Other European European Super League one step closer?

apparently after furious row about the new proposals.
Where have you got that snippet from? Do you have a link (that you can paste into the other thread)?

So in all seriousness what are the premier league actually going to do with these so called big six teams they won’t deduct points because the teams would just appeal they won’t kick them out of the league again the team would appeal so realistically they can just get away with it I would be quite happy for the premier league to go bust and disappear but again not going to happen
Dont think that they will be able to do anything for this season, but there might be a possibility that between the powers that be across football, these 12 clubs may be barred from playing the in European competitions next season...

Dont think that they will be able to do anything for this season, but there might be a possibility that between the powers that be across football, these 12 clubs may be barred from playing the in European competitions next season...
Let’s see how the commercial and corporate sponsors of the Champions League in particular react to the news that UEFA want to ban the biggest clubs in the world. It would end up devaluing the deals that the sponsors and broadcasters have already signed in that scenario. Can of worms.

We need to get on this making your own European league B*****s early as it looks to be the way it’s going, as what you have achieved doesn’t seem to matter (hello Spurs) I see no reason ourselves, Fleetwood, Burton, Stevenage, Arbroath, St Mirren, Cefyn Druids and a load of obscure lower league teams from across the continent cant form a European mediocre league, Netflix will buy any old shite so we will have a tv deal lined up in no time.

‘It’s Carlisle United vs Bala Town coming to you from Łódź, Poland - AND IT’S LIVE!’

I am inherently against this idea, but I do wonder whether for all the hand-wringing from the pundits on Sky and MOTD yesterday, this actually represents a particularly big shift in European football. It seems to me that the objections currently stem from 1) a sporting merit angle, and 2) a financial angle. But neither of those really holds up on inspection in terms of representing a vast divergence from the existing norm.

In terms of sporting merit, I notice that people object to there being this elite league which a core group of teams will be playing in every year, regardless of their performance. But that does reflect the reality of the Champions League at the moment, and it's very strange for commentators to pretend it doesn't. Sure, in this country the likes of Arsenal and Spurs cementing themsleves in this 'elite' bracket is laughable, but when was the last time Real Madrid or Barcelona weren't in the Champions League? When was the last time Manchester City weren't, having been purchased and bankrolled by a despotic nation state? Or PSG (who will undoubtedly, along with perhaps Lyon, quietly sign up to this as the French representatives)? I really think it's base hypocrisy for pundits, governing bodies and even governments alike to now have an issue with a 'closed shop' arrangement, when the reality is that once you allow football clubs to become the playthings of hedge funds and oil-rich nation states, that arrangement exists in practice anyway. And the 'Super League' would have 'qualification' spots, so the concern about the lack of fairytale stories like Leicester winning the right to play in the 'Big Time' is at least partly catered for.

In terms of finances, the outcry about a handful of elite clubs hoovering up even more money is frankly pretty laughable. To pretend that this hasn't been quietly happening for years anyway is farcical. If there was sincere concern about level financial playing fields from those at the top of the game, nation states, as I say, would not be permitted to purchase football clubs, Premier League revenue would be distributed more generously to the Football League and the powers that be would not be extending existing UEFA competitions (32 --> 36 teams in the Champions League) and adding new ones (this nonsensical new 'UEFA Conference League). Salary and squad caps would be introduced to stop the top clubs purchasing every even slightly talented footballer their scouts lay eyes on. FFP rules would actually be enforced. None of this happens, which makes, for me, the likes of Gary Neville sputtering about 'greed' (on Sky Sports, by the way) seem either deliberately obfuscatory or pitifully ignorant of the realities many clubs face.

I don't know, I'm sure I'm missing something somewhere and I would be grateful if someone could set me straight, but I really do struggle to see how this represents any major variation (for the average fan) from the reality of football in the 21st century. Obviously UEFA are terrified because they'll lose all their most appealing commercial assets, and the owners of 'big' clubs that haven't been invited are jealous that they haven't been invited to suckle at the teet of this enormous new cash cow. But for the typical fan, or spectator, or pundit, does it really change anything?

As an aside, infinitely grateful that I support a team and a club that is removed from all this nonsense. Even without this Super League debacle, I just don't see how you can have, as a fan, any sincere emotional connection to what is essentially a corporate entity with the name of a football club.

It's not just about money, it's also about power. The owners of these clubs want to effectively run all of football.

This cannot be a surprise after the "Big Picture" package was proposed by some of the teams involved in this.

