Eastwood handball v Dawson handball

I didn't know Easty was a former referee? (Sorry, couldn't resist. Punctuation is so important, you know?)

And, if that was a goal scoring opportunity, why was Taylor going in the opposite direction to the ball?
I don't "hate" all referees, I do have some strong reservations about some of the ego tripping, incompetent and ignorant few who are allowed to officiate in what is a professional sport with financial implications from the outcomes of their deficiencies.
Drysdale is well known for his idiosyncratic ways and fits my description for one due reservations.
Trevor Kettle on a par with Drysdale..... consistency in how the laws of the game are applied would be helpful.... sadly the FA seem only interested in PL, if at all

Trevor Kettle on a par with Drysdale..... consistency in how the laws of the game are applied would be helpful.... sadly the FA seem only interested in PL, if at all
Kettle is a nightmare. Remember his last visit to us, fourth official and yet he still managed to influence the outcome of the game. His antics on the touchline were a disgrace. The referee had him constantly in his ear and even making the call on colour of card at one point. He couldn't help himself from calling the shots. Egomaniac to the nth degree.

I have a big issue with PGMOL and Mike Riley, and their ongoing incompetence. They aren't helped by certain Refs injecting themselves into games, like yesterday. When the same offence is interpreted in 2 different ways, it rings alarm bells about how the Refs are managed and how the rules are created.

Don't normally post on here but enjoy reading the comments on here and was af the match and also thought the ref had a good game and kept good control of lively encounter.

He did well to allow us to play on after Sinclair was fouled and if Garbutt had scored we wouldn't even be having a conversation about was it a red or yellow.

Credit where credit is due in this case for me.

He did well to allow us to play on after Sinclair was fouled and if Garbutt had scored we wouldn't even be having a conversation about was it a red or yellow.

Credit where credit is due in this case for me.

...but then he did poorly to inadequately punish the original offence.

That Garbutt failed to score is an irrelevance.

If cynical scything fouls that could break Sinclair's leg are not punished, then they become a legitimate tactic for the defence, the art of 'taking one for the team'. Otherwise this is the equivalent of letting burglars off prison simply because they were nicked before they ran off with your telly!

Play on, goal or no goal, come back and give red card should have been the sequence of events, particularly when you've set a precedent by sending Eastwood off for effectively nothing.

...but then he did poorly to inadequately punish the original offence.

That Garbutt failed to score is an irrelevance.

If cynical scything fouls that could break Sinclair's leg are not punished, then they become a legitimate tactic for the defence, the art of 'taking one for the team'. Otherwise this is the equivalent of letting burglars off prison simply because they were nicked before they ran off with your telly!

Play on, goal or no goal, come back and give red card should have been the sequence of events, particularly when you've set a precedent by sending Eastwood off for effectively nothing.

The referee probably interpreted it as a simple tactical foul...allowing advantage there (correctly) means any cards for such an offence are no longer shown.

However, if the referee rates it as a more serious foul (i.e. where a card would have been awarded in any case) then of course this doesn't apply.

I do agree that the tackle at the end was worthy of at least a yellow, in any case.

The referee probably interpreted it as a simple tactical foul...allowing advantage there (correctly) means any cards for such an offence are no longer shown.

Don’t disagree one bit with the advantage being played, it’s just that Oxford scoring doesn’t negate that a serious foul arose and should be disciplined.

We’re also struggling with the either/or mentality for punishing fouls in the Australian rugby league that I watch weekly. Either sin-bin the defender or award the penalty try but never both; which detracts from one of the functions of punishment, which is that it should be a deterrent.

Maybe because he waved play on for the sinclair challenge? Thought if advantage is given only a yellow is allowed.

Is that true? So if an outfield player deliberately handballs it off the line and then the referee waves play on and the attacking team miss their follow up shot, its only a yellow?

Sounds very illogical to me. You are either denying a goalscoring opportunity or you are not. The referee making a mistake in playing advantage shoiuld not excuse that. Thats two mistakes by the referee rather than one in my book.

