Development side matches

RATC

Development side played Kidderminster U23 today and won 9-0 Mehmeti with 4, Noel-Williams,Napa,Ashby,Pekalski and Tiendalli i repeat TIENDALLI scored.

Great to have development side back allowing youth to mix with experience. Dan Harris doing a superb job at the club.

Thought it'd be appropriate to have a thread for all Development results.

Thanks for this. Any chance of posting when a game is coming up?

I think they are pretty random at the min just arranging friendlies where they can. Be good if they entered into an u23 league next season with published fixtures. Who knows in a couple of years we might be back at Wembley in the jpt final watching oxford b [emoji6]

Club have been against being in a league with actual fixtures for a number of years, preferring to pick and choose dates and standard of opposition according to which players we want to field.
Trouble with an actual league is that fixtures may clash with first team games, which immediately take 18 players out of selection, meaning that the XI we field will not be as strong as if we can pick dates and include those fringe players who are on the first team bench.
Personally I'd prefer to be in a league but I can see why we aren't

I like a league structure; I know the fixtures may clash with first-team games and players have to be swopped in and out but we've a reasonably sizeable squad and there's a youth team too.

How many of our younger lads are currently loaned out at the moment, for instance?

I like a league structure; I know the fixtures may clash with first-team games and players have to be swopped in and out but we've a reasonably sizeable squad and there's a youth team too.

How many of our younger lads are currently loaned out at the moment, for instance?

Exactly it’s not really for the benefit of those in the first team matchday squad so doesn’t matter if it clashes, it’s for those currently in between youth and first team squads and those coming back from injury that ain’t getting the game time to get fit enough to be on the bench

Firstly, let me say that personally I've always liked to have our reserves &/or devs in a league structure, so we can track progress and perhaps even pop along to watch them if we know in advance when a game is being played..

BUT, the question is whether it suits the club and whether it suits the main players involved - for instance, is it better to have our better youngsters out on loan for 6m/season, to get regular competitive football, or will they do better staying together as a unit and playing in a league against their U23 peers at other clubs?

Jack STevens has been playing every week on loan at Oxford City & now Tamworth, Sam Long and Shandon baptiste at Hampton & RIchard (as was Napa up to Christmas), James Roberts at Guisely - so would they be better doing that or playing a few U23 games with us?

Then again, it does appear that certain young players have been largely written off by some people within the staff, and either dispatched 'out of sight, out of mind' on loan, or just abandoned in the reserves....I just hope that Robinson gets a chance to assess these people for himself rather than relying on the word of others.

Firstly, let me say that personally I've always liked to have our reserves &/or devs in a league structure, so we can track progress and perhaps even pop along to watch them if we know in advance when a game is being played..

BUT, the question is whether it suits the club and whether it suits the main players involved - for instance, is it better to have our better youngsters out on loan for 6m/season, to get regular competitive football, or will they do better staying together as a unit and playing in a league against their U23 peers at other clubs?

Jack STevens has been playing every week on loan at Oxford City & now Tamworth, Sam Long and Shandon baptiste at Hampton & RIchard (as was Napa up to Christmas), James Roberts at Guisely - so would they be better doing that or playing a few U23 games with us?

Then again, it does appear that certain young players have been largely written off by some people within the staff, and either dispatched 'out of sight, out of mind' on loan, or just abandoned in the reserves....I just hope that Robinson gets a chance to assess these people for himself rather than relying on the word of others.

An interesting predicament for the club. When many are looking to scrap academies (even have fans financing academies) I think this is a good problem to have.

Without knowing too much, is it possible to have both loan and U23?

I’m sure some players have trained with us whilst playing for loan clubs!?

Out of interest, who do you feel has been forgotten about? Ashby?

Some loan deals can be structured to allow players to still play for their real club - though I think there are generally more for the youth teamers who have gone out locally to step 4/5 clubs rather than the more serious ones to Conference/Step2 sides who are expecting to play every week for their loan club.
The other thing about a U23 league is that it can lead to mismatches in standard between the two sides - eg if one team has a midweek 1st team game and the other doesnt, so can put in more senior players. This was brought home to me once a while back when we were in the youth team leagus and a reserve team league, where out U18s played a youth game on the Saturday in Plymouth, then most were involved in a reserve game on the Monday away against a very strong Ipswich reserve side and got battered 9-0.

As for players being forgotten, I get the sense that Faz had made his mind up about some of them a long time ago - eg Ashby, Roberts, possibly Long - so is happy to ignore them, whereas Pep was a bit more positive. I just hope that KR gets opportunity to make his own mind up about them, rather than be led into ditching them just on Faz's word.

As a general suggestion perhaps a dedicated section on YF for Dev Squad, U23, U18 and OUFC ladies?

As a general suggestion perhaps a dedicated section on YF for Dev Squad, U23, U18 and OUFC ladies?

Yeah, I certainly wouldn’t be against this. Obviously up to the powers that be, but I wouldn’t mind a space to ramble on about OUWFC / women’s football.

Oh and OUWFC have a developmental/reserve squad within a league structure.

Back
Top Bottom