• Gerrard at villa

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • Howe at Newcastle

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • Smith at Norwich

Votes: 3 25.0%

• Total voters

mooro

Three new appointments in the premier League, and three Englishmen, rather than overseas arrivals.
But which is going to be seen to have done the best job when their fans look back on their tenure?

I went Smith at Norwich because yes Norwich are going down this year but its a good shout that they will come straight back up again.

That's a hard question!

Gerrard has done better than I expected at Rangers - but they *are* a big fish in a small pond. Managing Villa will be much more of a challenge.
Howe will have huge expectations on him, even this season when he is largely stuck with the players that are already there. Imagine if they went down!
Smith will do OK at Norwich (in the Championship), I think his and the clubs style aren't a million miles apart, but he isn't going to save them from relegation this season.

I suppose it depends on what you mean by success! If I had to choose, I think Norwich are more likely to go back up under Smith than Gerrard is to be able to significantly improve Villa or Howe will be to fulfill the Geordie dream. So Smith.

How are you defining ‘success’?
Obviously very different tasks faced, which is why I'm thinking how their tenure will be viewed by their own fans looking back in say five years time

Here's my prediction for each:

Howe - Newcastle stay up - 2nd season: midtable - 3rd season fired after indifferent start
Smith - Norwich go down - Norwich go up - 3rd season fired after poor start
Gerrard - midtable obscurity - midtable obscurity - 3rd season fired after poor start

I reckon Gerrard will leave Villa in a better place when he leaves. He has the kudos to attract good players and he has shown he can inspire players with Rangers.

Norwich will carry on doing what Norwich have done for the last few seasons.

Howe, I think has to hit the ground running otherwise he'll be under pressure quickly with the unrealistic expectation now Newcastle have money to spend. He'll be the 1st to go if he doesn't get it going positively from early enough.

So for me Steven Gerrard as while he won't make them challengers for the Champions Lg, imo, he will improve them.

I think the best Villa can do is similar to Leicester but without the title. If Gerrard won them a cup, got them consistently competitive against the big boys - as Leicester are - and they were seriously knocking on the door of European football then that will be success. Not sure how they're going to achieve even that though, the big four or five aren't going anywhere other than where they currently are and you've got Leicester, Spurs, maybe West Ham, all trying to muscle in on European football and they're all ahead of Villa at the minute in terms of potential to succeed.

I think the best Villa can do is similar to Leicester but without the title. If Gerrard won them a cup, got them consistently competitive against the big boys - as Leicester are - and they were seriously knocking on the door of European football then that will be success. Not sure how they're going to achieve even that though, the big four or five aren't going anywhere other than where they currently are and you've got Leicester, Spurs, maybe West Ham, all trying to muscle in on European football and they're all ahead of Villa at the minute in terms of potential to succeed.

I don't think Gerrard will get achieve that but I think he will get them closer. That said, no reason why Villa in the medium to long term can't do what Moyes has done with Villa.

For me Norwich will go down but smith will bring them back up and will possibly keep them up for a season
Gerrard will do a decent job at villa and I think he could get them into the top 8 in the PL this season and maybe in to the euro league next season
Howe is the interesting one I personally think he will keep Newcastle up but will get sacked in the summer to make way for a bigger name these new owners aren’t going to want to keep battling relegation they want trophies

Success for Gerrard means the Liverpool job, is top 8 alone enough or does he have to win a cup to get it once Klopp has had enough of being surrounded by scousers?

The other two will be fired with a year and a half, Howe won’t live up the ridiculous Geordie ambitions and I reckon Smith will struggle to repeat the Norwich yo-yo.

All 3 will probably fail, all the jobs are at struggling clubs and managers don’t last long at those sort of clubs.

All 3 to receive a hefty payoff before the end of their suitably lucrative contracts.

Nice to see English managers being given a chance though.

Back
Top Bottom