National News End Child Food Poverty

But the Tories are evil slashing benefits and Labour will fix everything..................................... :)

As has been said this is a far more complex issue that needs more than FSM to fix it.
The current government have increased the ability of parents to both work and receive benefits to fit around their children.
UC has increased by £20 a week since April.
£63 million went to councils and it is very likely more will be spent on that route.
Local councils, social services, charities and food banks will all have a better idea of local need and local solutions.
it's increased since April DURING A PANDEMIC after being cut by at least 53 pounds a week for those with more than 2 children.

What irks the "liberal left" is the silent majority, those of us who sit there being poked, belittled and abused for long periods of time.

We rarely sign petitions, rarely "share" stuff on social media etc etc.

We save our ire until it matters.

We then put a little cross on a piece of paper, sit back and laugh.

And we are a global force.

If Local councils are the best way of understaning local needs and local solutions WHY HAS THE CONSERVATIVE GOVERNMENT SLASHED FUNDING TO THEM FOR THE LAST TEN YEARS?

it's increased since April DURING A PANDEMIC after being cut by at least 53 pounds a week for those with more than 2 children.

Its been increased.
Isn`t that what you wanted?
Increased, so parents can feed their kids............
Having more than two is a matter of personal choice.

If Local councils are the best way of understaning local needs and local solutions WHY HAS THE CONSERVATIVE GOVERNMENT SLASHED FUNDING TO THEM FOR THE LAST TEN YEARS?

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Blood pressure......

They still have plenty of money to spend, they just have to work to source it and justify why they need it.

What irks the "liberal left" is the silent majority, those of us who sit there being poked, belittled and abused for long periods of time.

Hahahahaha

In the US you get elected despite having a minority of the popular vote, and your leader is a corrupt clown with the morals of a polecat.

You do the same in the UK too, come to that....

Yes, but see the migrants thread. Can't you understand that anyone showing tolerance, a lack of prejudice and a willingness to respect others is 'soft' or 'weak'? 'We' need to man up and look after our own, whoever they are.

Liberal is "Ah well, they have come a long way...let them in..."

Realistic is "we have a process - follow it".

Life can be simple... :)

No, Liberal is 'let's process them through the system', whereas national jingoist is 'They are here to sponge, let's ship them straight back as quickly as possible', followed by dabbing up the froth and foam from their keyboards.

Easy to generalise isn't it...

Or liberal as in 'treat people fairly' and realistic as in 'we've treated them fairly but decided they need to be repatriated'. Life's not simple, but the English language is wonderful and full of nuance. It's not all 'either / or'.

Yes, but see the migrants thread. Can't you understand that anyone showing tolerance, a lack of prejudice and a willingness to respect others is 'soft' or 'weak'? 'We' need to man up and look after our own, whoever they are.
Damn, sorry. I will be sure to 'man up' a bit.

what if a the process is wrong?
Would you follow the process that the Nazis put in place to round up and slaughter Jews.

It does amuse me when people use the term 'liberal' as an insult. What does it mean?...

View attachment 4870
I think the difficulty arises because some people are "definition 1" liberals and others are "definition 2" liberals. Definition 1 to me reads as though it applies to libertarians, economically conservative but socially liberal types. Free speech advocates etc.

Definition 2 seems to apply more closely to the "social philosophy" types - BLM, Antifa who are economically liberal but socially conservative. Anti free speech etc.

Until those two types of "liberal" are drawn away from eachother there are always going to be some confusions about what it means to be "liberal".

Anyway, that's enough of my old Politics A-Level.

what if a the process is wrong?
Would you follow the process that the Nazis put in place to round up and slaughter Jews.

As far as I am aware the only people slaughtering migrants are the people traffickers cramming them into the boats in the Med.

Our process is fair & just but people avoiding it in whole or part will not receive the protection they deserve.

bizarre that you select the wrong point in the response to reply to. The process doesn’t work because it had been massively underfunded for the last ten years ( and I know you’ll point out some Tory double counting response to “prove me wrong”). The example I really hope you come back on is legal aid.....

I completely agree with you. I understand this is how it works. This is why the biggest mistake anybody made pre-Brexit was to be snobby and call people stupid rather than try to engage with them on anything approaching a respectful level, because it radicalised them. I told many of the people I worked with at the time (London bubble and all that) that they were the main problem. I was in Lille with a few of them from the day before until 2/3 days after the referendum, for the Euros, and vividly remember sitting in the main square listening to them moaning like idiots while telling them in no uncertain terms that their attitude and the way they conducted themselves was a big part of what went wrong. It’s no secret where I stand but if you’re respectful I will return the favour. I can have a civilised conversation with virtually anybody if they’re willing to drop the insults - throw a jab and I’ll happily throw one back. I’ll be angry and ratty at what’s going on, and towards the people who run things, but I try not to get into fisticuffs with Joe Bloggs unless they decide to whack me in the plumbs. Ultimately, why would anybody want to be on ‘your team’ if you treat them with disdain and spit on them from the off? Some people can’t and won’t be ‘changed’, but you guarantee they won’t be if you go charging in with a right hook as a first course of action. So-called populists know that - they thrive in frying pans. They’re people who endlessly campaign even when they get in, because they don’t have the ability to actually govern. They need the bitterness to keep people split into teams, because otherwise it doesn’t work. Angry people get them what they want without them having to give them anything of substance in return, besides a feeling of ‘winning’ and ‘beating people’. It’s so simple, yet so effective. For now. These things come in waves, and it doesn’t tend to last long because the angry people who burn things down generally don’t have any idea of how to build anything back up again. It’s like a riot that runs its course and then disperses - there are many more days in history without riots than there are those with them.

I’m disappointed that you say you find it funny to see other people upset, and that you laugh at their distress, but only because you couldn’t feel that way unless you’d had a hell of a time of it at one point or another. Not being remotely condescending in saying that - I don’t enjoy the thought of anybody having such a tough time at any point in their life that it makes them feel that other people being upset is somehow soothing or enjoyable. I haven’t had what I would call a particularly enjoyable life in many ways, certainly in years gone by, but my approach is that I know what it’s like to feel like you’ve been left without a single card in your hand, and so I don’t want anyone else to feel that way. Doesn’t make me right or ‘better’ for it, though, just different. Maybe if more understood that we wouldn’t all be so angry at each other. We would probably have a much better world for it.

Feel free to pop round for a doob some time. Feel free to bring the doob with you, too.

I've no idea

What he wrote was
"Excellent to see the public rallying behind "their own" without the need for a BBC 1 charity appeal evening, hosted by Lenny Henry."

the sentence works perfectly well without the last 4 words. I wondered why he chose to add it. he could have said. "'actually it's not about Lenny Henry" or "I can't stand the bloke". Just the way you think Agyei should play up front...

Anyway let's not get distracted by why bashamwonderland introduced Lenny Henry into the conversation, and get back to why it's important for children to go hungry
I normally stay out of these threads but what a load of nonsense YT, I associate Lenny Henry with hosting Comic Relief as he was the key founder of the organisation and has been the main presenter of the evenings since year dot. Kudos to him for all his hard work achieving this. To read anything else into this is just looking for reasons to be offended.

Because this governments ministers want to pass the buck in any direction. Throughout this pandemic has any government minister accepted they have made any mistakes. It is never their fault, so if they cannot see a solution they pass the buck to somebody else so they can then blame them it it all goes tits up

Cronies first, blame others, never apologise.

If the current gov were looking for a 3 part slogan (their favoured method of communication), I think I've pretty much nailed it :cool:

That'll be £7 million please.

Back
Top Bottom