I am inherently against this idea, but I do wonder whether for all the hand-wringing from the pundits on Sky and MOTD yesterday, this actually represents a particularly big shift in European football. It seems to me that the objections currently stem from 1) a sporting merit angle, and 2) a financial angle. But neither of those really holds up on inspection in terms of representing a vast divergence from the existing norm.

In terms of sporting merit, I notice that people object to there being this elite league which a core group of teams will be playing in every year, regardless of their performance. But that does reflect the reality of the Champions League at the moment, and it's very strange for commentators to pretend it doesn't. Sure, in this country the likes of Arsenal and Spurs cementing themsleves in this 'elite' bracket is laughable, but when was the last time Real Madrid or Barcelona weren't in the Champions League? When was the last time Manchester City weren't, having been purchased and bankrolled by a despotic nation state? Or PSG (who will undoubtedly, along with perhaps Lyon, quietly sign up to this as the French representatives)? I really think it's base hypocrisy for pundits, governing bodies and even governments alike to now have an issue with a 'closed shop' arrangement, when the reality is that once you allow football clubs to become the playthings of hedge funds and oil-rich nation states, that arrangement exists in practice anyway. And the 'Super League' would have 'qualification' spots, so the concern about the lack of fairytale stories like Leicester winning the right to play in the 'Big Time' is at least partly catered for.

In terms of finances, the outcry about a handful of elite clubs hoovering up even more money is frankly pretty laughable. To pretend that this hasn't been quietly happening for years anyway is farcical. If there was sincere concern about level financial playing fields from those at the top of the game, nation states, as I say, would not be permitted to purchase football clubs, Premier League revenue would be distributed more generously to the Football League and the powers that be would not be extending existing UEFA competitions (32 --> 36 teams in the Champions League) and adding new ones (this nonsensical new 'UEFA Conference League). Salary and squad caps would be introduced to stop the top clubs purchasing every even slightly talented footballer their scouts lay eyes on. FFP rules would actually be enforced. None of this happens, which makes, for me, the likes of Gary Neville sputtering about 'greed' (on Sky Sports, by the way) seem either deliberately obfuscatory or pitifully ignorant of the realities many clubs face.

I don't know, I'm sure I'm missing something somewhere and I would be grateful if someone could set me straight, but I really do struggle to see how this represents any major variation (for the average fan) from the reality of football in the 21st century. Obviously UEFA are terrified because they'll lose all their most appealing commercial assets, and the owners of 'big' clubs that haven't been invited are jealous that they haven't been invited to suckle at the teet of this enormous new cash cow. But for the typical fan, or spectator, or pundit, does it really change anything?

As an aside, infinitely grateful that I support a team and a club that is removed from all this nonsense. Even without this Super League debacle, I just don't see how you can have, as a fan, any sincere emotional connection to what is essentially a corporate entity with the name of a football club.
:.. but I do wonder whether for all the hand-wringing from the pundits on Sky and MOTD yesterday, this actually represents a particularly big shift in European football.'

So why are they doing it then?

PS are you trolling good the ESL?

‘It’s Carlisle United vs Bala Town coming to you from Łódź, Poland - AND IT’S LIVE!’

‘Join us after the break when Dean Saunders and Paul Parker will get all the players names wrong with the big build up to this huge dead rubber which could have some bearing on who finishes 8th’

Levy has only fired him now, because it takes the spotlight from them joining the super Lge.

Spurs will become a small fish in a deep pond. They will not reach the knockout stages of this league, and will fail like a few others. They may become rich from being there, but winning it or reaching later stages no chance.

PS are you trolling good the ESL?
Not sure what this means?

But was asking in good faith - beyond some superficial differences, at its core how is this different from the Champions League as it exists in 2021? As I understand it it's just going to be (as the 'ESL' clubs see it) a midweek European competition?

Can you imagine being Arteta this morning? He can’t even come in the top six as a member of the big six, Arsenal will be like Italy in Rugby Union.

But was asking in good faith - beyond some superficial differences, at its core how is this different from the Champions League as it exists in 2021? As I understand it it's just going to be (as the 'ESL' clubs see it) a midweek European competition?

Won’t 15 teams be guaranteed qualifying from the start, regardless of league placement thus be starting a 100 meter race about 95 meters in? With only 20 teams in it and those teams gaining huge money the domestic leagues will be even more cake walks, no chance will any other side get a look in.

This isn't the end of their greedy ambition. Can't you see that?

Where have you got that snippet from? Do you have a link (that you can paste into the other thread)?
No - the early morning stories, even from the broadsheets, were "Jose called in for crunch a.m. meeting after furious rows over ESL yesterday", but they've now been replaced with "Jose fired over performance" stories. I'll have another dig around.

Back
Top Bottom