National News End Child Food Poverty

Do you believe that the vouchers are being used to buy drugs and alcohol?

Do you believe they will be used solely to feed the kids?

I believe that many will have differing priorities and that the food parcels should be far, far better than those shown.

On the left a parcel from a Welsh council to feed a family of 3 for 2 weeks.... which is nearer where we should be.
2_escenic-27.jpg

I believe that many will have differing priorities and that the food parcels should be far, far better than those shown.

On the left a parcel from a Welsh council to feed a family of 3 for 2 weeks.... which is nearer where we should be.
View attachment 5294
Sadly I do. Are you implying that the picture on the right isn't entirely what was received?

View attachment 5294
One is a family food parcel and the one on the right is just for kids lunches for 5 days.... don't get me wrong it's crap still but just not an accurate comparison!

Sadly I do. Are you implying that the picture on the right isn't entirely what was received?

It may have been what some people received, equally it may not! The joy of social mejia.... folk grab 1 thing out of tens of thousands and it becomes " the norm".

End of the day it is free food to feed the kids for lunch.

The bigger issue is that somebody sent out £5 worth of food and happily billed HMG for £30 or so.

I haven`t seen any comparisons barring the Welsh larger volume family box for a similar price.

nahhhh i smell bull:poop:....or at most some tramp company taking the P**s.....too random a mix spuds,a tin of beans and 2 carrots???? LOL

It may have been what some people received, equally it may not! The joy of social mejia.... folk grab 1 thing out of tens of thousands and it becomes " the norm".

End of the day it is free food to feed the kids for lunch.

The bigger issue is that somebody sent out £5 worth of food and happily billed HMG for £30 or so.

I haven`t seen any comparisons barring the Welsh larger volume family box for a similar price.
One point you are missing is that this "kid's lunch" may be the only food they get all day. If they are already on free school meals, do you think they are getting a nice filling breakfast before school, a snack after school, followed by a nutritious dinner before bed.

View attachment 5294
As long as the parents are spending more than 16% of vouchers on food they’ll be offering more than those greedy companies.

One point you are missing is that this "kid's lunch" may be the only food they get all day. If they are already on free school meals, do you think they are getting a nice filling breakfast before school, a snack after school, followed by a nutritious dinner before bed.

If that is the only food they get all day then any fault lies squarely at the parents feet.
I received FSM`s and was in a single parent family.
We both got fed breakfast and an evening meal, yes the choices were "limited" and you ate it or went hungry.
By Friday we would get surprise pie... it was a surprise what was in it be it leftovers or whatever.

Just the basics of feeding kids.....
1kg of porridge oats is 75p. That`s breakfast.
Snack after school... you know the price of normal fruit.
Dinner - take a look at Jack Monroe, The Bootstrap Cook. There are many resources for food that is nutritional, economical and cheap too cook.

And for what it`s worth fuel poverty is probably a bigger issue than hunger and more easily resolved.

Are you saying the parents are spunking their kids food money on wide screen tvs and coke?

Are you saying the parents are spunking their kids food money on wide screen tvs and coke?

How many kids do you have to have to get a big tv and Charlie for free off the social? Asking for a friend obviously.

No I`m saying what some prioritise and what they consider essential may well be different to you and I.
Hence state support should be both there and restricted, with conditions if you like.
The people receiving support are, in the majority, doing things right for their kids.

No I`m saying what some prioritise and what they consider essential may well be different to you and I.
What would you consider to be a non-essential item or luxury that people choose to spend money on over feeding their kids?

Not a loaded question - I am genuinely interested. Mainly because I’ve seen a lot of nonsense from people saying things like, “I bet they have the Internet though” as though the Internet isn’t an essential utility in 2021. Also their kids need it to stand any chance of learning right now, as well as some sort of laptop or computer that those same people also think is some sort of P**s take for them to have. I’ve also seen people saying, “Huh, got mobile phones to take pictures on before posting them online though haven’t they?!” Probably the same people who don’t realise that having a landline phone costs more in rental charges in a year than a cheap handset and a few top ups, which in year two becomes even cheaper still as the handset is a one off purchase while the landline charges never end.

I’m just genuinely unsure as to what people think is going on and what they think people have that they shouldn’t, or what it is that they should be giving up. I grew up very poor (especially until the age of about 10) just as it seems you did, so it’s something I take an interest in. While we don’t always agree I like to think that you might be able to provide me with some genuine insight into things that parents are spaffing their kids’ food money on that aren’t the things I’ve already mentioned above. I am fully aware that some parents are more responsible than others and don’t doubt for a second that there are some out there who simply fail their children through bad choices, but I would like to try to understand more about what those choices are.

I'd just add that the 'parents will spend children's food vouchers on drugs and flat screen TVs' argument is a bit daft. If you send the family a food parcel, these mean parents could eat the food themselves and waste the money they would have spent on it on whatever else instead. Neither guarantees the children would be fed.
But surely wasting lord alone knows how much getting private companies to send these food packages is just about the *least* financially efficient way of doing it?

I'd just add that the 'parents will spend children's food vouchers on drugs and flat screen TVs' argument is a bit daft. If you send the family a food parcel, these mean parents could eat the food themselves and waste the money they would have spent on it on whatever else instead. Neither guarantees the children would be fed.
It’s a fair point - they can eat the food as much as they can spend the money on other things.

You’ve convinced me. Give them f**k all.

It’s a fair point - they can eat the food as much as they can spend the money on other things.

You’ve convinced me. Give them f**k all.
Not much point distributing vouchers either as I wouldn’t put it past some of these parents to use them to toot gear while they’re sat in front of their 50 inch TVs.

What would you consider to be a non-essential item or luxury that people choose to spend money on over feeding their kids?

Not a loaded question - I am genuinely interested. Mainly because I’ve seen a lot of nonsense from people saying things like, “I bet they have the Internet though” as though the Internet isn’t an essential utility in 2021. Also their kids need it to stand any chance of learning right now, as well as some sort of laptop or computer that those same people also think is some sort of P**s take for them to have. I’ve also seen people saying, “Huh, got mobile phones to take pictures on before posting them online though haven’t they?!” Probably the same people who don’t realise that having a landline phone costs more in rental charges in a year than a cheap handset and a few top ups, which in year two becomes even cheaper still as the handset is a one off purchase while the landline charges never end.

I’m just genuinely unsure as to what people think is going on and what they think people have that they shouldn’t, or what it is that they should be giving up. I grew up very poor (especially until the age of about 10) just as it seems you did, so it’s something I take an interest in. While we don’t always agree I like to think that you might be able to provide me with some genuine insight into things that parents are spaffing their kids’ food money on that aren’t the things I’ve already mentioned above. I am fully aware that some parents are more responsible than others and don’t doubt for a second that there are some out there who simply fail their children through bad choices, but I would like to try to understand more about what those choices are.

When I worked for a Council in social services finance, I took right umbrage with a Social worker who was moaning about Asylum seekers having mobile phones. She didn't like it when challenged and I pointed out that they'll be PAYG and it is the only way they could get contacted to get work to supplement the meagre amount they received to feed/support themselves while living in generally substandard accommodation. The mobile phone argument was crap then and still is now. Agree with the rest as well.

Back
Top Bottom