National News Eric Pickles at Grenfell enquiry

OUFCGav

If you want to be truly gobsmacked by crass arrogance, check out the 'performance' of Eric Pickles (former housing minister) at the Grenfell enquiry.
When asked about his departments document about cutting red tape in building regulations he complained that he was "extremely busy" and had been promised he would "be away this morning". When pointed out the status of the enquiry he then told them "I urge you to use your time wisely."
When then asked to actually answer the question he had been asked he responded "I have answered it, I have answered it to the point of exhaustion, this document has no status." (he hadn't previously answered it).
When further questioned about the red tape cutting document he said it did not represent policy and alternatively claimed that the the document had been drawn up by a "junior" or "middle-ranking" press officer "who is not aware of the discussions that are taking place".
"This is a middle ranking official who is trying to generate a series of stories during August. There is nothing wrong with this but to think for one moment that this represents a mind of a department is as far from reality as you could imagine,"
He added: "I don't want to be flippant, this is a serious matter, but this is very much, if you forgive me, a dead cat bounce."

Amongst many other things, he also managed to get the number of dead wrong saying “I think its 96 people who were killed in the Grenfell fire”. (I assume he was getting mixed up with Hillsborough, was 72 at Grenfell)

Lord Pickles claimed the officials, whom he had never met, were making political assumptions, were poorly managed, involved in a "grudge" with a parliamentary committee and "struggling to cope" at work.
Richard Millett QC asked him to explain the situation and whether the former minister had been "spectacularly out of touch" with what was happening in his department.
Lord Pickles responded: "I think that would be uncharacteristically unjust of you to say that. This is an enormous department. I am utterly reliant on receiving good intelligence from my permanent secretary and director generals."

Back
Top Bottom