Disappointing Service

Thehorse777

I’d be interested to know peoples thoughts on this situation I’ve been advised of this morning.

Due to work someone was unable to renew a season ticket.

Fortunately this changed temporarily to allow them
To attend the 3 games so far at home, this has now changed permanently so they can go to all of the remaining games.

Thwy contacted the club to renew, fully expecting to pay a pro rata rate for the remaining games but have been advised, despite attending the other three games at full price They would have to pay the full £330 for the season ticket.

I find this unreasonable as they are effectively expecting someone to pay twice for the games they have attended already.

Obviously there is a lot of good going on regarding things like the membership etc but it doesn’t really seem a fair way to treat someone who was willing to commit to the rest of the season.

Poor show from the club. They should be marketing season tickets for rest of the season at a rate that recognises the games we've already played and making a big point that it will guarantee a City ticket. Might get a few takers.

I don’t think the guarantee of a city ticket is important in this case, more so the convenience of not having to order on a game by game basis.

Personally I think offering a season ticket at any stage of the season on a pro rata basis dependant on the number of games left would be most sensible as if someone is willing to pay upfront you’d be mad to turn it down.

If it was me, I’d be less keen to attend games like the one tomorrow if I felt like the club was trying to rip me off by essentially charging me again for games I’d already paid full price to attend.

I appreciate, as much as anyone else how important it is to bring in as much revenue as possible, but alienating someone who’s been a long time supporter and a ST holder for many is not the way to do that.

Wonder if Mr mixter's rigid uncompromising, inflexible approach to all things being only black or white ,with no grey areas whatsoever, have 'infected ' the outlook and approach in the ticket office?:unsure: .....maybe contact kate Faulkner at oufc directly (think she's supporters liaison or similar) and also inform ox vox & maybe the situation will be resolved satisfactorily n amicably ....eventually ?:sneaky:

Last edited:
Playing devil's advocate, if the club allowed pro-rata season tickets, is that likely to eat into their ST revenue from people who are going to miss some games at the start of the season, or who want to wait and see if the team are any good before forking out for the full ticket?

And if you're allowed to trim games off the start of your ST package, should I be able to get a reduction because I'm away for a few weeks over Xmas/New Year?

Not saying that this means there shouldn't be something available but clubs offer season tickets at a discount because having a block of income all in one go is important to them, fiddling around with that might risk their cash flow.

May sound harsh but a "season ticket" is for the season. Not, as your friend desires, a ticket for as many games as he can attend. The Loungers fork out for two full season tickets at £650.00 a go already aware that we will, in all likelihood, miss some games. We will miss Coventry as on holiday in Spain. I cannot get off work in time for all the Tuesday evening games etc.
Granted, your friend has paid to attend 3 games but, he could still make a small saving on individual tickets and, have priority for tickets to non league games e.g. Carabao cup tie V. Man City.

I agree, to a point.

However, when it can be confirmed that the person in question has attended 2 of the 3 games played, at full price (which means the club is actually £4 including booking fees) better off than had they attended all 3 games on a season ticket at £14 per game it seems a little harsh to essentially charge them for those games twice.

Had those three games been missed deliberately then of course, I would understand the stance, but to essentially charge someone twice for attending those games is wrong and doesn’t help to maintain a good relationship.

I will suggest the alternative contacts as suggested above, however I feel the Season ticket ship may have sailed for this person now.

Again, I agree to a point.

However, given the “average” start to the season you would think the club would be keen to ensure as many season tickets as possible can be sold, if this home form continues then it’s highly unlikely that the attendance at all games can be guaranteed at full price.

Of course some games may be missed in the future but if you either choose not to attend or cannot attend you are clearly not going to request a refund, but to try and charge entry to something which has already occurred is in my opinion, completely wrong

That would never happen if Sarah and Mark Ashton were still there, i remember calling to pay for season ticket and was short of enough credit on my card and they still arranged it.

The club need cash flowing in the off season. If they made season tickets available all season, getting less expensive after every match, wouldn't people just wait too see what we're like after a couple of games before buying (or not)? I think there could be a small discount or gift, but nothing close to full value taken off for the games already played.

To be honest I don't think the club are out of order here. It's not the club's fault that after deciding to pay full whack for 3 games your friend was then able to attend every game for the remainder of the season. He would still save £110 over the season by buying a ST now.

Fans have the option of either getting a ST in the summer or wait and get a half ST at christmas time. I'm not sure the club should lose out.

I just re-read the post and think the original poster has a point.

The fan in question due to work (lack of?) couldn’t commit to a season ticket, but he still payed to attend the first 3 games.

His work situation has changed so he can now buy a season ticket. Even if the club offer him a pro-rata season ticket he has still payed more than other season ticket holders as he has paid ‘full price’ for the first 3 games.

If the club have a record of him paying for the first 3 games then I think he has a point. If they don’t then I understand their stance.

Does the full ST price still work out cheaper than the remaining individual match tickets?

The clue is in the name when you buy a season ticket you are buying a ticket for a season worth of games. If I buy sun cream midway through the summer I would not expect Boots to sell it me for half the price.

I’ve always assumed that season tickets give clubs collateral which they can use with the banks to ensure they can continue to run even if its a deficit. This idea of a sliding price would reduce early season ticket sales and affect the financial surefooting of a club.

I feel sorry for your friend but your friend has to choose whether to purchase or not to purchase and that would be the same at any club.

I just re-read the post and think the original poster has a point.

The fan in question due to work (lack of?) couldn’t commit to a season ticket, but he still payed to attend the first 3 games.

His work situation has changed so he can now buy a season ticket. Even if the club offer him a pro-rata season ticket he has still payed more than other season ticket holders as he has paid ‘full price’ for the first 3 games.

If the club have a record of him paying for the first 3 games then I think he has a point. If they don’t then I understand their stance.

Does the club really have time to do this calculation every time someone wants to suddenly buy in to a season ticket?

The clue is in the name when you buy a season ticket you are buying a ticket for a season worth of games. If I buy sun cream midway through the summer I would not expect Boots to sell it me for half the price.

I’ve always assumed that season tickets give clubs collateral which they can use with the banks to ensure they can continue to run even if its a deficit. This idea of a sliding price would reduce early season ticket sales and affect the financial surefooting of a club.

I feel sorry for your friend but your friend has to choose whether to purchase or not to purchase and that would be the same at any club.

Yup. Like early bird tickets for festivals. It’s cash flow.

Does the full ST price still work out cheaper than the remaining individual match tickets?

Yes, the remaining home games would cost £440 if you paid £22 a ticket. £400 if you paid the discounted membership rate.

Does the club really have time to do this calculation every time someone wants to suddenly buy in to a season ticket?

Not sure what systems they have in place, but I would guess these situations are relatively rare.

This situation is different to a fan who has not attended the first 3 games due to hols etc.

If the fan in question has paid ‘full price’ for first 3 games and was a previous season ticket holder then I think some discretion should be used.

Back
Top Bottom