Ex Player Alex Rodriguez Gorrin

I’ve only been watching this season via iPlayer.

Once Eastwood came back from injury, in mid January (against Ipswich) he started really picking up his form.

Then there was the 4 months lay off & we looked ropey at times against Pompey.

First few pages of this thread are complete knee jerk. However, I agree with a lot of the more recent posts that a young season loanee would be the best approach.

The reason Eastwood has no competition is that he has always insisted on playing in every game, even in the MIckey Mouse cup so nobody else gets a chance. Maybe he is afraid of competition and I can see why as I have thought he was going downhill from the start of the season.

I’ve only been watching this season via iPlayer.

Once Eastwood came back from injury, in mid January (against Ipswich) he started really picking up his form.

Then there was the 4 months lay off & we looked ropey at times against Pompey.

First few pages of this thread are complete knee jerk. However, I agree with a lot of the more recent posts that a young season loanee would be the best approach.
With respect, if you have only the images from iFollow to go by, then you have missed out on a great deal. Easty has not been in the form he was a couple of seasons back. His distribution is poor, his command of the area lacking decisive and communicated actions. He is still a good keeper but just not enough for what we need to progress. The Wembley final demonstrated two glaring factors that are making his game risky. First, not taking control of an aerial cross and second not communicating with his defence. (or, as has been suggested, mistakenly saying "keepers")

Depends on quality. Is Moore, Atkinson, Mousinho and Jones good enough to sustain another top six push? Atkinson is completely untested above the Conference, Jones is 18, Mousinho is 34 and in the final year of his playing career, and Moore looks talented but has only played half a season of league games in England. There are a lot of question marks. If Moore were injured for even 2/3 months let alone longer it suddenly looks ropey.
Moore was awful in the play offs - chasing shadows /ducking balls - clear Dickie will go - need some Championship experience alongside Moore (unless we are going to start playing a sweeper)

The Easty scenario is a weird one - GK are really key and for the last few seasons Easty has been right up there for the vote of POS. How quickly we forget although you could argue you are only as good as your last game(s). He has made some brilliant stops, albeit moresoe in prior seasons, and he is clearly doing his best for the club. Wayne Brown just needs to work with him on crosses and distribution - LOTS! But the crosses issues arent just Easty. We have such a poor record scoring/defending from corners and set pieces (and even struggle to defend a long high ball) and its been a serious hole in our net.

You dont stop using the Indian you know, which has been generally tasty and great value for money, just because of one tasteless Korma.

We appear light in terms of an alternative and lets face it were lucky that 1) we managed to get Archer last year and 2) he wasn't a Mike Salmon

Its a huge thing to change a keeper. I think Easty has more to offer, just needs to get back a bit of confidence, which he would do if the creases/distribution issues were ironed out by the coaches. Be careful what we wish for....

goalie.jpg

Better the devil you know.....

Last edited:
With respect, if you have only the images from iFollow to go by, then you have missed out on a great deal. Easty has not been in the form he was a couple of seasons back. His distribution is poor, his command of the area lacking decisive and communicated actions. He is still a good keeper but just not enough for what we need to progress. The Wembley final demonstrated two glaring factors that are making his game risky. First, not taking control of an aerial cross and second not communicating with his defence. (or, as has been suggested, mistakenly saying "keepers")
Kind of ironic to use the Wembley game as evidence that you can't see Eastwood's weaknesses on iFollow.

The Eastwood situations reminds me of the De Gea situation at Man United. You have a keeper who's a fan favourite and has never let you down before, but you can see that he's on the decline. Mistakes are starting to creep in and he's not the keeper that he once was. The only question is when do you pull that trigger to replace him. Man United already have a replacement in Dean Henderson so could be an easier transition for them. We however don't.

