England v Italy EURO 2020 Cup Final

001 Taxis - 10% discount for forum members
It's certainly aggravating when very poor behaviour is explained away as simply being that of 'a minority'. Statistically, I'm sure those who harbour racist thoughts, or express those thoughts, or attack others, or try to force their way into Wembley represent a small percentage of the population. But fact is, these people live amongst us. They are our neighbours or Oxford fans who sit near us at matches or people we spend time with in pubs or restaurants.

One racist tweeter who abused the penalty missers works for a prestigious estate agency. One man who abused and assaulted Chris Whitty is another estate agent. Are people like this easy to dismiss as part of a mythical moronic minority who are unlike 'us 'normal people'? I think not. If we hear casual racism - for example - in a social environment should we not confront it, irrelevant of how well we know the person? The ball's in our court folks and, in my opinion, justifying the booing of another national anthem because it's 'football tradition' or 'just a laugh' or 'because other countries do it' is pathetic rather than reasonable.

Moaning about thugs, vandals and racists on social media might be worth doing but won't solve the problem, although I realise actual confrontation is very difficult much of the time for a number of reasons.

Just wanting to pick up on your point about booing national anthems.

I've said I think it's all part of the pantomime and I haven't changed my mind on that. I'm not trying to justify it by saying that other countries do it, it's more a case that I can't imagine being offended by hearing GSOQ booed before a football match.

Perhaps I lack empathy here but can I ask is being offended by the booing of any national anthem really a virtue?

Obviously context is important, there are times when I would consider booing an anthem offensive, sporting events are not one of them however.

you can thank the left for that, lost on brexit, lost out in elections and cant win any other election in this country while Scotland votes SNP.

What?

Brexit was left vs right now?

Why did no-one tell me?

Should of started foden grealish and Sancho from the start seems like Southgate bottled it big time.

Let's hope he bottles it further in Qatar and brings home Jules Rimet.
It is dam frustrating I mean we played like same old England for 80 minutes now southgate getting a knighthood for finishing second shows what a loser mentality this country has.

Should of started foden grealish and Sancho from the start seems like Southgate bottled it big time.

He should have started a player who was confirmed injured before the game and wasn’t in the squad as a result?

Sure, Danny …

That midfield would have been torn to bits by Italy. Southgate got us to the final with pragmatism and low risk and he wasn’t going to change that.

But this seemed to be the way of the tournament and the way the modern game has gone. Defend at all costs, keep possession by passing backwards and sideways, every team did it. There was no stand out brilliant player of Euro 2020 like we have had at previous tournaments. And the quality of strikers on show at the moment is truly shocking, Spain would have won if they had a striker who could put away 1 of 10 chances they got each game. In a day when players earn unimagine wealth for playing football, this generation of footballers seems to be lacking in real quality compared to their predecessors and all seem to be moulded into the stale tactical way that the game now has become. Other than a 45 minute cameo from De Bruyne when Belgium desperately needed their best player I can't think of a stand out individual player performance.

Very true - but I don't think you need to focus in on Spain; Italy just won the tournament despite the fact that their striker, Immobile, is completely ineffective at international level and had to be hauled off after 50-odd minutes in a game they were losing in favour of playing three attacking midfielders/wingers up front, Guardiola-style.

(and don't even get me started on Belotti - how that guy now has a Euros-winners medal, I'll never know. He impressed me about as much this tournament as Steve Anthrobus did in a yellow shirt).

Probably the best strikers of the tournament were Schick, a Czech journeyman who's played for a bunch of middle tier teams and never been exceptional, and Benzema, a 33-year old (you can't fault him fro France's underperformance - he was excellent, just everyone behind him mailed it in.......). Think that says a lot.

With you in general, though - Modern Football is Rubbish.

People acting like we would lose to Italy anyway are idiots the simply played to thier strengths with a better manager we simply sat back and did nothing for 80 minutes scared and allowing itaky to play and not playing to our best strengths.

What I thought that may have happened when the defensive play was pretty obvious that was happening, as lot sooner the substitutions may have happened and changed is from a defensive setup to an attacking one and target their two CB’s possibly with Chellini being red carded. It wasn’t to be let’s hope from now on Southgate may change the system and start Foden and Grealish a lot more sooner oh and give Mount a rest definitely bout of his depth last night.

People acting like we would lose to Italy anyway are idiots the simply played to thier strengths with a better manager we simply sat back and did nothing for 80 minutes scared and allowing itaky to play and not playing to our best strengths.
As much as I like to hear someone's opinions on the manager and how different they would have done things its hard to take it serious when the said persons previous post was to play a kid not even fit enough to train or make the match day team.

The other thing aren't Italy supposed to their strengths? What were you expecting England to go all out attack and give a side who hadn't lost a game in 30 a proper hiding?

We were playing against a superior team, I think the first half we played really well and probably should have gone a bit more aggressively at Italy. Second half they were always going to come at us, they were never going to lie down and accept defeat.

The change in momentum for me was when Henderson came on for Rice. We started to midfield and verrati and jorginho were allowed time to get the ball to Insigne and Chiesa the danger men.

Back
Top Bottom