Matches Entry to Matches (Covid).

"This governments failure to control the delta variant"............. that at the last count was in 73 other countries who also "failed to control the delta variant"......

If people move so do viruses and their variants. Period.
It's not a stretch to say the government should have cancelled flights from India much earlier than it did at the very least. And whilst Delta outbreaks have happened in other European countries, none have been as severe as the UK.

I know... I`m in our core team.
We have a massive wide start and then it narrows onto park paths, not much we can do about the finish funnel, and we can`t hit the framework "target" number of scanners even using the quickies because "serious runners" don`t seem to carry their phones. :rolleyes:

331 today..... 46 PB`s...... 17.36 was first home.
Good to see UK up and running again.
We had a course record today 16:14! (and our course is about 150m too long).
(One time when I was run directing I did a bit of scanning too to ease the queue a bit. Our event director got an email from central telling me off.)

"This governments failure to control the delta variant"............. that at the last count was in 73 other countries who also "failed to control the delta variant"......

If people move so do viruses and their variants. Period.
It's mixed here. NSW certainly look like they have failed to control it - currently on a knife-edge, but the other states seem to have got it controlled by locking down and getting cases down to zero. (Victoria might lose control yet, but it's looking like their lockdown is working).

Appointments have fallen because there are less people left to jab, and we somehow still have to wait 8 weeks until we can get our second jab.
That's not to do with the number of appointments available. It's to do with the way the vaccines work - you need to allow a certain time after the first one in order to make the second one more effective (It was a 12 week wait, but they now reckon 8 is OK). Otherwise they could just give you a double shot first time round.

It's mixed here. NSW certainly look like they have failed to control it - currently on a knife-edge, but the other states seem to have got it controlled by locking down and getting cases down to zero. (Victoria might lose control yet, but it's looking like their lockdown is working).
It's tricky. From my non-scientific view and in all of our experience, lockdowns do work. Less contact, less infections. But then relax the lockdown and they will rise again because even if infections are apparently zero there is very very likely to be a pool of non-symptomatic people just ready to re-infect their contacts, or someone coming into an area from elsewhere who will re-import it.

There are very few things I think the UK government has got right during this pandemic - but the vaccine programme is certainly one of them, while the lockdown to save lives while it was being rolled out was also necessary (albeit ended a month or six weeks prematurely IMO). I really don't think it can be eliminated by lockdowns on their own - you have an unprotected population just waiting for the next wave.

It's tricky. From my non-scientific view and in all of our experience, lockdowns do work. Less contact, less infections. But then relax the lockdown and they will rise again because even if infections are apparently zero there is very very likely to be a pool of non-symptomatic people just ready to re-infect their contacts, or someone coming into an area from elsewhere who will re-import it.

There are very few things I think the UK government has got right during this pandemic - but the vaccine programme is certainly one of them, while the lockdown to save lives while it was being rolled out was also necessary (albeit ended a month or six weeks prematurely IMO). I really don't think it can be eliminated by lockdowns on their own - you have an unprotected population just waiting for the next wave.
Lockdowns work when you can get it down to zero. We’ve done it here twice with delta (instant and total lockdowns for just a few days). Victoria have done it previously and look like they’re winning again. South Australia look to have done it too. NSW look like they waited too long and it is now rolling round the community.
Vacc is a different matter - because WA has zero infections outside quaratine, people don’t think they need a vacc.

Lockdowns work when you can get it down to zero. We’ve done it here twice with delta (instant and total lockdowns for just a few days). Victoria have done it previously and look like they’re winning again. South Australia look to have done it too. NSW look like they waited too long and it is now rolling round the community.
Vacc is a different matter - because WA has zero infections outside quaratine, people don’t think they need a vacc.
But hasn't what you've said just proved the opposite? There will always be a slightly different variation or a reintroduction of an existing strain just around the corner - if places have had lockdowns and then have had to do it again, how is that ever going to end? I think all of the scientists I have heard speak on the matter have said that we (worldwide) are going to have to learn to live with this disease for many many years. Can you have places having to yoyo in and out of lockdowns indefinitely? Or let's say that Australia manages to get the number of infections down to zero. No cases at all, either symptomatic or non-symptomatic. What then? Will no foreigner ever be allowed into Australia without tests and no Aussie resident be allowed to travel abroad without being quarantined when they get back?