From the spin session pictures released today, it looks like Sykes has provisionally been given the number 10 shirt for next season.
Yes, something I noticed too. I believe Sykes has been in negotiations about a contract extension and maybe part of that was being in the starting line up with a squad number that reflects that. However, we made a big thing of Gavin Whytes new shirt number last season so hopefully this doesn't bite us in the cycling shorts later!!!

Something changed when he returned from injury last year. KR had not publicly said anything negative about him up to that point, in fact it was endless comments on how he had the best player in League 1 and certainly the best keeper....he was on a pedestal. Ever since, if he has been asked about a save, KR would say that is what he is paid to do and nothing more glowing. Very strange change of public attitude about Easty. Something happened in KR's eyes I tell ya.

And then the form, which, let's be honest, almost got us knocked out against Portsmouth and was very culpable in the final. Our worst player in the PO's. Schmichel came back after a really bad year when everyone thought he was done, but let's face it, the family situation is a big issue you would think. Mind he has not done himself any favours of getting a good move....L1 at best or backup Champy if lucky.

Something changed when he returned from injury last year. KR had not publicly said anything negative about him up to that point, in fact it was endless comments on how he had the best player in League 1 and certainly the best keeper....he was on a pedestal. Ever since, if he has been asked about a save, KR would say that is what he is paid to do and nothing more glowing. Very strange change of public attitude about Easty. Something happened in KR's eyes I tell ya.
Eastwood disagreed with a few of Robinson’s post match comments towards the end of the 18/19 season. He went on Radio Oxford after a couple of games and Nathan put something Robinson had said to him, and rather than just nodding along with the sentiment he outright said something to the effect of, “No, I don’t think that’s right.” Happened two or three times. I definitely remember one occasion being after Doncaster away - I had it on the radio as I was driving back down the M1. Nothing earth shattering but slightly strange for a player to publicly do it the way he did, and it happened more than once. I do remember thinking at the time, “Well... that’s bold.” Doesn’t mean there has been a falling out or that there is some kind of rift, merely thought it relevant to what you posted. I did bring it up at the time as well. It was definitely unusual if nothing else.

I do know that we 100% tried to get Joe Day last summer before he signed for Cardiff, which combined with Mrs Eastwood looking for and subsequently getting a job back up north suggests that ideally he probably would’ve gone with them. His form last season was certainly the ropiest we have seen of him, and I think there is precisely zero chance of him remaining beyond this season. Were it not for Covid making things difficult for a lot of clubs financially I reckon he would’ve been off this summer. As it stands I think we’re both in it together for one more season.

Eastwood disagreed with a few of Robinson’s post match comments towards the end of the 18/19 season. He went on Radio Oxford after a couple of games and Nathan put something Robinson had said to him, and rather than just nodding along with the sentiment he outright said something to the effect of, “No, I don’t think that’s right.” Happened two or three times. I definitely remember one occasion being after Doncaster away - I had it on the radio as I was driving back down the M1. Nothing earth shattering but slightly strange for a player to publicly do it the way he did, and it happened more than once. I do remember thinking at the time, “Well... that’s bold.” Doesn’t mean there has been a falling out or that there is some kind of rift, merely thought it relevant to what you posted. I did bring it up at the time as well. It was definitely unusual if nothing else.

I do know that we 100% tried to get Joe Day last summer before he signed for Cardiff, which combined with Mrs Eastwood looking for and subsequently getting a job back up north suggests that ideally he probably would’ve gone with them. His form last season was certainly the ropiest we have seen of him, and I think there is precisely zero chance of him remaining beyond this season. Were it not for Covid making things difficult for a lot of clubs financially I reckon he would’ve been off this summer. As it stands I think we’re both in it together for one more season.

I know for a fact that Eastwood is actively trying to get a move back north. Not sure it will happen in this window but he won’t be our keeper beyond next summer.

Easy song choice (if we ever get to sing it) - the pink panther theme......

Dylan... Dylan..., Dylan, Dylan, Dylan, asonganyi iiiii

Back
Top Bottom