Championship Derby in trouble

If I was a betting man which I'm.not BTW I would put a nice sum on derby winning promotion this season

Has it been confirmed that they have paid the HMRC the £30M they owed?
I think they owed other footbal creditors £10M too.

Questions have to be asked how HMRC allowed it to get to that amount and also whether Mel Morris should face charges for non payment.

Judging by the first 3 signings they've made, they don't seem to have learnt too many lessons and it could be s**t or bust if they don't go straight back up.

I know it's a different situation and Derby are rightly (and happily) out of the s**t now, but, as with Wigan last season, there is something pretty galling about clubs going right to the wire overspending to get out of a division, surviving financially by the skin of their teeth, and the very next season going out and buying the league. Presumably this iteration of James Collins won't be the same standard as the one from 2018-19, and it's not nearly as bad as Wigan getting Charlie Wyke on 10k a week last year (and then losing him for the year to injury and replacing him with Josh Magennis), but still.

I know it's a different situation and Derby are rightly (and happily) out of the s**t now, but, as with Wigan last season, there is something pretty galling about clubs going right to the wire overspending to get out of a division, surviving financially by the skin of their teeth, and the very next season going out and buying the league. Presumably this iteration of James Collins won't be the same standard as the one from 2018-19, and it's not nearly as bad as Wigan getting Charlie Wyke on 10k a week last year (and then losing him for the year to injury and replacing him with Josh Magennis), but still.
If only the EFL acted responsibly when clubs in this situation are prevented for a season at least from doing what Wigan and it appears Derby as well, just so there finances can be scrutinised to make sure they’re not I the same position later.

If only the EFL acted responsibly when clubs in this situation are prevented for a season at least from doing what Wigan and it appears Derby as well, just so there finances can be scrutinised to make sure they’re not I the same position later.
They are scrutinised.
Had to present a 2 year business plan and still have caps around what they can spend on wages (believed to be capped 8k a week for Derby) and any fees.

Have to remember they're basically debt free now, will sell pushing towards 20k season tickets and get chunky sponsorship deals because of the name "Derby County".

It's effectively a clean slate so starting from a strong position, this isn't a Sunderland in disarray dropping into League 1.
For all intents and purposes, this is basically a club who without points deductions, would have finished 18 points clear of the relegation zone in the Championship. Yes they've lost players, but a reasonable number of them were young talents who were thrown in because they could barely sign any one last season. As it stands, all the more senior pros who were contracted, still remain contracted, plus the likes of Curtis Davies, Craig Forsyth and Richard Stearman are expected to sign new deals.

They should absolutely walk the league. But hoping there's a bit of an Ipswich type slow momentum thing that goes on.

They are scrutinised.
Had to present a 2 year business plan and still have caps around what they can spend on wages (believed to be capped 8k a week for Derby) and any fees.

Have to remember they're basically debt free now, will sell pushing towards 20k season tickets and get chunky sponsorship deals because of the name "Derby County".

It's effectively a clean slate so starting from a strong position, this isn't a Sunderland in disarray dropping into League 1.
For all intents and purposes, this is basically a club who without points deductions, would have finished 18 points clear of the relegation zone in the Championship. Yes they've lost players, but a reasonable number of them were young talents who were thrown in because they could barely sign any one last season. As it stands, all the more senior pros who were contracted, still remain contracted, plus the likes of Curtis Davies, Craig Forsyth and Richard Stearman are expected to sign new deals.

They should absolutely walk the league. But hoping there's a bit of an Ipswich type slow momentum thing that goes on.
But I also look at Wigan who aren’t that much bigger a club than us with the signings they made last season and the wage bill they must have had in reference to FFP.

They are scrutinised.

The overall cap should be the Division average budget for the 1st season, with players on existing contracts given a Division average salary (like the squad wage that was part of the rules chucked out) for clubs in this situation.

It would stop the pee take in the 1st year.

Looks like there will only be two promotion spots up for grabs this season, with what they already have and the standard of players being bought in they will go straight back up. Competing with Ipswich, Sheffield Wednesday for those spots is going to be hard.

It’s nice to see big clubs come down as we get to play them but it does make getting out of this division harder and harder, that play off loss to Wycombe and the loss of income it caused seems worse with every season.

The overall cap should be the Division average budget for the 1st season, with players on existing contracts given a Division average salary (like the squad wage that was part of the rules chucked out) for clubs in this situation.

Well put

But if you have a business plan and proof of funding that shows you can spend beyond that - why should you be stopped from doing so?
The new ownership at Derby/Wigan etc. have nothing to do with what went on before.

The full salary cap for the league is another discussion entirely and one that I think should be re-visited if they can find a way to make it logical across the league.

Looks like there will only be two promotion spots up for grabs this season, with what they already have and the standard of players being bought in they will go straight back up. Competing with Ipswich, Sheffield Wednesday for those spots is going to be hard.

It’s nice to see big clubs come down as we get to play them but it does make getting out of this division harder and harder, that play off loss to Wycombe and the loss of income it caused seems worse with every season.
I would guess that it won't be as simple as that.
Derby have to almost start again and whilst they seem to bringing in good players as we know you can't just buy your way out of this league.
If you could, Sunderland would have won the league every year, and Sheff W, Ipswich would have gone up last season

How many of the relegation team are still there? They had some good young players, they could well be in a stronger position than those other teams.

But if you have a business plan and proof of funding that shows you can spend beyond that - why should you be stopped from doing so?
The new ownership at Derby/Wigan etc. have nothing to do with what went on before.

The full salary cap for the league is another discussion entirely and one that I think should be re-visited if they can find a way to make it logical across the league.

Because it is a consequence of the club's financial shenanigans previously. The new ownership might have nothing to do with before, but the club which is its own legal entity did.

It stops the immediate pee take which is why I said for one season.

Back
Top Bottom