Drysdale is a shocking referee who we have had problems with before anyway, Surely he knew that Charltons forward are divers, everyone else does?

If it's a red card offence play can't go on.
Not true.

"Advantage

The referee may play advantage whenever an infringement or offence occurs.
The referee should consider the following circumstances in deciding whether to
apply the advantage or stop play:
• the severity of the offence: if the infringement warrants an expulsion, the
referee must stop play and send off the player unless there is a subsequent
opportunity to score a goal
"

So he could indeed have played advantage and then sent the bloke off. And should have.

So he could indeed have played advantage and then sent the bloke off. And should have.

Only if he deemed it serious foul play (a foul worthy of a red). The proviso of preventing a goalscoring opportunity no longer applies.
Apparently he didn't, but then again I wouldn't be surprised if he just massively cocked up as per usual.

Only if he deemed it serious foul play (a foul worthy of a red). The proviso of preventing a goalscoring opportunity no longer applies.
Apparently he didn't, but then again I wouldn't be surprised if he just massively cocked up as per usual.
That's something I didn't know. So if a player is through on an open goal, and a player fouls him (just a 'normal' foul, nothing crazy) the offender would just get a yellow card (or potentially just give away a free kick without even a yellow), the same as in any other situation on the pitch? Really?

That's something I didn't know. So if a player is through on an open goal, and a player fouls him (just a 'normal' foul, nothing crazy) the offender would just get a yellow card (or potentially just give away a free kick without even a yellow), the same as in any other situation on the pitch? Really?

Witnessed something similar myself in the flesh last year in Germany. Chance of a fast counter attack, was two on one. The sole defender (ex-Boro hatchet man Manny Pogatetz, incidentally) comes across and gives the attacker a nudge to put him off balance. Would have ordinarily been a yellow for a tactical foul (or even a red to be honest, but it was a long way out near the halfway line*). However, the ball squirmed away to the attacker's team mate who then continued the counter attack (advantage played)...he then put it just past the post and it went out for a goal kick IIRC.

However...Manny was not given a yellow as the "tactical foul" bit didn't "work" (as the tactic of fouling him, ergo a yellow card offence, "taking one for the team" etc. didn't come off).

If however the same situation occurred and Manny had hatcheted his leg off at the thigh then the situation would be the same BUT a red would then be shown for serious foul play.

That's how I understood it and how the debate online panned out at any rate.

* There is no such rule as "he was the last man" either, incidentally...that's another term that isn't in the laws.

Witnessed something similar myself in the flesh last year in Germany. Chance of a fast counter attack, was two on one. The sole defender (ex-Boro hatchet man Manny Pogatetz, incidentally) comes across and gives the attacker a nudge to put him off balance. Would have ordinarily been a yellow for a tactical foul (or even a red to be honest, but it was a long way out near the halfway line*). However, the ball squirmed away to the attacker's team mate who then continued the counter attack (advantage played)...he then put it just past the post and it went out for a goal kick IIRC.

However...Manny was not given a yellow as the "tactical foul" bit didn't "work" (as the tactic of fouling him, ergo a yellow card offence, "taking one for the team" etc. didn't come off).

If however the same situation occurred and Manny had hatcheted his leg off at the thigh then the situation would be the same BUT a red would then be shown for serious foul play.

That's how I understood it and how the debate online panned out at any rate.

* There is no such rule as "he was the last man" either, incidentally...that's another term that isn't in the laws.

This from the FA website states that all 'Denying a Goal or a Goal Scoring Opportunity' offences outside the box should result in a straight red:

Q11: Can a DOGSO offence outside the penalty area be punished with a caution (YC)?
NO – unlike a penalty kick, a free kick is not an obvious chance to score a goal so it does not ‘restore’ the obvious goal-scoring opportunity that was denied by the offence - the disciplinary sanction for all DOGSO offences outside the penalty area remains a sending-off (RC).