National News Election - Winter of Content?

Who will you vote for in the December 2019 GE?

• Tory

Votes: 13 22.4%
  • Tory (Tactical)

Votes: 3 5.2%
  • Labour

Votes: 8 13.8%
  • Labour (Tactical)

• LibDem

Votes: 17 29.3%
  • LibDem (Tactical)

Votes: 5 8.6%
  • Brexit Party

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • Brexit Party (Tactical)

Votes: 4 6.9%
  • Other (Independent etc)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Sharing this (below) which is doing the rounds on social media following Grenfell tower disaster chief Fire officers impending retirement ( and the fire officers being 'blamed' by some for the Grenfell disaster!!!) .....

JUST REMEMBER WHEN YOU VOTE.
In 2013 Boris Johnson was the Mayor of London he was responsible for closing 10 London fire stations, axeing 14 fire engines and removing 550 firefighter jobs including vital fire safety inspectors. His response to being accused by members of the London Fire and Emergency Planning Authority of lying over the consequences of the cuts was “oh get stuffed”. On the 14th June 2017 a fire engulfed Grenfell Tower and 72 people died, and now the Tories are blaming the fire fighters!
You might want to look into who thought it would be a good idea to cover blocks of flats in cladding and at the same time removed the need for the fire brigade to complete an annual fire inspection of the same buildings. Just saying.

You might want to look into who thought it would be a good idea to cover blocks of flats in cladding and at the same time removed the need for the fire brigade to complete an annual fire inspection of the same buildings. Just saying.
ah yes thatll be the Kensigton and Chelsea borough tory council ;)

Sharing this (below) which is doing the rounds on social media following Grenfell tower disaster chief Fire officers impending retirement ( and the fire officers being 'blamed' by some for the Grenfell disaster!!!) .....

JUST REMEMBER WHEN YOU VOTE.
In 2013 Boris Johnson was the Mayor of London he was responsible for closing 10 London fire stations, axeing 14 fire engines and removing 550 firefighter jobs including vital fire safety inspectors. His response to being accused by members of the London Fire and Emergency Planning Authority of lying over the consequences of the cuts was “oh get stuffed”. On the 14th June 2017 a fire engulfed Grenfell Tower and 72 people died, and now the Tories are blaming the fire fighters!
Having searched, I cannot find anything that corroborates this in the inquiry.
The second part of the inquiry is yet to be finished and will, no doubt, apportion blame for the fire on the cladding used. The fire service had no experience or relative training to deal with this scenario. That is a failing but, not evidence that the Tories are to blame.

However, no doubt some will wish to use this as a political whip, unfairly and very cynical in motive.

Having searched, I cannot find anything that corroborates this in the inquiry.
The second part of the inquiry is yet to be finished and will, no doubt, apportion blame for the fire on the cladding used. The fire service had no experience or relative training to deal with this scenario. That is a failing but, not evidence that the Tories are to blame.

However, no doubt some will wish to use this as a political whip, unfairly and very cynical in motive.

I may well be wrong, and maths isnt my strong point, but Id think a series of cuts imposed on the London fire service, by the then London Mayor, now minority government PM, must add up to being contributory factors, including the removal of fire safety officers? Yet it appears the blame is being apportioned to the fire service.... by the Tory press

Info already 'out there' re cheaper cladding used at the insistance of the Kensington & Chelsea Borough (Tory) council

Last edited:
  • React
Reactions: m
With a little bit of help from a tory with a red tie....
Blimey! , Is Blair standing in the forthcoming election now i thought he was swerving his responsibililities of involvement in war crimes? :oops:....the former mayor of london is however, as PM, bidding to increase his minority governments seats in the forthcoming election

Blimey! , Is Blair standing in the forthcoming election now i thought he was swerving his responsibililities of involvement in war crimes? :oops:....the former mayor of london is however, as PM, bidding to increase his minority governments seats in the forthcoming election
I wonder who would be more unpopular, Blair or Corbyn? I think Blair is made of teflon so should be okay. Much as i think Boris is a f*****g idiot I think there are many others in front of him in the queue of blame for Grenfell, its a long queue though.

Snapshot at 13.00 on Wednesday 30th. Forum poll; Tories (both sub-groups together) 31%, Labour 16%, LibDems 41%. External polling suggests Tories to win a 58 seat majority though.

As far as I'm aware, the polling so far has been pretty 'dumb' - in other words, it's just sampled a nationwide audience, and applied those numbers broadly to every seat to generate a picture.

In reality, this is going to be an election decided by some very, very unusual regional forces.

There's going to be the battle in Leave areas that have traditionally voted Labour, mostly in the North and the midlands, but who are now fed up with the failure to deliver Brexit and may be willing to shift to the Tories (or perhaps Nige and the Brexit Party) to ensure that we leave in January (Workington, as described above, is a prime example).

Then there's going to be battle in Remain areas that have traditionally voted Conservative, mostly in and around London and the South East, but who are worried about the impact that BoJo's hard Brexit is going to have on their lives, and may be willing to shift to the Lib Dems (probably not Labour, because they're terrified of Corbyn) in the hop that we won't leave in January (my own constituency, Westminster, is probably the poster child here).

We're only going to get a firm prediction on how this election is going to go when polling is being done on a narrow, regional basis.

