EFL - The Covid-19 decision

There is absolutely no possibility that anyone will be promoted from 3rd without playoffs. The playoffs are the minimum that we'll see.

As for whether or not Wycombe one their game in hand is largely irrelevant. PPG moves them from 8th to 3rd, weighted PPG moves them from 8th to 6th. Either way, they'd be in the playoffs and either way, I'm sure we'd beat them.
The point I am making is how they habe now changed their voting position and looking at graphs the scenario that is gaining more votes is season end and use PPG no play offs
There is a huge difference between idiots on the beach, and a professional industry returning. Footballers will be tested and isolated before and after games. The exact same process that allows the PL to return will allow the playoffs to be completed as an absolute minimum.

So bold statement it maybe, but one that will prove to be correct.
so if the players are tested and isolated before and after games.....how long for

What about the pitch running on dog,who cuddy claims isn’t his, how will get to the games,this is the question of the day, on the basis I have had enough of the other burning questions

We're creating scenarios that simply won't happen. There are only 4 solutions that will be considered;

Void the season. This is equal in that every team is treated in exactly the same way, but is not fair for those clubs who have succeeded this season, or the players whose efforts have counted for nothing, or the fans who have paid for something that will not exist.

Complete the season in full. This is both fair and equal in that every game will be completed allowing for a true final table. The government have given approval, but the cost of testing will be a barrier for some clubs. Financial support will be needed, and I guess that plans are in place to cover this.

Finish the season now with standard points per game equations used to balance out remaining fixtures. This favours teams like Wycombe over Peterborough but also fails to take into account current form etc. Playoffs would still exist with us playing Portsmouth.

As above but with weighted points per game equations that reflect home and away games. That will also help sone teams over others and also ignores current form etc. We would then have Wycombe in the playoffs.

Of these scenarios, I beginning to favour the second with the season played out in full. It would give us 9 games to prove we are the best, and with games to play against Wycombe, Portsmouth, Coventry and Fleetwood, no one could accuse us of trying to swerve any difficult games. We could balls it up (as is the Oxford way!) and miss out on the playoffs as a result. But we could also grab an automatic place to round off an incredible (but bizarre) season.

However, if we go down either of the ppg routes, we are still guaranteed a playoff place, and we have to believe that we are good enough to beat any of the teams around us and still get promoted.

So whether we have 9 games or 3, we should be focused on getting the team back in for tomorrow, training hard, and being ready to finish this season in style.
I thought that a deadline of 31st July had already been muted ? So the above scenario of completing the season in full is gone, there is no time for it to happen.
Whilst many of us would love to get started tomorrow and finish the season in style. The vote isn't until 8th players are furloughed and will need to be tested prior to a return to training. As mentioned earlier that means June 15th for a start to training and 27th July (6 weeks pre-season) for the earliest date of a game. Playoffs are in the balance at best as some have said 8-10 weeks for pre-season that's well into August.

That’s the spirit!

Does anyone really care now, I’ll just be glad when we can go and watch a game live again whatever league it’s in. Yes, would be great if it’s the Championship, but cannot see it happening. Even if we get promoted there’s a good chance we still be able to watch it live.

There is absolutely no possibility that anyone will be promoted from 3rd without playoffs. The playoffs are the minimum that we'll see.

As for whether or not Wycombe one their game in hand is largely irrelevant. PPG moves them from 8th to 3rd, weighted PPG moves them from 8th to 6th. Either way, they'd be in the playoffs and either way, I'm sure we'd beat them.
I Think this is one of the big debating points between the clubs because it is becoming more and more likely that there will be no playoffs. The EFL proposal suggested unweighted points, however if the playoffs couldn't go ahead it wouldn't necessarily be the team in third that was promoted with the other two ! so who would it be then ?

um i think you'll find that those idiots on the beach etc can have a complete bearing on those precious footballers because you see if the Virus spreads again we are all in s**t street and they'll be no Government handouts and we'll all be confined to months sat in our homes again vegetating and worse...All orf to Harrods and the Car showroom to spend spend spend.....

EFL in decision shock...

Strange how the EFL always say that they don’t make any decisions, it’s all down to the clubs, yet the QPR chief exec says clubs had no idea about the new schedule until right before it was made public. And he isn’t happy:

EFL make an announcement purely to put the pressure on the clubs and deflect from us not having made any decision .............ever.