Reading that back, it sound a bit confrontational - it isn't supposed to, but I just don't understand what the end-point is without vaccinations?

But hasn't what you've said just proved the opposite? There will always be a slightly different variation or a reintroduction of an existing strain just around the corner - if places have had lockdowns and then have had to do it again, how is that ever going to end? I think all of the scientists I have heard speak on the matter have said that we (worldwide) are going to have to learn to live with this disease for many many years. Can you have places having to yoyo in and out of lockdowns indefinitely? Or let's say that Australia manages to get the number of infections down to zero. No cases at all, either symptomatic or non-symptomatic. What then? Will no foreigner ever be allowed into Australia without tests and no Aussie resident be allowed to travel abroad without being quarantined when they get back?

Reading that back, it sound a bit confrontational - it isn't supposed to, but I just don't understand what the end-point is without vaccinations?
I do think you make a good point. We needed lockdowns to stop half the country getting ill and swamping the NHS but there has to be an end game, which is an effective and ongoing vaccination programme. That doesn’t mean you don’t carry on with simple precautions like masks and avoiding crowds

We definitely need everyone vaccinated (apart from those who can’t), no question. What I was trying to say is that you can get things down to zero with short lockdowns (eg 5 days), but that does require proper quarantining for entrants from infected places. If we want to operate without any quarantining, and letting people in from (almost?) anywhere then I don’t think lockdowns will be able to get things to zero.
New Zealand population seem pretty keen on just locking everyone out! WA has a similar bolshy isolationist attitude which might curtail our travel options for a while.

That's not to do with the number of appointments available. It's to do with the way the vaccines work - you need to allow a certain time after the first one in order to make the second one more effective (It was a 12 week wait, but they now reckon 8 is OK). Otherwise they could just give you a double shot first time round.
If there are less appointments available because there's less demand due to there being less people to jab. And in terms of waiting for the second dose, many places recommend a 3-4 week wait, however the NHS is only offering an 8 week one. That's why it seems like the vaccination process is slowing down, because they can't open up any available slots to younger ages groups like they had previously done. Apart from that you've completely ripped by argument to shreds.

Last edited:
There are less appointments available because there's less demand due to there being less people to jab, that much is true. And in terms of waiting for the second dose, many places recommend a 3-4 week wait, however the NHS is only offering an 8 week one. That's why it seems like the vaccination process is slowing down, because they can't open up any available slots to younger ages groups like they had previously done. Apart from that you've completely ripped by argument to shreds.
Your first sentence makes no logical sense to me at all, sorry. You can walk in to places all over the country to have a jab or make an appointment online. My brother is working as a volunteer 'jabber' and seems to be busier than ever.

Where are these places that recommend only a 3 week gap? The government wanted to reduce the time to the second jab to 4 weeks, but the scientific advice is not to. I can find this:

In a new study, funded by the Department of Health and Social Care (DHSC), researchers have found that when compared to a four-week gap, a 10-week interval between the doses produces higher antibody levels, as well as a higher proportion of a group of infection-fighting cells in the body known as “helper” T cells.

However, when all the "pros and cons" are taken into consideration - such as soaring cases of the Delta variant and society opening up - eight weeks is the optimum interval.

(ITV News website dated yesterday - others similar on the Telegraph, Guardian, Sky, BBC etc websites)

So waiting the extra four weeks (as opposed to 4) gives better protection - although 10 might be better still. Which is surely what we all want?