I may well be wrong, and maths isnt my strong point, but Id think a series of cuts imposed on the London fire service, by the then London Mayor, now minority government PM, must add up to being contributory factors, including the removal of fire safety officers? Yet it appears the blame is being apportioned to the fire service.... by the Tory press

Info already 'out there' re cheaper cladding used at the insistance of the Kensington & Chelsea Borough (Tory) council

"Minority" for the moment. Enjoy it while you can.

Snapshot at 13.00 on Wednesday 30th. Forum poll; Tories (both sub-groups together) 31%, Labour 16%, LibDems 41%. External polling suggests Tories to win a 58 seat majority though.

Great if that happened - we’ve had Tory and Labour governments, lets give the Liberals a go. We could all do with being a bit nicer to eachother

The problem with this election is that it is going to be a de facto referendum on Brexit, but with even LESS clarity than there was first time around!

If you vote for the Tories, are you voting for the deal Johnson has 'negotiated' or for the no-deal he seems to want? If you want a no-deal should you be voting for the Brexit party? If you think the country needs a change from the Eton old boy network, should you be voting for Labour - even if they are themselves an absolute mess with a leader with as much get up and go as last months left-overs? If you vote for Labour - are they pro or anti Brexit? Or do you think the whole Brexit thing was a stupid mistake, vote for the LibDems/Greens and hope that enough other people do the same in this first past the post partial democracy to make that a meaningful rather than wasted vote? Or do you just hide until the whole sorry mess has gone away?

And which party actually wants to be in charge during this complete clusterf**k and it's following effects?

Personally I'll be voting for Plaid Cymru - I just hope they put up a condidate in leafy North Bedfordshire!
Absolutely this.
First past the post is always a flawed system in terms of reflecting changes in mood in seats where one party has a strong safe majority, but has it's benefits ('m told) and to an extent probably balances out, but to use it as a system in what is, in effect, Referendum II, is completely non-sensical from a neutral point of view.
Without crunching numbers, my instinct is that it will benefit Leave more than Remain - for remain to prevail in any second referendum would require something like a 2% swing, yet in many, many constituencies, 2%, 3%, 5% even 10% away from the Tories would not actually deprive them of the seat, so they can use it as a mandate to continue even if the actual individual voting may have shown otherwise.

And what of the outcome:
A Tory majority will presumably mean Brexit happens, but still no certainty about deal/no deal.
A Tory + Brexit majority, the same but more likely no deal I suppose
A Labour majority is anyone's guess, but I suppose will involve a third attempt at a deal, using all kinds of new criteria before ending up more or less where the other two have, then maybe a second public vote Deal vrs Remain or, or, well who knows what he is thinking.
A LibDem majority will mean Remain, but is also not going to happen, not least due to the FPTP system, even if masses of people flock to them to register their preference to Remain.
A 'Remain' coalition (LibDems, SNP, Green, and whoever) the same, but still not likely to happen.
But are any of these actually likely - or is it just going to be an even more fragmented make-up, with no-one close to a majority - and then the prospect of going through the whole thing again..?

My solution - Let's just scrap the whole sh#tshow and put the Queen back in charge!

Great if that happened - we’ve had Tory and Labour governments, lets give the Liberals a go. We could all do with being a bit nicer to eachother
I agree with the sentiment of being nicer to each other but how can you vote for a party that would cancel a democratic vote by the country to leave, they are simply using brexit as an opportunistic way of winning some extra seats probably at Labour's expense, personally I would love to see them fall flat on their faces particularly the smug ex tory and labour converts, this election is hard to call with all parties making a pigs ear of brexit, the one hope I have is that one party manages to get an overall majority otherwise we are back at square one.

I believe a bill introduced in 2005 by the Blair (Labour) government stripped the fire brigade of responsibility from inspecting this type of building.

I agree with the sentiment of being nicer to each other but how can you vote for a party that would cancel a democratic vote by the country to leave, they are simply using brexit as an opportunistic way of winning some extra seats probably at Labour's expense, personally I would love to see them fall flat on their faces particularly the smug ex tory and labour converts, this election is hard to call with all parties making a pigs ear of brexit, the one hope I have is that one party manages to get an overall majority otherwise we are back at square one.
Because, apparently, this GE is in effect a new referendum, so voting for the Libs knowing they will remain is entirely democratic.

A second referendum (one issue vote) would have been preferable.

Because, apparently, this GE is in effect a new referendum, so voting for the Libs knowing they will remain is entirely democratic.

A second referendum (one issue vote) would have been preferable.
But what will that vote be? I've seen zero detail about a realistic vote that isn't just tilted to Remain, thus not being a fair vote. Even arch Remainers like the Lib Dems can't provide a consistent view can they?

And regardless, whatever happens, this parliament has shown a spectacular inability to do anything. Read Mims Davies leaving statement and you'll get a feel about what the Brexit inertia is doing to good parliamentarians.

As for Fire Brigade funding, perhaps there should be scrutiny on London Brigade's capabilities. Are the equipped to fight tower fires or reliant on other areas to help out? It's a complex issue but blanket blames or not aren't really the appropriate way to go.

But what will that vote be? I've seen zero detail about a realistic vote that isn't just tilted to Remain, thus not being a fair vote. Even arch Remainers like the Lib Dems can't provide a consistent view can they?

And regardless, whatever happens, this parliament has shown a spectacular inability to do anything. Read Mims Davies leaving statement and you'll get a feel about what the Brexit inertia is doing to good parliamentarians.
Posted a few times before what a fair question would be.

Back
Top Bottom