National News End Child Food Poverty

As Ben B posted this morning.......

"To the fine upstanding citizen who has vandalised my office this weekend, scrawling abuse on my windows:
1) a bit rich of anyone to complain about my actions whilst simultaneously committing criminal damage.
2) your actions only serve to add additional cost and waste for the taxpayer
3) whatever you think of me, it's inevitably my staff who find and have to deal with this. They deserve to feel safe at work and not be the subject of abuse. Their whole purpose is to help people, they do not deserve this.
Whatever some may want to believe, nobody goes in to politics wanting to do harm. We do it because we believe in something or want to change something. That's why I campaign relentlessly in support of working class kids and improving their life chances.
Nobody has voted not to help kids this week. Nobody has reduced or cut support for kids through this pandemic. If you want FACTS - they are quite important - we've increased Universal Credit, extended eligibility for FSM and provided them over the summer, increased school budgets, given £63m to Councils to identify and target families who are in need, and handed out grants to thousands of charities to help in the same way.
I appreciate that communication of those facts has been poor this week, but that does not make them any less true. I freely admit that I've personally said something stupid this week, it was an error and I've removed and explained it. It doesn't actually make me evil.
Sending threatening message to my wife online and targeting my staff is totally unacceptable, regardless of what you may think I've done. The Police have been informed."

So if UC has been increased, eligibility for FSM extended and £63 million gone to Councils .......why are the local councils not filling the gap of holiday food if central Government has provided the money?
PS: Our half term has finished.
Izzi Seccombe, the Conservative leader of Warwickshire county council, said her share of the £63m fund had already been spent, and that provision for free lunches over half-term and Christmas was being funded by the council.

New game. Which Tory is lying?

Izzi Seccombe, the Conservative leader of Warwickshire county council, said her share of the £63m fund had already been spent, and that provision for free lunches over half-term and Christmas was being funded by the council.

New game. Which Tory is lying?

Maybe in Warwickshire it has.
I`ll take a wild guess that each council has a widely varying demand for FSM.

Locally an Asda store has banned teenage kids from the local school because of their behaviour whilst shopping in the mornings for their lunches.
Again - where are the parents?
Oh yes..... whining about their kids "being discriminated against" on the local Spotted page.

Maybe in Warwickshire it has.
I`ll take a wild guess that each council has a widely varying demand for FSM.

Locally an Asda store has banned teenage kids from the local school because of their behaviour whilst shopping in the mornings for their lunches.
Again - where are the parents?
Oh yes..... whining about their kids "being discriminated against" on the local Spotted page.
Yes but which Tory was lying?

Yes but which Tory was lying?
Neither......
One says local councils got £60-63 million or so from central government. True.
Other one says their council has "run out" of that allocation. True.

They can both be telling the truth from their perspective.

Even you can understand that I`m sure...

I suppose it could be possible.

Sounds unlikely.

Almost like asking football fans "How did XX play?" ..... even if they watched the same player in the same game..... opinions and unconscious bias often blur the reality.

Well done, admitting it is the first step to recovery ?

I know I have unconscious bias as well as life experience. :)

I see my unconscious bias as a "gut feeling" that is right more times than it is wrong so that does me fine and has been enhanced over many decades.

Apart from at work...... where you have to put the work head on and not tell people they are worthless shysters playing the system.

Time and a place for everything....

Just a question when it’s talked about Marcus Rashfords hard childhood could someone please tell me the age range when his family struggled to feed him.

Neither......
One says local councils got £60-63 million or so from central government. True.
Other one says their council has "run out" of that allocation. True.

They can both be telling the truth from their perspective.

Even you can understand that I`m sure...
Good try but wrong. Ben Bradley was.

Why are children hungry?

As a matter of *deliberate policy*, government has cut financial support for poor families with more than 2 children by at least £53.50 per week.

Just a question when it’s talked about Marcus Rashfords hard childhood could someone please tell me the age range when his family struggled to feed him.
this article suggests that it was until he was 11 years old
he earned a place in Manchester United's youth academy aged 11, even though the programme being for players aged 12 and above.

His Mum contacted the club and asked if he could join early, knowing it came with catered accommodation and a new school.

this article suggests that it was until he was 11 years old
he earned a place in Manchester United's youth academy aged 11, even though the programme being for players aged 12 and above.

His Mum contacted the club and asked if he could join early, knowing it came with catered accommodation and a new school.
I don't think that was the expected reply. I think someone was supposed to say Rashford and his family were never in poverty and never hungry. In fact, no child in this country ever has been. Some children might occasionally feel a bit peckish, but the notion of any child living in food poverty is ludicrous. Rashford's the sort of liberal fantasist who probably thinks black lives matter as well.

I don't think that was the expected reply. I think someone was supposed to say Rashford and his family were never in poverty and never hungry. In fact, no child in this country ever has been. Some children might occasionally feel a bit peckish, but the notion of any child living in food poverty is ludicrous. Rashford's the sort of liberal fantasist who probably thinks black lives matter as well.
No exactly as I expected actually.I have put somewhere else in this thread that no child should go hungry and how I would fund it. Also I will point out that the Conservative party are getting a bad press over this but the first 13 years of Rashfords life were spent under a Labour government.
Until people stop arguing and going on about what lives matter the argument will just go around in circles. All lives matter and it is about RESPECT for all. In every different country there is a different minority who suffer the same issues regardless of country.

Last edited:
No exactly as I expected actually.I have put somewhere else in this thread that no child should go hungry and how I would fund it. Also I will point out that the Conservative party are getting a bad press over this but the first 13 years of Rashfords life were spent under a Labour government.
Until people stop arguing and going on about what lives matter the argument will just go around in circles. All lives matter and it is about RESPECT for all. In every different country there is a different minority who suffer the same issues regardless of country.

But the Tories are evil slashing benefits and Labour will fix everything..................................... :)

As has been said this is a far more complex issue that needs more than FSM to fix it.
The current government have increased the ability of parents to both work and receive benefits to fit around their children.
UC has increased by £20 a week since April.
£63 million went to councils and it is very likely more will be spent on that route.
Local councils, social services, charities and food banks will all have a better idea of local need and local solutions.

The point is Rashford got free school meals under a labour government.

As he came from a family of 5 Universal credit would now be stopped after two kids

Fortunately he was well cared for to be able to play for England and to be a credit to his mum and his educators and his country.

• React
Reactions: QR
Back
Top Bottom