EFL - The Covid-19 decision

I haven't done my workings out yet, but my gut feeling is that this would miraculously save Tranmere from relegation!
It also gives teams close to the play-offs a place in them - no vote buying there then!

It isn't completely daft, only relegate those teams who have dropped way behind the rest (Southend, Bolton) but not those still right in the battle (Tranmere, Charlton).

Meanwhile...up North.............. more fudgling about...

I feel we could also see some changes to the leagues in England. Clubs that are suffering financially are speaking to the FA to see in the current climate whether there will be penalities, such as those Bury and others face. If, as I feel, dispensation will be made, clubs will start to declare bankruptcy.

One thing nobody seems to be discussing is the automatics. However the table is worked out, whatever method they choose why would any team go up automatically this season? Just because it‘s normally done that way... things ain’t normal!
Who’s to say the team at the top wouldn’t implode and go on a stinking run? If there is a playoff I think the top teams should be involved too. Wouldn’t add that many more games and would at least give earning promotion some sense of achievement.

One thing nobody seems to be discussing is the automatics. However the table is worked out, whatever method they choose why would any team go up automatically this season? Just because it‘s normally done that way... things ain’t normal!
Who’s to say the team at the top wouldn’t implode and go on a stinking run? If there is a playoff I think the top teams should be involved too. Wouldn’t add that many more games and would at least give earning promotion some sense of achievement.
Absolutely correct. How could High Wycombe go up? They started the season off reasonably (sneaking points here and there :mad:) well BUT have imploded and have been on an awful run. Whatever is decided I don't think that all of the teams will be happy. It just needs to be sorted out as fairly as possible.

If you start to include teams in automatics into a play off situation then you have to do the same with teams around the relegation zones and before you know it you need to finish the season.

Absolutely correct. How could High Wycombe go up? They started the season off reasonably (sneaking points here and there :mad:) well BUT have imploded and have been on an awful run. Whatever is decided I don't think that all of the teams will be happy. It just needs to be sorted out as fairly as possible.
If Wycombe are rumoured automatically then that would show how good the FA/EFL are......which at the moment is very poor. If there are any problems and they decide on promotion and relegation but no play offs then it should only be those in the automatics which would give a reprieve for those clubs in the last relegation places.

Last edited:
If Wycombe are rumoured automatically them that would show how good the FA/EFL are......which at the moment is very poor. If there are any problems and they decide on promotion and relegation but no play offs then it should only be those in the automatics which would give a reprieve for those clubs in the last relegation places.

tend to agree with Bazzer that at the start of the season only 2 go up automatically and that should remain the case even if we were the beneficiary. If there can be play offs then great, if there cannot be then IMO the 3rd promotion place should not happen. Just needs to be consistent across the EFL divisions

if it benefits your team it's a great idea...if it could benefit your team then it's not a bad idea...anything else then it's a load of Bollox... i think that just about sums it up

at the start of the season only 2 go up automatically and that should remain the case
I think you'll find that only 2 go up after 46 (usually) games have been completed, not after 38 or whatever. Neither Coventry or Rotherham have done enough for promotion yet.

The more I think about it, the more I come to the conclusion that you end the season, give Coventry the title, but promote or relegate nobody. Start the new season again as we are, except promote Crewe to replace Bury (given Swindon's rule breaking), and Barrow up from the conference. Then work out what to do about Bolton.

We need an effing decision to make an effing decision about the effing decision, that will lead to a date when they can discuss the effing decision about the effing decision......it’s doing my effing head all these effing decisions.

Think I have the gist of how you feel Bazzer........

The problem is as i've been saying all through this is The Powers that be are/have been desperate for another ball to be kicked without thinking it through.
It has been obvious that there could not be nor should there be another game played this season but football along with other sports have shown themselves up for what they really are. We are just a few days away from June and still they let it drag on, rather than desperately trying to play 9 more games/Play offs where is the focus on Next season there will be no fans so where is the foresight and planning to have conversations with the various streaming outlets to enable their members to have some income.

Playoffs will be played at Wembley in July. If they test and isolate those involved, should be do-able. If the Germans can do it... then again...

Playoffs will be played at Wembley in July. If they test and isolate those involved, should be do-able. If the Germans can do it... then again...
I am not sure. If there is minimal attendance, ie press, and required staff, why hold at a costly, large venue. It will probably be played at a free, or low cost location that can be televised but which is conducive to minimizing exposure to possible transmission.

I am not sure. If there is minimal attendance, ie press, and required staff, why hold at a costly, large venue. It will probably be played at a free, or low cost location that can be televised but which is conducive to minimizing exposure to possible transmission.
I would have thought st George's would be favourite, unless Wembley needs the money

Back
Top Bottom