End of match day programmes

swolley

The EFL are going to discuss whether match day programmes need to be published for every match. It seems sales are falling as people read on line. I did not know it was a rule that clubs had to print one.

In my younger days I always bought a programme home and away. I also used to buy 'bundles' which would be a random selection from different clubs and years. These days I am more selective, maybe to read the manager or chairman's notes on a particular subject or a high profile match.

I have boxes of old programmes in my garage, if I start looking for something it can take ages as I get diverted as I am reminded of particular matches and look at our lineup and think how did that team ever win/lose a match.

I wonder what sort of income it brings to a club like Oxford? I would miss programmes but maybe its a generational thing - nostalgia ain't what it was. What do others think?

Think it's pretty inevitable. The internet is these days the best resource for all club information.

As a younger (32) programme buyer they will be missed by me. Still remember looking through my dad old Oxford and Arsenal Programmes with the smell and history seeping out of them. i wan't there in the late 70's but I can still feel like i experianced those times watching the games through words and match reports. I have a programme subscription today i hope it doesn't go through as obviously it will affect that. Like independent fanzines no flares and sitting in grounds football is gradually moving away from the exciting working class sport it was. I don't want a sport run for foreign/sky TV I want an authenic old skool working class experiance and programmes are part of that experience.

Always buy, home and away, loads in the loft. A couple of years ago I spoke to Chris Williams and was supprised how low the percentage of the crowd buys them. Cannot remember what it was but sure he said it was even lower at some prem club'

Always buy, home and away, loads in the loft. A couple of years ago I spoke to Chris Williams and was supprised how low the percentage of the crowd buys them. Cannot remember what it was but sure he said it was even lower at some prem club'
Cock.

As a younger (32) programme buyer they will be missed by me. Still remember looking through my dad old Oxford and Arsenal Programmes with the smell and history seeping out of them. i wan't there in the late 70's but I can still feel like i experianced those times watching the games through words and match reports. I have a programme subscription today i hope it doesn't go through as obviously it will affect that. Like independent fanzines no flares and sitting in grounds football is gradually moving away from the exciting working class sport it was. I don't want a sport run for foreign/sky TV I want an authenic old skool working class experiance and programmes are part of that experience.
Does he have the Arsenal v Oxford programme, FAC 3, I think Jan 1962 (before I was born), the month of the very, very bad weather, so bad they didn't know when the match would be played so there was no date on the programme. The programme was worth about 10pounds (pound sign not working?!) 30+ years ago. Not sure if these programmes are worth a lot more now or not.
I suppose we lost that match when it was eventually played.

Back
Top Bottom