England Optimism?

Here are the tournament knock out victories since 1966, that I can think of...

86 beat Paraguay 3-0.
90 beat Belgium (Platt's last minute goal) and Cameroon (Platt + 2 Lineker pens).
96 beat Spain on pens.
02 beat Denmark 3-0.
06 beat Ecuador 1-0.

So I would say our last tournament knock - out stage victory of note is Spain in 96.

Here are the tournament knock out victories since 1966, that I can think of...

86 beat Paraguay 3-0.
90 beat Belgium (Platt's last minute goal) and Cameroon (Platt + 2 Lineker pens).
96 beat Spain on pens.
02 beat Denmark 3-0.
06 beat Ecuador 1-0.

So I would say our last tournament knock - out stage victory of note is Spain in 96.

I wouldn’t, none of those above were decent sides at the time , we played crap against a poor Spanish team that day and got away with it on pens. Since ‘66 we have not beaten an established decent knockout nation.

I wouldn’t, none of those above were decent sides at the time , we played crap against a poor Spanish team that day and got away with it on pens. Since ‘66 we have not beaten an established decent knockout nation.

Spain went into Euro 96 ranked 6th in the world and England 24th. I think it's fair to say they were a decent side...
We have certainly been left wanting since, mind.

You can't disregard narrow victories to suit your agenda. Narrow victories are generally how you proceed in knockout football. We've lost narrowly enough times.

Spain were ranked 7th in the world at the time, compared to our 13th. They had got to the quarters of the World Cup two years previously, compared to our failure to qualify. I'll take Spain as a notable scalp thanks.

Well done mate, your prerogative. I wasn’t arguing with you so no need to get all uppity is there. Go and have a lay down in the shade ?

people say england always sucked since 1966 but what about euro 96 lost to germany by luck and 2002 only just beaten by a very good brazilian team who where betterthan the current one if england would of won both of them games they could of won both tournements imo .

people say england always sucked since 1966 but what about euro 96 lost to germany by luck and 2002 only just beaten by a very good brazilian team who where betterthan the current one if england would of won both of them games they could of won both tournements imo .
Cheated out of the 1986 world cup finals in Mexico by Maradonna ...which shouldn't ever be forgotten ! ....'Hand of God? Hand of a cheating midget more like! ......which (as per') FIFA did zilch about :(:(:(

Cheated out of the 1986 world cup finals in Mexico by Maradonna ...which shouldn't ever be forgotten ! ....'Hand of God? Hand of a cheating midget more like! ......which (as per') FIFA did zilch about :(:(:(

yes imagine if that had been a english player they would be in too punish straight away .

Back
Top Bottom