There is no f*****g virus it's all B*****s. If you wear the nappy on your face and taken the jabs, you have then given away your freedoms, sorry but that's how I feel, I have an opinion, this is a forum. COYY'S

There is no f*****g virus it's all B*****s. If you wear the nappy on your and taken the jabs, you have then given away your freedoms, sorry but that's how I feel, I have an opinion, this is a forum. COYY'S

Claiming there is no virus is mental, how would you get all these different scientists, politicians, journalists etc around the world to agree to this huge lie?
I don’t really agree about masks with most people who think they work, and it’s up to you if you want to have the jabs but it’s a load of B*****s to claim there is no virus.

There is no f*****g virus it's all B*****s. If you wear the nappy on your face and taken the jabs, you have then given away your freedoms, sorry but that's how I feel, I have an opinion, this is a forum. COYY'S
It might be your opinion and feel free to hold it, but it's ill-informed rubbish.

What about all the people that have died? Or is that all made up somehow?

Why has no government worldwide (from far left to far right, from libertarian to dictatorship) spilled the beans?

How many reputable scientists (no - not YouTube or Twitter 'experts') have debunked the whole thing?

How has having two injections taken away our freedom? What do you think they are going to do to you?

Wearing a facemask is horrible. But again, what on earth would any government gain from asking people to do it?

It's taken them a hell of a lot of work to turn that club around, they have worked wonders since almost going to the wall a few years back.
Building a new stand soon as well. All financed and planning accepted.
They have a very good deals with the Oxford food company and Chadlington brewery. Just shows what can be done when you own your stadium.

Does anybody know how this is going to work if we do see a return to unlimited attendances? The only way I can see it working is if a negative test result / certificate is shown prior to ground entry. Double jabbed people can still catch and pass on the virus. I ask the question because I had a very bad reaction to the first vaccine jab and am highly reluctant to have another one of any sort. However, getting my season ticket renewed and watching live games again is something I desperately want to do.
Dean, my wife had the same, but had no reaction to the second. Get the 2nd jab!

I can assure you that if you spend a week in hospital after having a needle stuck in you, you do not rush out for a repeat performance.

Fully sympathise.

But what about the potential consequences if you don’t fully vaccinate ?

I appreciate that this is probably a very difficult decision, but maybe having had the first, any potential reaction to the 2nd may be diminished.

But what do I know, I’m not in the medical profession.

Good luck, whatever you decide.

Your first sentence makes no logical sense to me at all, sorry. You can walk in to places all over the country to have a jab or make an appointment online. My brother is working as a volunteer 'jabber' and seems to be busier than ever.

Where are these places that recommend only a 3 week gap? The government wanted to reduce the time to the second jab to 4 weeks, but the scientific advice is not to. I can find this:

In a new study, funded by the Department of Health and Social Care (DHSC), researchers have found that when compared to a four-week gap, a 10-week interval between the doses produces higher antibody levels, as well as a higher proportion of a group of infection-fighting cells in the body known as “helper” T cells.

However, when all the "pros and cons" are taken into consideration - such as soaring cases of the Delta variant and society opening up - eight weeks is the optimum interval.

(ITV News website dated yesterday - others similar on the Telegraph, Guardian, Sky, BBC etc websites)

So waiting the extra four weeks (as opposed to 4) gives better protection - although 10 might be better still. Which is surely what we all want?
But daily vaccinations are going down though? You can check it here for yourself: https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/vaccinations

The first sentence was clumsily written I'll admit, all I was doing was offering up an explanation as to why the availability of appointments could be lowering, and I know that many vaccination centres are closing down or soon to close. In fact, I had to rebook my second because my original centre is closing in the next couple of weeks.

Also you're coming at this from a very weird angle, you've first tried to pretend I want both jabs done at the same time, now you've completely invented the notion that I want vaccines done as quickly as possible not giving two shits about their effectiveness.

Ideally we wouldn't be opening up with so many young people still yet to be double jabbed, but thanks to this government we are, and whilst the government are unwilling to offer quicker vaccines they're still willing to expose more younger people to this disease. All I'm doing is pointing out the card that young people have been dealt.

But to answer your question, here are the places that refer to a three-four week gap:

Back
Top Bottom