Drone

Oufcrealist

It was only a matter of time before an incident involving a drone caused chaotic disruption at an airport. Apart from the massive inconvenience etc I find it astonishing that one of these has actually closed an international airport for 16 hours and it's still not been dealt with!!
Absolutely ludicrous that this thing hasn't been taken down somehow.
In the longer term there needs to be tight regulation on who can own and fly one of these. In certain circumstances they can be useful things. But today's incident was coming and has proved that in the wrong hands they could be devastating!!

Financial terrorism.............. the new thing. Cheap to do, low risk..... huge impact.

How these things, described by the plod as "industrial" , are happily flying in & out and going back to base to re-charge is unbelievable.
Even more so when the larger "pro" drones send tons of data out to their controller and some to servers etc. leaving a digital trail/footprint the size of a house!

Someone will probably be getting their front door kicked in very soon....

Why couldn’t they just shoot it down? Absolutely no expert but seems the easiest option rather than leaving thousands stranded at Gatwick all day.

Why couldn’t they just shoot it down? Absolutely no expert but seems the easiest option rather than leaving thousands stranded at Gatwick all day.

If its above shotgun range there are a number of risks. Bullets landing somewhere random, said disabled drone landing somewhere unexpectedly. They are trying, but our local pheasant shoot would do better than this motley bunch...
1545319217331.png

Surely the military must have some sort of device that can trace and block the signal?

Surely the military must have some sort of device that can trace and block the signal?

Most of them run on 2.4ghz same as most peoples Wi-Fi. Seems this one is moving about, strikes me as intentional.

Bit of this will sort it out........ :)
1545321246393.png

Of course it is intentional. Also coincides with many schools being on holiday . . . .on one hand it would not surprise me in the least that when the dust settles, some rather red faced spotty youths with too much money and time end up in court (and most likely prison) for this. On the other, there is nothing to say this is not the start of something more coordinated across several airports...time will tell.

If its above shotgun range there are a number of risks. Bullets landing somewhere random, said disabled drone landing somewhere unexpectedly. They are trying, but our local pheasant shoot would do better than this motley bunch...
View attachment 946

As a country we must have something that shoots things out of the sky though? Seems a fairly basic defence thing?

Absolutely spot on. Emergency legislation to make them licenced. They are so easy to make a dangerous weapon out of.

This is very frustrating, isn't it? All the above 'solutions' have also crossed my mind and, I'm sure, the minds of the authorities, including the military. The fact it hasn't been shot down / netted / intercepted / had its signal blocked suggests there's no easy solution.

Or perhaps gov wants to rush through some emergency legislation ?

This feels like a smokescreen of some sort because not being able to shoot down a drone in 24 hours is silly right? I just can't conceive how a drone can fly this long and not be shot down or taken down. Seems odd to me.

This feels like a smokescreen of some sort because not being able to shoot down a drone in 24 hours is silly right? I just can't conceive how a drone can fly this long and not be shot down or taken down. Seems odd to me.
Crossed my mind too. Its ludicrous.
In Holland they trained eagles to bring them down so it can't be that hard!!
Makes you wonder if they are hiding something.

As a country we must have something that shoots things out of the sky though? Seems a fairly basic defence thing?

If its large yes, if its detectable yes. Sadly these things are (relatively) small and difficult to detect & target accurately.

If its large yes, if its detectable yes. Sadly these things are (relatively) small and difficult to detect & target accurately.

Cool.

So in the post-brexit world, I could probably seize control of the country with a couple of hundred drones?

Anyone who's thinking of buying me a Christmas present, can I have Amazon vouchers please?

Back
Top Bottom