a big 4/5/6 etc.

On the one hand it'd, if/ when the Euro Super League happens,teach the greedy founder clubs of the Premier league, especially those NOT invited, a valuable lesson, ...that in the greater scheme, to parphrase George Orwell's Animal Farm book, some Premier League clubs are more equal than others:eek:o_O:rolleyes:

Secondly , with Brexit on the horizon, won't that automatically exclude any English, Scottish ( & Welsh and NI ) football clubs by default anyway?:unsure::oops::sneaky:

Last edited:
I wonder how much some of these fans of the European big clubs will enjoy years of being mid table/bottom half of a league? They can’t all be at the top of the league, I doubt it would be much fun being an Arsenal fan knowing you can’t be relegated but you are unlikely to ever challenge, lose the cup competitions and Derby’s to play meaningless games against Roma, Dortmund etc from Xmas onwards.

Makes you wonder how many fans will stick around to watch the less successful teams who have gone from big fish in small ponds to small fish in an ocean. They can’t all be part of a big 4/5/6 etc.

This isn’t about the fans who ‘stick around’ it’s about the ones that sit around(on their sofas). If it happens then good riddens to them.

How soon will the lustre of Real vs City wear off though? Too much of a good thing, and all that.

It would be fantastic for English football. Sky would run away to Europe. Armchair fans would get bored of the endless "Super Special Fantastic Euro Derby Sunday" events, people would come back to real clubs and the Indians and Africans could prop up the fantasy league.

Good riddance . Support would be at risk as supporters will require visas for each Away game and they could prove expensive.

Good riddance . Support would be at risk as supporters will require visas for each Away game and they could prove expensive.

It’s naïve to think that supporters would even be taken into consideration. They could charge £100 a ticket, and probably would, and that would be chicken feed in comparison to broadcasting rights.

I think any sort of European Super League will ultimately start selling games to whoever is willing to bid for them. Arsenal v Barcelona – not at the Emirates but at the Gillette Stadium in Massachusetts or the Bird’s Nest in Beijing would probably be a league game. It’s a money-making scheme and if seeing the teams play in stadia that isn’t their own, they will do it.

Whilst it’s easy to say ‘P**s off’ to them and want the big teams to go, all of European football would lose out. From an English perspective, gone would be the FA Cup third round pay days (would Everton be the biggest draw you could get?), gone would be cups actually meaning a way into European competition, gone would be the allure of seeing European’s elite face off on a sporadic basis as they would play each other week in, week out.

The ESL has been mooted for ages and I think it will happen in time – greed created the PL and greed will lead to the ESL – I think so much will be lost when it does occur.

I am not sure that European Football would be gone.
There could still be a Champions League with Spurs, Everton, Borrussia Mönchengladbach, Stutgart, Marseilles, Ajax, Sporting Lisbon, Valencia, and more
I agree that an awful lot will be lost not least TV money some of which does flow down to the bottom leagues.
It would be interesting to see how many supporters would have even less reason to watch these big clubs on TV, but I guess it will be aimed at the International TV market.

I am not sure that European Football would be gone.
There could still be a Champions League with Spurs, Everton, Borrussia Mönchengladbach, Stutgart, Marseilles, Ajax, Sporting Lisbon, Valencia, and more
I agree that an awful lot will be lost not least TV money some of which does flow down to the bottom leagues.
It would be interesting to see how many supporters would have even less reason to watch these big clubs on TV, but I guess it will be aimed at the International TV market.

I disagree - as much as I don't like the greed of the PL - I will watch a Man U/Man C vs Barcelona/Real Madrid - I don't watch any Europa League football where the sort of clubs you name ply their trade.

I would like to see the real fans of the potential break-away clubs taking a real stand on this. The 60,000 who turn up and pay their money at The Emirates are presumably less than content with the ESL as it removes any real chance of away-days/derbies vs Spurs etc.

I think without the support of FIFA, Uefa and national bodies I can't see it getting of the ground. I think without that support players from those teams could be excluded from National teams.

It would massively change English football, footballers below the elite and remaining big clubs would have to accept big pay cuts, without the small amount that trickles down some clubs will be going part time.

Wouldn’t bother me that much, not as if we dine at the top table, have to consider there would be a chance we would end up part time though.

Last edited:
Pep moaning about how Citeh's stadium is never full on Champions League games. Take note!

I cannot imagine football without some of the great derby games that will be lost:

Liverpool v Everton
Chelsea/Arsenal v Spurs/West Ham

AC Milan v Inter Milan

I am sure there are more great fixtures that will vanish.

It would certainly be a seismic shift and while the financial repercussions would hit clubs like ours, I suspect I'm not alone in wishing that it would happen. The clubs funded by billionaires could sod off and take Sky with them, and enjoy their relegation free little competition where they spend ever more ludicrous amounts of money on bang-average players who earn stupid money, while the rest of us might see a more even competition a little more weighted towards who plays the best football rather than who has the deepest pockets. If we could find a way to stop any young player with an ounce of talent being hoovered up indiscriminately by the big clubs only to languish in their reserve reserve reserves for years until they are discarded, that would get my vote too - especially if lower league clubs got properly rewarded for any players they brought on.

There is going to be an implosion at some point - let's hope when the whole over-blown edifice collapses that clubs like ours can find a way to not only survive but to prosper.

Those currently premiershit clubs likely to 'jump ship' to a euro super league, will probably get an invite to enter thier u16 side in Shaun Harvey's trophy contesto_O

As a number of long established efl clubs go part time or bust, due to the small trickle of tv £ all but drying up may well end up being replaced in efl by prem u23s and euro super league u21s invited to join by that idiot Shaun Harvey ....eventually EFL could well become a new version of the old football combination !:eek:

Don't know why anyone would want to watch it. Just a parade of exhibition matches between clubs with no rivalries. Quality is good but it's not everything.

I disagree - as much as I don't like the greed of the PL - I will watch a Man U/Man C vs Barcelona/Real Madrid - I don't watch any Europa League football where the sort of clubs you name ply their trade.

I would like to see the real fans of the potential break-away clubs taking a real stand on this. The 60,000 who turn up and pay their money at The Emirates are presumably less than content with the ESL as it removes any real chance of away-days/derbies vs Spurs etc.
What do you disagree with? All I said was that there would still be European Football for the club's left. I agree that the TV money would plummet.
Personally I reckon that the UK viewing figures would drop for the new 'Super' clubs, but I am sure that Internationally they could well increase.
I wouldn't pay to watch it on TV and suspect that it would turn off a lot of current fans in the UK.

Sorry but are you saying Sandy Lane isn’t in the 5 or Oxpens? Or both?
What do you disagree with? All I said was that there would still be European Football for the club's left. I agree that the TV money would plummet.
Personally I reckon that the UK viewing figures would drop for the new 'Super' clubs, but I am sure that Internationally they could well increase.
I wouldn't pay to watch it on TV and suspect that it would turn off a lot of current fans in the UK.

I’m just not convinced there would be an appetite for the lesser brand of this remaining European football albeit given the Europa League exists alongside the CL, perhaps there is some room for it......

Back
Top Bottom