England national team

Squad for Russia ...

Butland, Pickford, Hart
Trippier, Gomez, Walker, Stones, Maguire, Smalling, Bertrand, Rose
Dier, Henderson, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Alli, Ruben-Cheek, Lingard, Lallana, Drinkwater,
Kane, Vardy, Rashford, Sterling

not sure why hart keeps getting picked not even top 4 england keeper anymore .

That’s not the actual squad

For all that some of the TV pundits seemed impressed by the performance against Holland and encouraged by the Italy game, I though both were actually rather poor. The England team remind me of the current Oxford team in some ways - too willing to try to play the ball out and not quite good enough to do it consistently or safely and quite happy to pass the ball about slowly without actually creating a whole heap of chances. Both the Italians and the Dutch are fairly poor at the moment - IMO we will get out of the group by the skin of our teeth and then get knocked out by the first halfway decent team we face.

Think the national team are on an upward curve - we are a lot tighter defensively with the 3-4-3 and can see us making some decent progress in Russia. The switch of position of Walker has impressed me.

Certainly not world beaters though.

Think the national team are on an upward curve - we are a lot tighter defensively with the 3-4-3 and can see us making some decent progress in Russia. The switch of position of Walker has impressed me.

Certainly not world beaters though.

Quarter finals again, then?

I'd be happy with the quarters, to be honest. I think that's no more than we're worth at the moment. If you look at the draw, we'll probably get Germany and Brazil if we get that far, so we certainly won't be going any further, unless we can adopt some of Iceland's spirit.

A probable team in The Sun today had a gk, 6 defenders, Jordan Henderson ?, two wingers tucked in and a centre forward, nothing like going there with a bit of ambition.

The FA and Southgate have spent a couple of years lowering ambitions so that being ultra defensive is acceptable. Rather have a go than do that, both will probably have the same end result anyway.

One of the managers from the group Jordan Henderson at the weekend. He's ok, and this is England's problem. They are ok with that.

Tunisia have been playing pretty well recently from the looks of results - certainly they've not been conceding many goals.
I could easily see the opening game being a 0-0 bore draw as the Tunisians keep it tight, and England lack the spark to open them up.

We'll then beat Panama (who appear to be awful), but go into the Belgium game still needing something. We'll play encouragingly well in something like a 2-2 draw, giving everyone hope and then we'll spanner it up and lose on penalties to Poland in the last 16........

Back
Top Bottom