Sport Endeavor ITV last night

Sarge

God like member
Apart from one passing reference to Oxford United in an episode of Inspector Morse ( if memory serves) , neither 'Morse, or the spinoffs Lewis ( 'young morse') Endeavor until last night, there's zero regarding any Oxford based clubs, real or fictional..... until the opening episode of last nights series of Endeavor, set in 1970.

fictional 'local' rivals Oxford Wanderers ( home colours yellow n blue) and Cowley Town met in an fa cup round 5 tie ,.... and subsequent replay, ...... a plot involving Northern Irish International players, an ambitious agent, an equally ambitious chairman whos business dealings were close to the line, and dodgy ground ownership shenanigans.

it should be available on itv plus if its of any interest ?

there were a few Tv programmes short series' on tv years ago loosely based on football that were part fimed at the Manor, some U's fans were roped in as extras - cant recall what it/ they were called though?

Apart from one passing reference to Oxford United in an episode of Inspector Morse ( if memory serves) , neither 'Morse, or the spinoffs Lewis ( 'young morse') Endeavor until last night, there's zero regarding any Oxford based clubs, real or fictional..... until the opening episode of last nights series of Endeavor, set in 1970.

fictional 'local' rivals Oxford Wanderers ( home colours yellow n blue) and Cowley Town met in an fa cup round 5 tie ,.... and subsequent replay, ...... a plot involving Northern Irish International players, an ambitious agent, an equally ambitious chairman whos business dealings were close to the line, and dodgy ground ownership shenanigans.

there were a few Tv programmes short series' on tv years ago loosely based on football that were part fimed at the Manor, some U's fans were roped in as extras - cant recall what it/ they were called though?
I wasn't in that episode but I did get to feature in the Morse episode "Way through the woods" Sadly only as a photograph but I was top of Morse's list of suspects!
Working as a film extra around Oxford and the County used to pay quite well and often you would get fed on set.

The Real Eddy English starring Frank Windsor was filmed at the Manor during an FA cup match v Sunderland I seem to remember

The Manageress? or was that at the current ground

I’ve just recently watched both series of the manageress on YouTube and many games were at the manor and readings old Elm Park

There was an Episode of Auf Wiedersehen Pet scheduled after Leeds visited 😁 although Oxford United and Maxwell were mentioned in an episode

Having watched last nights episode, any ideas which ground it was filmed in.,wondering if it was one of the Abingdon ones,

A mate of mine did some extras work a good few years ago and told me this tale. The scene involved a crowd sat in the beech road stand. A member of the production team behind the camera had hands in the air waving left to right, right to left which the extras had to follow to simulate them watching the match. All went well until a naked woman appeared in the window of one of the flats that could be seen to the right just outside the ground. Chaos ensued and a retake of the scene.

I was not there but he swore it was true. Anyone else there on that day who could verify? The film was about Gary Lineker I think

Seargent Lewis definitely had an Oxford United mug in one shot in the original series and I'm fairly sure that Strange mentioned the club in one of the later episodes, again in the original series. Much more certain of the former than the latter, though.

I remember being very satisfied that they used to have 95.2FM displayed on the car radios; such an eye for detail.

Last night's episode of Endeavour was a good lesson in why TV should steer clear of football re-enactment - to anyone that has played or followed football at all, it never looks remotely authentic.

There's also the infamous Oxford v Arsenal FA Cup Replay at The Manor where the whole of our team got sent off arranged by that nice Jimmy Saville..........

There's also the infamous Oxford v Arsenal FA Cup Replay at The Manor where the whole of our team got sent off arranged by that nice Jimmy Saville..........
I was at the recording for that. Strange day.

TV amateurs around here........... ;)

Channel 4 - Two episodes of a series
Quest - Two Episodes of a series
BBC1 - Six Episodes of a series
BBC1 - One Episode of a series (TBA)

I`m wiping Jim`ll Fix It from my mind....

Having watched last nights episode, any ideas which ground it was filmed in.,wondering if it was one of the Abingdon ones,
could be wrong, but I dont think it was Abingdon utd... don't know if it was 'Town, - though ( I maybe imagined it, but haven't 'Town lost their ground? ).... I did wonder which ground it was, though didn't study the credits at the end

could be wrong, but I dont think it was Abingdon utd... don't know if it was 'Town, - though ( I maybe imagined it, but haven't 'Town lost their ground? ).... I did wonder which ground it was, though didn't study the credits at the end

Town are sadly no longer, due to the company who own the Culham Road Ground of which Ian Rush (w****r) is a part owner made it financially impossible for them to remain.

Culham Road is distinctive, Utd's Northcourt Rd isn't distinctive. It was mentioned on this thread previously but I've seen it elsewhere as being St Alban's.

Last edited:
Seargent Lewis definitely had an Oxford United mug in one shot in the original series and I'm fairly sure that Strange mentioned the club in one of the later episodes, again in the original series. Much more certain of the former than the latter, though.

I remember being very satisfied that they used to have 95.2FM displayed on the car radios; such an eye for detail.

Last night's episode of Endeavour was a good lesson in why TV should steer clear of football re-enactment - to anyone that has played or followed football at all, it never looks remotely authentic.
It all looked very basement non-league (if it was shot at St Albans City they play in a park as I recall from our Conference days) yet trying to suggest both fictitous clubs were in Division 1. I know it was supposed to be 1971, but even the Kassam would have looked more realistic.

In the mid-70s our Bicester boys team (Bardwell Bombers) appeared in a kids TV series called 'Striker' - it was written by Kenneth Cope (who was best known as Marty Hopkirk in 'Randall & Hopkirk (Deceased)' and lived in Islip at the time). We played a team getting thrashed by the stars of the programme, most of who poor players at best - that involved standing still or throwing ourselves sideways while they 'dribbled' around or nutmegged us. Even at the time and with the excitement of being on TV, we could how see poor the game enactment was - even given the low level Sunday league team we were.

Back
Top Bottom