End of the decade

Another Melbourne Ox

So a decade that started with a 0-1 home defeat to Tamworth in the conference ends with a 2-1 win at Wimbledon that puts us 2nd in League 1. Overall, you have to say that its been quite a good decade (definitely much better than the one before!).
- Two promotions (no relegations)
- Three trips to Wembley
- Six wins against Swindon
- Cup wins over Premier League (Swansea, West Ham) and several championship teams (Newcastle, Brentford, Birmingham, Millwall)
- FA Cup 5th round in 2016/17 and league cup quarter finals this season
One feature of this decade has been the relative stability of our managers. If you take out the brief encounters we had with Waddock and Clotet, we have basically had three managers this decade (and all very good ones): Wilder, Appleton, Robinson. Opinions may vary on the owners we've had during this time, but you have to say that they have backed these three managers well -- all three could have been sacked at different stages in their tenures, but the owners kept faith. In fact, we only had one instance in the whole decade of a manager being sacked or forced out due to bad results (Clotet). How many other clubs can say that?
The biggest frustration of the decade must be the lack of any visible progress on the stadium issue. What happens on this front over the next ten years will probably be the defining moment of the next decade.
Happy New Year to all!

Last edited:
While the stadium issue hasn't changed, everything else has for the better. We have a training ground secured for the future, we have a board that are ambitious and have backers with the clout to get there eventually. The fan base is either growing or the stay aways are venturing back. We are bringing youth through and don't throw money at past it players looking for there last pay packet. If we do gain promotion this year it will be up there with the 80s of being a fan of Oxford. Bring on the next 10 years.

Gary Waddock was also sacked although he was a victim of the takeover and it came at a time where managers are changed in the close season.

I think you can divide it into a decade or two halves to use a footballing cliche. 2010-2015 - austere times in League 2 where we became the sounding board for Wilder to develop into the manager he is today. Football was indifferent and very up and down but we were steady. 2015-19 - after Eales’ takeover properly took hold, it bore fruit with the promotion and cup runs. There were bumps in the road (a large Clotet sized one mainly) but the second half of this decade has been more fun than the first.

I think you can divide it into a decade or two halves to use a footballing cliche. 2010-2015 - austere times in League 2 where we became the sounding board for Wilder to develop into the manager he is today. Football was indifferent and very up and down but we were steady. 2015-19 - after Eales’ takeover properly took hold, it bore fruit with the promotion and cup runs. There were bumps in the road (a large Clotet sized one mainly) but the second half of this decade has been more fun than the first.

Although the first half of the decade had the best, and most important single moment.

None of the later progress from Appleton & Robinson would have been possible without the events of May 16th 2010.
Rhys Day's clearing header, followed by Alfie-to-Sam Deering-back-to-Alfie..... that's something that will be emblazoned on my mind for the rest of my life!

Compared to the previous decade of downright misery, the 2010’s have had some magnificent moments. I think getting promoted to League One was the standout moment for me.

Compared to the previous decade of downright misery, the 2010’s have had some magnificent moments. I think getting promoted to League One was the standout moment for me.
The stand out moment for me was Wembley 2010 if we didn’t win god knows where we’d be today that’s was probably the best day for me being an OUFC fan

I'd happily take another 2 promotions and 3 Wembley appearances in the next decade!

We started with promotion at the start of the decade, (2010), who’s to say we won’t get the magic “P” word at the start of the next decade, (2020), we have certainly put ourselves in a fantastic position and mind set to do this.....

Doncaster tomorrow gives us another opportunity to put the grind on towards the top of the league.
We are breaking records as we go in this thrilling season - playing football the likes of which we haven’t seen for years.
Doncaster won’t be a pushover,
They never are, but we have silk and steel and not just a little grit to get a result there.
Keepmoat is a decent stadium too, one which I will miss this time, So,
To all you mighty yellows making the trip, go noisily and enjoy it.

Although the first half of the decade had the best, and most important single moment.

None of the later progress from Appleton & Robinson would have been possible without the events of May 16th 2010.
Rhys Day's clearing header, followed by Alfie-to-Sam Deering-back-to-Alfie..... that's something that will be emblazoned on my mind for the rest of my life!
for me too. couldn't do the milk cup final but watching Oxford win at Wembley with my late father will never be forgotten.
wish he was still here to see this now

The stand out moment for me was Wembley 2010 if we didn’t win god knows where we’d be today that’s was probably the best day for me being an OUFC fan

Wembley was fantastic, but I’m not sure why I just felt like 2016 was more special. Maybe it was the team?

Wembley was fantastic, but I’m not sure why I just felt like 2016 was more special. Maybe it was the team?

I agree. The play off final win was a relief that we were back in the league finally. But the promotion to league 1 where we hadn't played for years felt like the whole city got behind us with the media and the council arranging an open top bus when the club wasn't bothered with one.

Now if we get promoted this season it will bypass all of the above and will be the best moment.

Fans of big Premier League clubs may have bigger / higher profile games than our playoff win. But they'll never experience a match of such importance

I think thats the most I've ever celebrated a goal in my life!!

I think thats the most I've ever celebrated a goal in my life!!

It was more of a celebration of thank f**k we are finally back in the league for me, we shouldn't of ever been in non league . The promotion to league 1 and the win over Wycombe at home felt stronger for me that we are finally going somewhere where we haven't been for 15 + years.

Yes, there was definitely as much relief as joy in those celebrations at Wembley. Lord alone knows what state the club would have been in if we hadn't gone up - and we all knew that at the time...

It was more of a celebration of thank f**k we are finally back in the league for me, we shouldn't of ever been in non league . The promotion to league 1 and the win over Wycombe at home felt stronger for me that we are finally going somewhere where we haven't been for 15 + years.
I agree the promotion to league one really did feel like we'd turned a corner and were moving forwards, and it felt great, and I was going mental at the end of the game along with everyone else!

But given how devastated I was when we were relegated after losing the final game of the season to Leyton Orient, and the god awful years watching the club I love ply their trade in the conference, the Wembley promotion back into the football league was one of the most exhilarating moments of my entire life, I genuinely lost the plot, and my voice, and I'm not ashamed to say, when the players lifted the trophy, and were celebrating in front of the fans afterwards, there were tears in my eyes!!

It's been a great decade for the club, and promotion this season will the icing on the cake!

Ridiculously, having seen the rise through the leagues and the seasons in the top division, the York game was probably the most important oufc game I have ever seen.
So sure, relief but more than that- sndcat Wembley as well

Back
Top Bottom