England national team

Ox4Eva

Is there any way you can see the national team improve?

the Shaun Harvey boycott trophy sponsored by checkatrade will be the saviour...... by bringing on all that ENGLISH talent languishing in Premiership B-teams, .......... won't it ?
:LOL::LOL::LOL:

Yes - if the FA stop worrying about shirt sales and we progress the squads like Germany do. There is talent at all levels below senior level (U17, U19 and U21 all successful) but because they're not playing in the billion pound prem teams they'll never see senior National football.. Stop excluding players that are plying their trade lower down, because Prem teams want to buy and demand instant success.

I hope Southgate has the balls and is "allowed" to take the likes of Loftus-Cheek to Russia. Dump the prima donnas should be a national campaign...

Yes definitely but in all likelihood the best chance will come in maybe 8 years time (in 2 WC's time).
The Premier League could hold us back, but I am pleased that a couple of players have gone/ going to Germany to get first team football. Foden came on as sub for Man City and will apparently start for City in the League Cup midweek.
I reckon that Southgate has been a good choice as he clearly has been involved in the younger age groups and is not afraid of getting the youngsters involved.

I don't know the answer, but I hope someone does. I took my son to all 5 home world cup qualifiers, and results apart, didn't really enjoy them much.
There seemed to be too much playing it around at the back, and when attacking, instead of getting a shot off, passing out wide or back.
Bit frustrating....bit like Oxford... but these are supposed to be the elite.

Was nice to stuff the Jocks though :D:D:D

Far too late now as they've allowed the premiership and their clubs to dictate for years.
How many times have players been withdrawn due to alleged injury only to be fine a few days later for club matches (more so before international breaks came in)...
Then you have the constant witch hunt by the media trying to dig up some dirt on the manager whether doing a fair job or not.
As i stated many times it surprises me that so many still turn up at wembley given what's been served up for years

Yes definitely but in all likelihood the best chance will come in maybe 8 years time (in 2 WC's time).
The Premier League could hold us back, but I am pleased that a couple of players have gone/ going to Germany to get first team football. Foden came on as sub for Man City and will apparently start for City in the League Cup midweek.
I reckon that Southgate has been a good choice as he clearly has been involved in the younger age groups and is not afraid of getting the youngsters involved.

I hope Southgate is brave enough to make those kind of selections when it matters most though. We've seen managers in the past choose a range of different players during qualifying and friendlies, but continue to choose the regular lot in tournaments. He still considers Hart our first choice keeper, despite a poor season at Torino and having a tough time at West Ham this season. Tad worrying. I read that his job is safe regardless of what happens next year, so he should be fearless and take a few risks. I think most people would find that approach quite refreshing.

The Premier League and the need for instant results has definitely hindered the progression and development of our younger players. Without question. I can't see that changing either, with the financial rewards of staying in the Premier League increasing all the time. Like you said, if they have to move elsewhere to play first team football at a good level, hopefully that's what they do.

Last edited:
As I see it, we are still a very long way from winning anything.
Kane and Alli have got talent but I feel that they are not quite good enough to turn us from a top twelve side to amongst the best sides in the world.
Defensively, we are not all that and walkers defending will be exposed by any half decent winger. Of course, there is also our innate ability to fall to pieces whenever we come up against a good side.
This next World Cup has thrown us up a really decent group. But I see us struggling to qualify if we don’t hit the ground running.

I hope Southgate is brave enough to make those kind of selections when it matters most though. We've seen managers in the past choose a range of different players during qualifying and friendlies, but continue to choose the regular lot in tournaments. He still considers Hart our first choice keeper, despite a poor season at Torino and having a tough time at West Ham this season. Tad worrying. I read that his job is safe regardless of what happens next year, so he should be fearless and take a few risks. I think most people would find that approach quite refreshing.

The Premier League and the need for instant results has definitely hindered the progression and development of our younger players. Without question. I can't see that changing either, with the financial rewards of staying in the Premier League increasing all the time. Like you said, if they have to move elsewhere to play first team football at a good level, hopefully that's what they do.
Agree with what you say.

The point is though that we have a FANTASTIC group of youngsters coming through. The best ever (just look at the U16's to the U21's.

These players are starting to play in the Bundesliga/ Premiership (even for Man City).

I really hope that the fans don't expect too much in Russia. I am sure that the players/ team will be slagged off even if they get through the group (which is about all that we can really expect based on how good we are not..)

It is probably 8 years time when the current young players could really make their mark.

Depends on which area you are referring to, results, general play, consistency, goals scored, including penalty's ?!'

I think there are signs that the team are slowly improving, mainly because they do attempt at last to play from out of defence rather than route one or more direct play. Not confident that our centre halves are too comfortable with it, and that goes for the goal keepers too! Getting the players at all levels to play this way so it comes second nature instead of having to think about it is key.

I take your point about goalkeepers.
Does anyone really think that Joe Hart is number one (apart from his mum)?

The problem about the current group of youngsters for the following 2 world cups etc is that they will then be the prem high earners and so the cycle will forever continue as we know it today.

I take your point about goalkeepers.
Does anyone really think that Joe Hart is number one (apart from his mum)?

In actual fact, his mum's a big fan of Fraser Foster and repeatedly tweets that she'd like to have his babies.

Depends on which area you are referring to, results, general play, consistency, goals scored, including penalty's ?!'

I think there are signs that the team are slowly improving, mainly because they do attempt at last to play from out of defence rather than route one or more direct play. Not confident that our centre halves are too comfortable with it, and that goes for the goal keepers too! Getting the players at all levels to play this way so it comes second nature instead of having to think about it is key.

With regards Centre-halves, John Stones is very comfortable doing that as he does it for Man City. Harry Maguire (iirc) was very comfortable doing that as well playing left of the back 3.

Agree with what you say.

The point is though that we have a FANTASTIC group of youngsters coming through. The best ever (just look at the U16's to the U21's.

These players are starting to play in the Bundesliga/ Premiership (even for Man City).

I really hope that the fans don't expect too much in Russia. I am sure that the players/ team will be slagged off even if they get through the group (which is about all that we can really expect based on how good we are not..)

It is probably 8 years time when the current young players could really make their mark.

Crayfish and communal saunas ?;)

Squad for Russia ...

Butland, Pickford, Hart
Trippier, Gomez, Walker, Stones, Maguire, Smalling, Bertrand, Rose
Dier, Henderson, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Alli, Ruben-Cheek, Lingard, Lallana, Drinkwater,
Kane, Vardy, Rashford, Sterling

Refreshing to see them playing in a real England kit at last.

Squad for Russia ...

Butland, Pickford, Hart
Trippier, Gomez, Walker, Stones, Maguire, Smalling, Bertrand, Rose
Dier, Henderson, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Alli, Ruben-Cheek, Lingard, Lallana, Drinkwater,
Kane, Vardy, Rashford, Sterling

not sure why hart keeps getting picked not even top 4 england keeper anymore .

Back
Top Bottom