General Dirty Oxford

Wallop

We’re starting to lose players due to 5 yellows, whilst we’re doing well this season, we’ve picked up more cards than every other team but the Maccams and this will hurt us.

Not ideal but against teams like Rotherham and Accrington we have stood up and competed.
It's the stupid bookings that are unnecessary (Taylor's at Accrington for example)
But Dickie missed today and we seem to have a very good squad. Taylor out next week. So Gorrin and Brannagan need to do alternative matches so Shandon can come in for a couple of games!

Last season we were too soft, so while the silly bookings are annoying, it shows we are competing. And with a more rounded squad, it only gives opportunities to others, like Moore today. With competition for places increasing, it's frustrating but kind of nice we're a more professional ;) team now

Last season we were too soft, so while the silly bookings are annoying, it shows we are competing. And with a more rounded squad, it only gives opportunities to others, like Moore today. With competition for places increasing, it's frustrating but kind of nice we're a more professional ;) team now
Agree with that. To go up a nasty streak can help. You cant be too nice

Figures don’t lie, but they also don’t tell the full story.
The bulk of our cards have largely come as a result of frustration at the continued,sub standard match officials and there unwillingness to “protect” our players.
We generally play a good level of attacking football and as a result our players are subjected to a good deal of target practice by the opposition.

Very good point. Yellow cards= Poor play v poor officiating. From what I’ve seen, once a weak official shows an early yellow they flow for the most innocuous of reasons. Silly cards being a consequence of this.

Mackie and Taylor both play on the edge and we have to accept that for all the fight and handling of the defence, they will pick up bookings. But beyond that I'd say that we've been fairly well disciplined.

Mous picked up bookings in his first 3 games, Gorrin in his first 4. Since then they've played with much more discipline and are judging their challenges much better. Equally, Brannagan was trying to do too much in the early games and was jumping in too early, but is now staying on his feet much more.

We certainly no longer a push over, but I'd question how anyone could consider us a dirty side. What we do is meet the opposition on their level, rush, hassle and battle them to create the space for us to pull them apart - and long may it continue.

Mackie and Taylor both play on the edge and we have to accept that for all the fight and handling of the defence, they will pick up bookings. But beyond that I'd say that we've been fairly well disciplined.

Mous picked up bookings in his first 3 games, Gorrin in his first 4. Since then they've played with much more discipline and are judging their challenges much better. Equally, Brannagan was trying to do too much in the early games and was jumping in too early, but is now staying on his feet much more.

We certainly no longer a push over, but I'd question how anyone could consider us a dirty side. What we do is meet the opposition on their level, rush, hassle and battle them to create the space for us to pull them apart - and long may it continue.

Totally agree, it's great to see the tenacity on the pitch. Its also lovely to see the edge to us as a team, Mous taking charge, Mackie and Taylor really giving it to some defences. Fosu on the ball, his confidence as he runs at defences must be so difficult to be faced with, it's almost as if he glides past them and accelerates away at times. Beautiful football to see.

Does anybody have a definitive list of EFL bookings for Oxford this season. I understand Mackie, Branagan and Gorrin are on 4. Anyone on 3?

Figures don’t lie, but they also don’t tell the full story.
The bulk of our cards have largely come as a result of frustration at the continued,sub standard match officials and there unwillingness to “protect” our players.
We generally play a good level of attacking football and as a result our players are subjected to a good deal of target practice by the opposition.
A classic situation in poor referees was the challenge on Woodburn by the Acky player the result a throw to them absolute bollox should have been at least a yellow.

Back
Top Bottom