Championship Derby in trouble

Loan financing required to meet the costs of issuing season tickets is quite unbelievable. No credit card company would go anywhere near them so there would be no money protection if a Derby supporter bought one and they did get liquidated, it seems unfair for the administrators to actually offer something for sale without being able to guarantee the product would be provided (is this even legal to do this?) or that the supporters can get 100% of their money back if the club did fold (the supporters money should be ringfenced just in case).

I see that the UK taxpayer is also at further risk of another £9m so far in unpaid taxes, this extra the amount built up since they went into administration to date which is so high because the administrators have taken so long over this. The EFL clearly have not learnt the recent lessons of Bury and Bolton and Macclesfield which very obviously went wrong and looks like happening again. But the administrators have been hopeless and now seem to be more concerned about saving face and dodging bullets rather than doing the job that they are being extremely well paid to do.

Is there a 'fit and proper' test for administrators?

I think there might need to be one....

Derby seem to be getting special treatment.I am sure plenty of clubs would not be getting away with what they’ve done
Yep, worked out well when we played Bolton early in the 19/20 season and they'd been in a similar situation - I seem to remember they had conceded 5 regularly and then 6 to Rotherham and we managed a tidy 0-0!

Sorry, meant to link to WY's post hoping we meet them early in the season!

Yep, worked out well when we played Bolton early in the 19/20 season and they'd been in a similar situation - I seem to remember they had conceded 5 regularly and then 6 to Rotherham and we managed a tidy 0-0!

Sorry, meant to link to WY's post hoping we meet them early in the season!
We played them when they had just got a whole lot of first team players signed so we actually missed out on playing their youth team!

We played them when they had just got a whole lot of first team players signed so we actually missed out on playing their youth team!
I believe their fans ended their boycott as well for that game, meaning there was a large attendance which hadn't happened earlier in the season.

When we’re we last at home first game of the season… seems quite a while ago, 3/4 seasons ago?

But they were still an assortment of out-of-contract players, loans and various odds-and-sods who had only been there a few days!

But they were still an assortment of out-of-contract players, loans and various odds-and-sods who had only been there a few days!

Yeah, 10 of the XI that we played had been in the squad that had gotten drubbed 6-1 by Rotherham three days earlier!
It was basically a free three points, and we were utter rubbish that day!!

Though to be fair, Coventry also managed to draw 0-0 with them second game of the season.....and they ended up winning the league by some distance!

Very interesting. He was the one who had agreed the stadium deal on the side of the Kirchner bid.

Fairly rich but not Ashley levels. Wouldn't surprise me if he sells on quite quickly.

But in the meantime, assuming he completes, it wouldn't surprise me to see things move quickly in terms of squad recruitment.

Last edited:
Good thing for Derby, and for football in general.

Not so good for us - I was hoping it would drag out for a couple more weeks so that they wouldn't have a proper team until August 1st! Sounds like they'll probably be a threat by opening day now, assuming that Rooney already has some irons in the fire.......

Back
Top Bottom