EFL - The Covid-19 decision

From an integrity angle I would hope that the clubs have got it within their abilities to voice their individual preference. If all 23 clubs in League 1 released a statement of intent it would, at the very least, give a fair indication of what each wants. Forget the list of options, just let each club say what they individually want to happen.
6 clubs have stated that they wish to play. Others have stated they do not wish to play (irrespective of why they don't wish to play!) If the rest can make a statement then a "vote" of sorts will have taken place.
The problem with that is that some clubs have stated that they would go along with the majority but no clear majority has emerged.

As I see it they have to start making decisions and quick. The championship want to play , league 1 has at least 7 who definitely want to play and at least 2 others saying it needs to be finished for the integrity of final standings. League 2 has a large majority in favour of finishing now and having play offs only. I suspect Stevenage would vote to play now to avoid relegation they thought they would avoid.All of a sudden the Swindon issue has arisen meaning if only 1 or 2 more clubs want to carry on then you have a majority on favour across the 3 divisions. As I said at the start things need sorting and quickly.

The EFL need all 3 leagues to have promotion and relegation otherwise it gives the Premiership a get out of jail free card and they will void relegation and hence promotion from the championship.

Remember the EFL advises but the clubs make the decision.

We also have to accept that OUFC are in the let’s play and bankrupt a few more clubs while we’re at it group rather than accept the EFL play off scenario.

There is a fine balance in votes between teams who can’t afford this madness and the dreary bunch who want to play for the glimmer of promotion or survival it affords them. If you haven’t already, I really recommend listening to the radio 5 interview with the chair of Burton to appreciate the Armageddon that playing the season represents.

I don’t understand why as at present we are in that boat considering the fact we are guaranteed a play off place and have the best squad for that if Woodburn, Browne and Holland return.

The EFL need all 3 leagues to have promotion and relegation otherwise it gives the Premiership a get out of jail free card and they will void relegation and hence promotion from the championship.

Remember the EFL advises but the clubs make the decision.

We also have to accept that OUFC are in the let’s play and bankrupt a few more clubs while we’re at it group rather than accept the EFL play off scenario.

There is a fine balance in votes between teams who can’t afford this madness and the dreary bunch who want to play for the glimmer of promotion or survival it affords them. If you haven’t already, I really recommend listening to the radio 5 interview with the chair of Burton to appreciate the Armageddon that playing the season represents.

I don’t understand why as at present we are in that boat considering the fact we are guaranteed a play off place and have the best squad for that if Woodburn, Browne and Holland return.
Agreed, as you say it is those clubs trying anything to move up into a playoff space that are driving the need to play on, whereas while we could possibly get up into the top two, we could just as easily drop off out of the playoffs, so I would suggest that we could move this all on a pace by declaring for the stop it now (with playoffs) option, which Fleetwood might copy for the same reasons. That then tips the balance sufficiently far within L1 that even the EFL cannot fail (!) to make the decision...

So Liverpool v Everton to be played at neautral ground in Manchester hahahahaahahaha fuc*ing clueless authorities
Just looking at BBC report, no mention of it being played in Manchester....

Either use St Georges for these games, or proper neutral ones like Villa Park.

BTW - why is Man City v Newcastle on the list?

BTW -

Probably because the EPL are hoping Newcastle’s takeover goes ahead with Newcastle boasting they’re going to but the creme de la creme Of players, BTW that could be the death of football as it’s known.

At The Etihad has been pencilled in.....and incredibly they have proposed that Liverpool have no Home Games until the Title is Won and then let them return there...Both Liverpool and Everton have requested the game is played on Merseyside.
Also Police are involved with the North London Derby and want it away from London

So it's not about the desperation to get a ball kicked after all then !!!!

Play it on the Isle of Wight and close the ferries for the day. :)

So the vote might happen on Monday June 8th (or it might be even later than that!). This is very frustrating and difficult to understand. We have known the options for sometime now. Surely this delay and indecision is putting more financial stress on the clubs
Yep.
And unfortunately, just like we've had morons in charge of the country, making the coronavirus decisions, dragging their heels, and then getting it completely wrong, we've also got morons in charge of the football decisions that need to be made, and they're dragging their heels as well, and seeing as they always cock up every other decision they make, I don't see a sensible solution being found, it'll probably be similar to the governments decision making regarding the coronavirus, illogical, irresponsible and confusing .

The options available as I see it are pretty limited and straight forward really, and they simply need to make a decision, and they cant even do that, and while they continue dragging their heels, times running out for some of the options to even be viable, yet they still kick the can down the road.

One things for sure, this is all getting very boring, and doing my f*****g head in. Sort it ya planks!

The two big levers on everyone are (1) financial implications and (2) legal action (mainly their financial implications).

The person that monetised legal action on economic matters was an evil genius. Anyone know who it was?

Just imagine the debate there will be about next season starting & the mechanics of same, both practical & financial.

Would it be possible for the EFL to set up a live stream channel for all the EFL games on a pay to view basis.
The EFL could cover the costs though advertising, whist the viewers money goes straight to the club, essentially reimbursing the club for the lost revenue when they play in front of an empty stadium.
The cost would be normal match day ticket price minus the costs of Stewards, Police etc. Season ticket holders are sent a code so they can view home matches for free.
This would let the clubs complete the season whilst still gaining the required income.
Also if the games were staggered, I know I would pay to watch a game that has a large impact on our league standings, adding further untapped revenue to other EFL clubs.

I don’t really understand an article today said that as many as 15 clubs want to end the season. That sounds like a clear majority.

Back
Top Bottom