El Chapo

Gary Baldi

As I'm sure Navegante ;) can attest, El Chapo is a rather awful and malicious human being that has gladly has found some proper justice with the recent court case. The scale of his power is still massive with all the alleged bribe attempts but I hope he goes to a lovely place in Colorado where he won't be able to dig his way out or do much for the rest of his life other than stare at 4 walls.

I did see some sneaky person suggest that it would be appropriate to use 10 billion in cash and assets that the US have frozen as part of his court case to pay for "the wall", but I'd suggest that's not the wisest thing to do. Drug rehab would be more appropriate

Sadly though, it hasn't got near stopping the Mexican drug problem.

Considering some of the war crimes committed by the various cartels it’s hard to argue against the harshest possible sentences against them when they are up in court, but it won’t do much to stop the carnage in Mexico, to much money to be made exporting illegal drugs, people etc over that huge border, plenty of Guzman’s still out there.

Agree. The scale of the drug trade in Mexico is truly mind blowing - allegedly kept HSBC fluid in the last banking crash where other banks struggled because of the amount of money they took in - and the depth it goes in day to day life, is staggering. Makes Escobar look like a kid building sandcastles in comparison.

When will the US finally get their hands on the next Chapo? Not soon enough in my eyes.

Agree. The scale of the drug trade in Mexico is truly mind blowing - allegedly kept HSBC fluid in the last banking crash where other banks struggled because of the amount of money they took in - and the depth it goes in day to day life, is staggering. Makes Escobar look like a kid building sandcastles in comparison.

When will the US finally get their hands on the next Chapo? Not soon enough in my eyes.

If you have Netflix there's a series called Dirty Money - one of the episodes discusses the HSBC Mexico link. Really interesting stuff.

If you have Netflix there's a series called Dirty Money - one of the episodes discusses the HSBC Mexico link. Really interesting stuff.
It's on my list stuff to watch but I only recently watched Narcos Mexico, so trying not to disappear down that rabbit hole too soon.

On the border and in states where the cartels are deeply embedded such as Sinaloa taking down one man will do nothing, they are both big money industry and deeply embedded into government, police etc. It’s hard to stop something which is part of the fabric of a country, coupled with the US having a huge demand for the narcotics etc that are smuggled over, so hardly innocent in it all, it’s hard to see an end to it.

On a simplistic level, anything that makes getting drugs into the US harder (such as a wall) will help them disrupt the supply chain - but I'm not naive to think it will just fix it.

On a simplistic level, anything that makes getting drugs into the US harder (such as a wall) will help them disrupt the supply chain - but I'm not naive to think it will just fix it.

They'll just dig tunnels under the wall like they do already on existing fencing.

Back
Top Bottom