General EFL Salary Cap Withdrawn

Colin B

Chief Dot Counter
The PFA have won their case at arbitration to have the ridiculous EFL Salary Cap withdrawn with immediate effect.

Good news for OUFC and common sense. Now lets have some sensible control, linked to club income, and have it properly managed.

Reverts (for now) to the SCMP (Salary Cost Management Protocol) which for League One means clubs can spend up to 60% of turnover on player-related expenditure, which excludes players under the age of 21. It's 75% in the year following relegation from the Championship. (50% in League Two)
Equity can be used to support the turnover figure, but has to be injected up front.

The PFA have won their case at arbitration to have the ridiculous EFL Salary Cap withdrawn with immediate effect.

Good news for OUFC and common sense. Now lets have some sensible control, linked to club income, and have it properly managed.
Brilliant news. Well done the PFA.

I can't tell from the BBC article whether that also means the squad limits is scrapped too. It may be explained in more depth in the Athletic article, if someone with a subscription could have a look?

EDIT: Squad limits remain. Not great, and I imagine something the PFA would also take aim at given it effectively limits the number of professional footballers that can possibly play in England, but getting rid of the wage cap was the main one.

Last edited:
Just had a read through on Twitter. Lots seem very unhappy its been scrapped saying it means many clubs will now go out of business. Can clubs not control spending themselves irrespective of a salary cap? Surely if a club has a turnover of £3m a season then spending less than this is common sense! Why there needs to be a strict figure for everyone baffles me. Especially as it was seemingly based on 'what the smallest club can afford' rather than a percentage of turnover.

Just had a read through on Twitter. Lots seem very unhappy its been scrapped saying it means many clubs will now go out of business. Can clubs not control spending themselves irrespective of a salary cap? Surely if a club has a turnover of £3m a season then spending less than this is common sense! Why there needs to be a strict figure for everyone baffles me. Especially as it was seemingly based on 'what the smallest club can afford' rather than a percentage of turnover.
Don't be coming on here with sensible and pragmatic ideas!

absolutely brilliant news ... well done PFA

of course the transfer window is now shut for this season though :rolleyes:

Do you think Oxford spend less than their turnover?

Brilliant news. Well done the PFA.

I can't tell from the BBC article whether that also means the squad limits is scrapped too. It may be explained in more depth in the Athletic article, if someone with a subscription could have a look?

EDIT: Squad limits remain. Not great, and I imagine something the PFA would also take aim at given it effectively limits the number of professional footballers that can possibly play in England, but getting rid of the wage cap was the main one.

According to this article, squad limits have been scrapped as well.

whats happened to squad size limits ? have they been binned too?

Precisely. I don’t understand the logic of ‘well, it’s impossible to spend within our means without the salary cap in place!’ SCMP works well if enforced properly.

I’m delving into @Essexyellows territory here but maybe a bit of personal responsibility from the clubs themselves is in order rather than everyone being nannied by the EFL’s salary cap.

That could make the difference between offering say Forde a new contract or not. It’ll save some careers certainly. As said above, you aren’t obliged to overspend, poorer clubs can play some kids and local players, even getting relegated isn’t the end of the world as long as fans have a club to support.

Back
Top Bottom