England Optimism?

tonyw

Anyone else getting just a little hopeful?

That's two pre-WC friendlies, and two very comfortable wins. Nigeria are at least as good as Tunisia, and Costa Rica are significantly better than Panama.

Have to think we'll at least finish second in the group, and then have a chance to beat anyone from Group H. Could then be Germany in the quarters, and they're hardly in a rich vein of form at the moment.......

Maybe I'm delusional, but while expectations aren't that high, I don't think it's impossible that we make some noise.

Apart from anything else, in year's gone by we've gone into the tournament with a bunch of established superstars who've been absolutely knackered by the time the tournament started. Current squad's a lot younger and a lot fresher because most of them don't play every minute of every game for their clubs; there's also some genuine talent there.

I still worry about the centre of midfield, and obviously we could just bomb out completely. But feeling more positive than I have for a while now......

Depends what you mean by hopeful. Hopeful of getting out of the group, sure. Getting to the quarters, maybe. Anything further? Not really. When was the last time we beat anyone of note in tournament knockout football?

My expectations for English success at the WC are very low indeed, so I just hope there is some decent football on show - and any English high points will be a bonus.

Quarter finals would be an achievement.

Just that level below the real powerhouses like France, Germany, Brazil and Argentina.

Under 17's and Under 20's were winners so the FA @ St Georges are doing alot right and should be congratulated. Qtrs would be a v good WC IMO?

I'm happy that we have a young squad that seems to bond together well, and there aren't the 'brands' that there were during the golden generation.

No pressure on this group. I just want to see them play without fear and finally take some bloody risks!

If we can get some momentum and confidence early then who knows, we are not as bad as we are made out to be, got a good attack and full backs, bit average every where else but international football isn’t club football, all sides are unbalanced.

If we could really hit the ground running in that first game it would be massive, there is always one unfancied side that goes further than expected, I have a feeling that might be us.

Quarter finals max. Which given world rankings would be a really decent showing. The national team just isn't what it was. Quarters used to mean underachieving, now it would arguably be overachieving. Sad but true.

Just give it a go and play some nice football with talented young players and see where it goes. Expect very little and anything after the groups would become a bonus.

Quarter finals is where it will end. Lose to the Germans or brazil.

France to win the World Cup.

Quarters yes semi’s maybe. I do worry about our defence though. The squad is so geared up for counter attacking football that I worry when we play the “ lesser” nations that we won’t be able to break them down. I think we will do better against the better teams. Always hopeful, not expecting anything, let’s just go out and give it our best shot.

Depends what you mean by hopeful. Hopeful of getting out of the group, sure. Getting to the quarters, maybe. Anything further? Not really. When was the last time we beat anyone of note in tournament knockout football?

1966 ?

Quarter finals max. Which given world rankings would be a really decent showing. The national team just isn't what it was. Quarters used to mean underachieving, now it would arguably be overachieving. Sad but true.

Just give it a go and play some nice football with talented young players and see where it goes. Expect very little and anything after the groups would become a bonus.

We've made it past the quarters exactly twice ever! The notion of the England national team as historic world beaters is, for the most part, a fiction.....other than those two summers (the second of which was the worst World Cup ever).......

Since 1990, we've mostly gone into World Cups being hugely overrated because we've had a bunch of name players, who've mostly been shattered from too much football by the time they get there.

This time, I have a sense that we're going in somewhat underrated because we don't have those big name stars (Kane excepted). But we may actually have just as good a team. And they're certainly younger and fresher.

Don't think we're going to win it. But I think we should be disappointed if we don't get to the quarters. And when you're there, it's just a couple of games of knockout football to the final......

• React
Reactions: m
It's always easy to go for England pessimism, based on the many previous attempts, both WC and Euros.

I reckon we will do ok hoping Kane can become a real international striker in the shearer lineker owen mould and we are well overdue to win a shoot out at some point.

As mike basset would said come on we are England believe "we are better than the mexicans"

I think that England are good value for a QF place. Maybe not by raw talent but by being an organised (and at times an enjoyable) outfit to watch. Having Tunisia and Panama up first ahead of the Belgium game does help as I’m kind of hoping that both sides play out a draw after two wins each to both go through. Teams from Group H all look beatable so QFs is about right. England are no better than a last eight team and there’s no shame in that.

We all chunter and bemoan the FA but they do deserve credit for the work at St George’s and the improved performances of all of the national sides. The youth sides have picked up titles and Southgate has cast aside his ‘yes man’ image to actually have a method running through his senior side. No more ‘shock and awe’ with Gerrard, Lampard and Rooney, just a formation with steady, hard working and young players. It’s refreshing although I’m more excited by what they can do at the Euros in 2020. I think this World Cup comes a little too soon for some.

Another note, I think everyone enjoyed the Costa Rica game a lot more as the atmosphere was so much better. The Yorkshire folk made some proper noise and rolled out a few different chants. It’s about time England games were played around the country again so different corners of the country have a chance to watch them.

I have been pretty impressed with Southgate. He has brought in young players and appears to have them moving in the same direction.

The quarter finals is possible and would be a pretty good effort. If we got to the QF who knows? It is Cup football at that stage and a little luck?

My worry is that particularly our midfield lacks real quality but with Kane, Rashford, Sterling Alli we have players capable of scoring. One of the things that has impressed me most in the past couple of friendlies is that Trippier and Alexander Arnold look like they can put in a decent ball and we actually look as if we could be dangerous from set pieces. No getting Harry Kane taking corners (FFS what was all that about Roy??)

Reduced expectations is a good thing and let's hope that England play bright entertaining football and cause a couple of surprises.

I’m always optimistic that England will do well in a tournament before a ball is is kicked. I never go to or watch any game England or oxford thinking we will lose, and I think the current England squad has a better chance than many before them of doing well in the competition.
I for one am looking forward to it.

Come on England !!!!

Back
Top Bottom