Ultimate squirrel!!

Strange how the EFL always say that they don’t make any decisions, it’s all down to the clubs, yet the QPR chief exec says clubs had no idea about the new schedule until right before it was made public. And he isn’t happy:

First thing I do when I hear a club isnt happy is look to see where they are in their league table ?

Hope they get this mess sorted fast.. Living next to the Burton ground they don't have long maybe a couple weeks til they go into administration Ben Robinson is piling his own cash into the club to keep it alive and he never had alot to begin with.. He is a good chairman ran the club within its means to keep it afloat. Now with no income and no end in sight for the trouble caused by this virus there is noway they can play matches without crowds with the furlough going to be reduced to 60%. Its a matter of when not if this club ceases to exist. Very serious and very sad and guess this same situation is being repeated for many clubs up and down the country. The Efl and our league needs to get a plan worked out quick or half the clubs are not going to exist. Any decision made now will likely be too late and with no solution for the virus in sight I doubt anything other than government bailout for ailing clubs that were well run before this absolute clusterduck of a virus arrived here..

Regarding end of season for us playoffs fine... Wycombe going up in third without playoffs would be a travesty akin to the hand of God.

Efl make a decision so clubs at least know what mess they need to get out of to survive..

For the sake of other clubs in financial trouble completing season is a no go.

First thing I do when I hear a club isnt happy is look to see where they are in their league table [emoji16]

Same here. Was a bit surprised to see QPR were midtable as the assumption would have been that they were in trouble at the bottom given their statement. Good for them for making their case.

Lots of thought and discussion is going into the 2019/20 season, but there seems to me little thought for the 2020/21 season. The 2020/21 season is unlikely to begin in August. This means that more matches will have to me packed into a shorter time frame, with a threat of more disruption from Covid19 and Covid20. Cup competitions may be scrapped, but some clubs will be unhappy with this for financial reasons...

It's inevitable that some games that would have occurred prior to Covid19 cannot be scheduled in a post Covid19 world.

Lots of thought and discussion is going into the 2019/20 season, but there seems to me little thought for the 2020/21 season. The 2020/21 season is unlikely to begin in August. This means that more matches will have to me packed into a shorter time frame, with a threat of more disruption from Covid19 and Covid20. Cup competitions may be scrapped, but some clubs will be unhappy with this for financial reasons...

It's inevitable that some games that would have occurred prior to Covid19 cannot be scheduled in a post Covid19 world.
True, but it could be that if games are still behind closed doors, they might squeeze more games into a shorter time period once they get the hang of how to organise this.

True, but it could be that if games are still behind closed doors, they might squeeze more games into a shorter time period once they get the hang of how to organise this.

Happened to see a bit of a German game on the box, one team (Dresden?) missed the first 2 games because someone tested positive so they got an extra two week lock down. To say the lack of "match fitness" was obvious was an understatement.

The best proposal for me is telling all clubs that the season is over and to start preparing for season 20/21 which would start as normal in August. Then all clubs will start with this seasons points and positions. Clubs in a good place will obviously have the deserved advantage but it would give the teams at the bottom a chance to turn things round. This would surely remove any risk of legal action taking place from anyone.

Having said that, Mark Palios apparently has an alternative solution that he says most clubs are in favour of.

Only 3 months from the last game being played to come up with ideas in how to finish this season and have a vote on it, if league one clubs do go under the FL and the clubs themselves have to take a lot of the blame, it’s a bad situation but one they have all handled terribly.

I’ve been waiting nearly three months for the clubs and the authorities to ask what the hell happens to next season, and all the revenue that could come from it in various guises, rather than focusing solely on a handful of games left this season being ticked off the list at any and all cost. Happy to keep waiting at this point. I don’t think it’ll end well.

Clubs higher up are having to start confirming loan extensions for players. What about ours? Matty Taylor is on loan from Bristol City, but his contract there runs out on June 30. If we are playing a single fixture in July, what happens to him? He can’t have his loan extended as he has no parent club. Can he sign a short term deal? Do Bristol extend his contract by a month but say they want him back there in case they need the bodies rather than letting him finish off here? A lot of unanswered questions on numerous fronts.

Back
Top Bottom