Matches Entry to Matches (Covid).

I agree - but in the current climate (cases at 50,000 per day and deaths at about 100, with hospitals filling up again, with some projections* putting the peak for the current wave in mid September with daily deaths then between 100 and 900) - maybe we need to just be patient for another few weeks?

*https://covid19.healthdata.org/united-kingdom?view=resource-use&tab=trend&resource=all_resources

What would waiting a few weeks ago actually achieve though? Surely its just delaying the peak.

You would think we would have had this cleared up by now, but then you would think we would also know the squad size as well, but then you realise it’s the football league and they are useless.

At the Oxford City game it was masks on to enter and then the advice was to make your own risk assessment. We did, took off our masks and enjoyed the game.

Then again, we enjoyed a fine burger and a pint while watching. Non-league is a different world. And, did you know, Oxford City ran at a profit last season. Confirmed by Brian Cox, chairman and one time work colleague.

What would waiting a few weeks ago actually achieve though? Surely its just delaying the peak.
It would allow more people to get vaccinated in the meantime, thus meaning less people got ill enough to require hospital treatment (or died). That would reduce the pressure on the NHS - who have a hell of a lot to catch up with without a whole new influx of Covid patients. The virus is rampant at the moment, with us almost back to January levels. Of course because of the vaccines a smaller proportion of people are being hospitalised, but a small proportion of a very large number is still going to make the NHS creak at the seams.

Since the proportion of people who have to go to hospital with the disease if they have been vaccinated is much lower than the unvaccinated its a matter of maths. At the moment, around 170,000 people a day are getting a second jab and 45,000 a day their first jab. That's 215,000 a day. Lets say we waited just three weeks. That's 21 x 215,000 more jabs - well over 4 million people better protected.

I don't want restrictions any more than anyone else does. I hate them, and going to the pub the other night was really brilliant. But it just seems to me that we've put up with this s**t for 18 months - the last thing I want to happen is to be locked down for another six months come September.

At the Oxford City game it was masks on to enter and then the advice was to make your own risk assessment. We did, took off our masks and enjoyed the game.

Then again, we enjoyed a fine burger and a pint while watching. Non-league is a different world. And, did you know, Oxford City ran at a profit last season. Confirmed by Brian Cox, chairman and one time work colleague.
I felt safe there, outside and not crammed together. Even went to the bar and got a pint

As a matter of interest. Anyone had their seasonticket yet, or know whats happening.

It would allow more people to get vaccinated in the meantime, thus meaning less people got ill enough to require hospital treatment (or died). That would reduce the pressure on the NHS - who have a hell of a lot to catch up with without a whole new influx of Covid patients. The virus is rampant at the moment, with us almost back to January levels. Of course because of the vaccines a smaller proportion of people are being hospitalised, but a small proportion of a very large number is still going to make the NHS creak at the seams.

Since the proportion of people who have to go to hospital with the disease if they have been vaccinated is much lower than the unvaccinated its a matter of maths. At the moment, around 170,000 people a day are getting a second jab and 45,000 a day their first jab. That's 215,000 a day. Lets say we waited just three weeks. That's 21 x 215,000 more jabs - well over 4 million people better protected.

I don't want restrictions any more than anyone else does. I hate them, and going to the pub the other night was really brilliant. But it just seems to me that we've put up with this s**t for 18 months - the last thing I want to happen is to be locked down for another six months come September.

Trouble is if we delay opening up until September/October we are getting to the point where the flu season starts and the NHS is at its busiest, so we might aswell say we wouldn't be able to lift restrictions until next spring.

Trouble is, now that things like night clubs and pubs have opened with mass gatherings, with due respect, a lot of the youngsters will now feel they dont need the vaccine, so why bother when i can go and do as i want. Thats one reason appointments have fallen throughout the country and cases will remain high.

Just throwing this in the mix............. parkrun recommences this weekend.
Most events have around 300-400 folk and there are around 580 of them.
Back of an envelope tells me that is 174000 folk.
That, in turn, means around 50k of them will only have had 1 jab or less.
No restrictions at all........

Back to football........... mask when walking about in the concourse, take it off in your seat.
If you use the cesspits then Covid is the least of your worries.....................

Cases have actually dropped this week, not got a clue why?
I know of people who are only doing the Lateral flow testing because it's not legally binding and they don't want the risk of losing a holiday through isolating. That might explain a drop off in positive cases simply because less people are testing.

I know of people who are only doing the Lateral flow testing because it's not legally binding and they don't want the risk of losing a holiday through isolating. That might explain a drop off in positive cases simply because less people are testing.

Still around a million a day testing , no real change in it from the figures released daily.

Back to football........... mask when walking about in the concourse, take it off in your seat.
If you use the cesspits then Covid is the least of your worries.....................
What about eating and drinking in the communal areas. You can't do that with a mask on.

What about eating and drinking in the communal areas. You can't do that with a mask on.

Eating & drinking at the Kassam is more dangerous than Covid.......... the staff use the same cesspits we do with no ability to wash their hands..... :)

Parkrun central are pretty big on the covid framework though - distancing, disinfecting, masks when not running, spacing while running, no high-fiving, no spitting (should be banned anyway :) ). No multiple handling of any equipment (eg tokens).

Parkrun central are pretty big on the covid framework though - distancing, disinfecting, masks when not running, spacing while running, no high-fiving, no spitting (should be banned anyway :) ). No multiple handling of any equipment (eg tokens).

I know... I`m in our core team.
We have a massive wide start and then it narrows onto park paths, not much we can do about the finish funnel, and we can`t hit the framework "target" number of scanners even using the quickies because "serious runners" don`t seem to carry their phones. :rolleyes:

331 today..... 46 PB`s...... 17.36 was first home.

Trouble is, now that things like night clubs and pubs have opened with mass gatherings, with due respect, a lot of the youngsters will now feel they dont need the vaccine, so why bother when i can go and do as i want. Thats one reason appointments have fallen throughout the country and cases will remain high.
Any evidence to back this up, or is it nothing but blind reckon? I don't think you can say 'with due respect' when slagging off an entire group of people based on something you've made up.

I don't know many young people that aren't taking the vaccine, and if the government follows through, being double-jabbed will be a requirement of entry for nightclubs at the end of September. Appointments have fallen because there are less people left to jab, and we somehow still have to wait 8 weeks until we can get our second jab.

Cases remain high because the things that have opened up again i.e. the service industry, are staffed mainly by young people. This government's failure to control the delta variant and introducing a free-for-all on mask wearing when cases were still rising is to blame, not youngsters.

"This governments failure to control the delta variant"............. that at the last count was in 73 other countries who also "failed to control the delta variant"......

If people move so do viruses and their variants. Period.

Back
Top Bottom